Register now to get rid of these ads!

I know theres some trick to get a car temporarily shiny to see waves in panels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Well I officially get it now why people take their car to bare metal. if my situation were different that would've been a smart move. Next time. Meanwhile, I'm trying to decide if I can get this straight enough for shiny paint, or sucky suede.

Is there a trick to make it shiny(its not primered, it has old paint, bare metal, and bondo in areas) so I can get an idea of what it'd look like?

I know I saw a guy use something on his car and shine a light on it to see waves, I just cant remember what he did.

Thanks much!

2. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

3. Yes but you forgot the water!

4. wipe the panel down with wax and grease remover, it will make it shiny.

5. Yup. Turn on the hose.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

That's because mine spouts Cuervo... :D

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

So the hose is cool even with bare metal and putty?

I thought id ask first before doing this as I've seen flash rusting and its kinda remarkable. Id like not to see it again but maybe you just deal with it?

8. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

^^^ That's why I use wax and grease remover. No chance of flash-rust, PLUS, it stays shiny longer.

9. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

It's also a good idea to get it under primer as soon as you can. It's much easier to block out imperfections when you prime and "guide-coat".

10. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

use a pressurized sprayer like a sure shot with wax and grease remover.

11. Ob1

Ob1

Hand sand it perpendicular to the curves with 80 grit, then long block it with 180 grit with the curve.

80 grit scratches will be low spots, 180 shine will be isolated high spots or level.

12. Bingo.

13. Works like a champ!

14. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

Johnny2090, If you dont want to use up your grease remover, just "paint" it with a thin coat of water with a fine grain sponge.

15. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

Water. I wouldn't put wax and grease remover if there is bondo. If you have bare metal prime it first. My OPINION.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Get a paper towel, and wipe the car with the paper towel between your flat hand and the car. You'll feel all the waves in it....

17. Model T1

Model T1

I use sanding blocks and hand sand with a long board. I also use water to wet sand. Therefore the metal is wet and shiny. As was mentioned earlier, a hose with water coming out works well at very little cost.
    Whether wet sanding or only running water over your panel to check for smoothness, you are gonna wipe dry when finished. Can't get much more damp than NW Floriduuuh!

18. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

your gonna have to prime before you paint anyway.. so prime it, and get to fillin' and sandin '

19. Exactly, you'll feel more with a dry rag than you can see.

20. maybelene

maybelene

I too like a water hose and wet sanding but if its really a long panel I sometimes wipe it down with Go Jo hand cleaner. makes it shiny and is water soluble. I work out the spots with a hammer or dent puller while its shiny, then work it over with the water and sandpaper which removes most of the Go Jo.

21. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

thats a cool tip...
    i'm gonna try that one

22. Bugguts

Bugguts

I've been doing bodywork for 30 years, and never have I used a hose and water.It is against everything that is correct. Water and bare metal equals rust. Water and body filler equals rust. Unless the filler is a fiberglass filler, it's main ingredient is talc. Talc absorbs water. That's why it's used on baby's butts as in baby powder. The water will be absorbed and work its way to the metal below and rust. Use grease and wax remover if you must, but learn how to use your hand to feel the panel. Good luck.

23. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

wax and grease remover

24. I agree. Feel your bodywork, etch and prime it with a wetter coat to see before it flashes. I have used water or grease remover after a block sanding the primer with 400 grit thou.

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hate to throw this into the mix, but I've been pondering... What about KY Jelly? Water soluble and would leave a sheen until you wiped it off with a damp rag. That way you're not just soaking the shit down with water waiting for the rust to appear.

26. belair

belair

Insert clever comment here: ________________

27. Model T1

Model T1

Insert clever comment here: ________________
    Of course, after rough sanding any bodywork, a coat of primer is needed to protect the metal before wet sanding. A rattle can of shiny paint as a flash coat shows high and low spots plus gives a temporary gloss.
    As in using KY jelly for what it's made for, rubbing with fingers and hands shows the high and low spots on any bodywork. I'm talkin cars here!:)

28. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

yep or you can buy 'high lighting fluid' used for metal finishing.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I just know my sheep are VERY shiny when the morning sun hits them... :D

30. I used to do paintwork/But not now tho,.........
    a good method to use is these two.....

in a dark or Un lighted shop,take your "trouble light",and hold it at the side where you can look the panel over closely from all angles= the light does not lie:)...It will show all the flaws....mark them with a fine point =erasable= marker for redoing them....
    another surefire way is a mistcoat of glossy Black laquer from a rattlecan[can sand easily off after the looksee......also it makes good "guidecoat" for sanding....