Register now to get rid of these ads!

I keep toasting starters on the Caddy....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacKid, Feb 27, 2004.

1. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I keep getting dead spots in each starter I've put on my '59 Cadillac...keep in mind here, I've got a transmission adapter on the Caddy 390...adapter's from Wilcap...trans is a Turbo 400...the starters are Mopar 318 starters that I got from Napa....you've gotta run a mopar starter with this conversion....each starter I've got from has been a remanned one...is this why i'm toasting 'em? Or is it because I'm running basically a factory 318 part on a 390 cubic inch mill, and it can't handle the extra cubes or compression (10.5:1)? If I run a brand new high torque starter on it from Jegs or Summit, will my problems be history, or is it something else? I got the lifetime warranty starter from Napa when i purchased it the first time around, so I've just been taking the bad starters back and they've been giving me replacements without any hastle, but I'm on the 3rd one now, and I'm getting kinda tired of changing starters every couple of weeks...just thought i'd see if anybody had any input on this before i go to break the car out for the spring in a couple of weeks, or before i go and put one of these Napa starters on the 390 caddy mill going into my model A...thanks-

2. head

head

the problem shoundnt be the motor size, or comp. is the starter to tight, needs shiming. or it could be a voltage problem. need more info ? how long does it take to burn up.

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    or it could be a voltage problem.

[/ QUOTE ] sounds like it to me.do you have the biggest available gauge battery cables yet? you should,considering they're only a couple bucks more than the scrawny ones.do you have a ground strap from the engine to the frame? [​IMG]

4. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

I have a 390, too - albeit a Ford - that eats starters for lunch, but my prob is heat. Does yer Caddy put out a lot of heat? Enough to shorten a starter's life? I'm in the same vicious circle of only getting Napa or Kragen starters, I wonder if a supreme 'un from Summit, etc. would be worth the bucks... or would be eaten up just as quick. I need to fab a heatshield for it, maybe that would help you out, too.

5. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

do a voltage drop test & see where you are on this...should be less than .03 volt. check the ground cable , and how the block is grounded as well...as for the starter, i know the drill, lifetime warranty is great, but changing starters to use it sucks [​IMG] one last alternative (if all else fails) see if they have a Bosch starter for your particular application

6. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Hey Head-
    It ussually takes about 2 weeks for the starters to begin takin' a shit...the starter bolts right to the adapter plate, fits perfect...no shims required...The battery cables are from Summit...battery in trunk kit that they sell...yeah, the cables are heavy duty...I've got one ground strap from the starter to the frame, but none of the other ones that used to go from the back of the heads to the firewall...Is the one strap enough, or should I add the other 2 back on? The Caddy was fine for the first 2 years after the rebuild....had that starter on there with no probs....until it got a dead spot in it...I was wondering the same thing about getting a summit starter and possibly just burnin' that up too....mikeyboy...by voltage drop do you mean how far the voltage drops when I hit the key? Thanks for helping me out guys...

7. Hey Kid,
    Get an aftermarket Hi-Torque mini starter,Summitt has em
    seen them new on E-Bay about $150.
    I have one on my `59 Caddy motor with the WilCamp adaptor,
    the motor really whirls over,going on 3 years no problem.
    I got another rod with a `54 Caddy and had to have the stock
    starter rewound for more torque heavy duty and the motor doesn`t turn over anywhere near as fast as the small MoPar
    hi-torque.

Good Luck...JR..

8. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Thanks for the info JR...that's prolly what I'm gonna try...Do I have to worry about any of that other stuff, or do you think that Napa's starter's are just not high torque enough?

9. I think Napa is a rebuilt or new stock type,the mini one
    has a gear reduction in it,they are powerful.
    JR...

10. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Thanks Blownranger...I'm gonna try the gear reduction starter...if anybody has any thoughts on the block grounding let me know too....

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Tell you what....

put a starter on her....fill up the tank, drive her to Texas. I'll trade you for the "A".

rent a truck, throw the "A" in the box, drive her home...

no more starter problems. [​IMG]