Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects i just want something to cruise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indawaitinroom, Jun 24, 2011.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rust repair panel.

im still tossing around gas tank options, im not a huge fan of the mustang tank just because judging by the pics i have seen, it looks to only be held in my the outer flange screwed to the trunkfloor? i may end up just biting it and saving up for a sheet of stainless so i can make a tank that will bolt onto the tophat lips of my frame... maybe...

thanks for the ideas though, and kind words. hopefully ill have some progress pics up soon, been spending alot of time finish welding all the tubing on my frame and making small adjustments and gussets along the way. nothing groundbreaking or terribly interesting.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. Tony

Tony

Lookin good man.
    Here's a thought on using a mustang tank, but not using the floor to mount it. What about making a perimeter flange, for lack of a better description, to use the tank, but mount it to the frame like you want?
    You'd be able to make it stout enough just by using something like a 1x1 box frame?
    Just a random thought, may not be a good one though. i manage one good idea to 20 shit ones :)

Or to be very simple just mount the tank in the trunk, but build frame work under it for added support? i'm rambling now.............

Talk to ya soon..u need to get out to the secret impala hide out! haha

Tony

3. yeah thats not a bad idea tony, i just wish i had a mustang tank i could look at and measure up without having to drop the cash before i decide weather or not it will work! hah.

i definately need to get out man! if you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods, stop in and witness this mess first hand! your always welcome!

4. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Stainless is expensive. Consider this. what you have done so far is what you wanted. It is nice. Will you be satisfied with less than the stainless you really want?
    Sometimes, we get so much money wrapped up in these cars, another $400.00 does not matter. Does it?

5. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

I must agree for all the work you have done what's a extra $400? I think you'd much happier in the long run. Whatever you do its still going to kick ass GREAT JOB wish I had that kind of talent

6. Awesome work!!!

Thanks for sharing!

As for the tank, there is a local aluminum boat builer in my area who also builds many of the old car fuel tanks around here. I'm not sure if that material would work for you, but he does some really nice work. Just a thought if you have any aluminum fab shops near you who would build one, or if a sheet of Al would be any less expensive than the stainless?

7. finkd

finkd
    Alliance Vendor

very nice work, I wish i could do chassis work like that. !

8. Wardog

Wardog

Aluminium is usualy alot cheaper than stainless, if you end up going with stainless be sure to use the correct grade i think its 312 for vessels. If you use the 304, or 316 that are the more common food industry grades you might run in to trouble with it cracking later on down the track.

P.S. I work in the food industry, I'm not just regurgitating second hand info.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. thanks for the heads up on the 312 stainless!! i had just planned to buy a sheet of 304, its what ive always used in the past.... but didnt realize they make a stainless designed for tanks, or "vessels"

i had planned to make a tank out of aluminum originally, and it would be much cheaper, but decided against it for a couple reasons, one being the fear of cracking an aluminum tank with the abuse a normal street driven vehicle will see, and two, ive heard rumors of ethanol in todays gas starting to corrode aluminum fuel cells.

but that last one could be just a rumor. thanks again for the info.

10. Tony

Tony

I have one buddy who *may* have a tank i can grab for you to check out if it's not in his car already. I'll check with him and get back to you.
    And i should be buttoning up most of the shit i've been doing this week, so i'll try and make some time to head your way before the snow fly's.
    I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

Tony

11. cruiser51

cruiser51

thanks for sharing. thats art work to me. that frame looks sweet.

12. BirdGuy

BirdGuy
    from Central PA

Thanks for taking time to share your work - pure art!

13. thanks for all the positive comments everyone. new page, needs new pics.

[​IMG]
    el polacko told me to add this tab so i did. no questions.

[​IMG]
    this is the part of the frame that hangs below the rockers on these chevies. i mean... hung below the rockers.

[​IMG]
    i also sectioned, shortened, and reinforced the front body mount, cause it hung below the rockers, and with the stock k member gone, it didnt need to be soo long.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cant wait to cover this all up with sheetmetal!

14. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

15. Gonna be a sweet ride - kick ass work, man!

16. thanks for the compliments!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

didnt want to leave you all hangin.

17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MA

nice welds, I need more practice

18. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tacked up. with the mig. getting it to line all back up was hard enough. forget tacking this with the tig. thats over my head.

19. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like about 2"? vic

20. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

wow that is some very good work man. Lookin great keep it up. Oh and I just want something to crusie in also do you wanna come by the shop and get mine going to:D

21. exactly.

thanks for lookin.

22. Wardog

Wardog

Are the welds around the wheel openings the result of you moving them further down the quater to have the apperance of a lower car?
    If so thats a realy cool idea and a good one to have now rather than after all of the body work has been done.

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

24. wardog you are correct, i moved the wheel openings down 1". exactly half the ammount of the section. i am hoping that once everything is all back together and done, i can put the trim back on and it will be hard to notice exactly what happened.

thanks.

25. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Wow, amazing work. Love the section and dropping the wheel opening like that.

26. HotRod33

HotRod33
    from MO

it is almost ashamed to cover up the chassie but the car is looking great......

27. thesleezyt

thesleezyt
    from wyoming

Damn mat looks killer! Get this beast done.

28. Holy shit man, ive seen way worse work on airplanes and helos. Now my question is what have you built bike wise!

If I could do half as good as that right now id be impressed. Great job man.

29. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Very nice work! Congratulation!