Register now to get rid of these ads!

I inherited my Grandpa's car today, hell yeah

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theloosecannon707, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Grandpas are the best. May you drive and enjoy it in your grandpa's memory...I hope you were close to him (unlike like the cnut grand-daughter in Gran Torino).

327 car. I am guessing a PG on the floor. To me, there isn't too much unusual about the car on the surface that would compel the dealership owner to special order it that way, unless the color is uncommon (wouldn't know, being an 'indian head').

Anyway, congrats on the family heirloom. Don't fnck with it; instead, make memories in it by driving the GD wheels off it. Your Grandpa would approve.

2. 54FordPanel

54FordPanel

Do you know what dealer he bought it from?

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I always wanted my grandfathers '54 Chevy pickup as he taught me how to drive with it. Actually he taught me how to drive on a '48 Oliver tractor but the pickup was my first road experience. Unfortunately, the truck was already promised to my cousin. After he pased away my grandmother came to me and presented me with his deer rifle. Everybody in the family (including the females) wanted that gun as he had taught all of them to hunt using that rifle. She told me that he wanted me to have it and made her promise to give it to me after he died. Best inheritance I've ever gotten. Yours is special also and if it were me I would never get rid of it.

Frank

4. Very cool! What a great car to have and restore with all that family history and all. I love '62 Chevys!!

5. 454navyss

454navyss

nice man. good luck with restoring it. whats the story with the camaro next to it?

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one question: what is wrong with your Uncles? who would leave a 62 Impala outside??

7. Great car, great plan!

8. gr855

gr855

Grandpa's are full of love and your grandpa must of loved you very much. Make sure that you cherrish and love that car as much as he loved you.

9. Cool car, glad to hear your going to take care of it the right way.

10. nice CAR!!! here is the truck my grandfather left to me in 06 when hed passed away he bought it new and used it for a shop truck

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Labold

Labold

I dig it!

12. alsancle

alsancle

I like that truck a lot. Very cool.

13. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

One word for ya...BITCHEN !

14. jason65

jason65

Congrats on the car. Good luck with your build.

15. nofin

nofin
    from australia

nice one.

My Dad just bought a brand new Hyundai. When he goes I'm going to be gracious and let my brother have it. I'll insist upon it...

16. Dave K

Dave K

+1

Unless you have a huge pile of money you need to burn up that car looks like it only needs to be cleaned up and driven. Unless you have your finance 100% in order you should hold off on tearing it apart and enjoy it as is.

17. papastoyss

papastoyss

Nice car, nicer story. I would get the car titled in your name first order of business , ya never know what might change about whose car it is now.

18. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

You have a very cool convertible!

In 1979 my dad decided he was going to get back into hot rods so he bought a 1956 Bel Air two door hard top with factory power windows and it was a factory A/C car. Power pack 265 with a 4 speed on the floor. We spent 3 years on it. Around 1996 he gave the car to me. In 2001 I lost the car in a mean spirited divorce/custody battle. *#%! I miss that car.

Attached Files:

19. Love the car as I have a real soft spot for 62s -the lines are just classic, smooth, beautiful. I owned a 62 Impala that I converted to an all 62 409/409, 4-speed with much of the correct stuff on it. It went out to Minnesota about the time I bought my first 40 Ford - I hated to see it go but that's just how it goes sometimes ....

Good luck with it as it's a real treat to get something as original as you have, especially that came from the family!

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Nice car. It reminds me of my friend. I gave him a drill press a few years ago. I delivered it to his garage. When we put the drill press in the garage, I noticed the a car in the corner, covered by a tarp. I told him, "That looks like a corvette!". He pulls the cover off and it's a '63 Splitwindow. I said, "Wow! Where did you get that?". He said he bought it brand new. He wanted a '63 409, 4 speed Impala but the dealer didn't have one. The salesman talked him into the Vette. Pristine condition with 125K miles. He drives it to the store once a week.

21. Barn-core

Barn-core

Nice car, great score. As others have said, i'd just get it running , and enjoy it as is. My Grandpa still has his '63 Chevy truck he bought brand new, loaded w/ every option, big window, factory tach. When he bought it the dealership wouldn't sell a truck with anything bigger than a 283, so he had that pulled and put a built 301 in it, and had it painted candy apple red. Since then it's been repainted a dark metallic green, smoothed tailgate, and had a crate 350 installed. Always garage kept, never wrecked, and was Grandpa's daily until he quit driving about a year ago. I remember sitting on his lap and steering when I was little. I'd hate to lose my Grandpa, but I wouldn't mind having his truck. For now it rests peacefully in his garage.

22. no55mad

no55mad

When will it be at the Pismo Derelicts?

23. ha! soon i would guess, i had my 51 chevy there 2 weeks ago! thats the first place ill take it when its clean and running well.

24. Beautiful, don't let this one go.

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I inherited my dad's 55 Cameo. Unfortunately, it was totalled a few years later. :(:(:( However, it is slowly being rebuilt. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

26. nice! its good to hear everyones stories about keeping family vehicles 'in the family', old cars make great heirlooms

27. Hate that you lost your grandfather but at least you have something tangible of his to remember him by. Love your plans for the '62!!! You truly have a treasure there and it looks really good (although it needs some work you said)!!

28. Philbilly

Philbilly

I 2nd that.

29. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

That would make a sweet cruiser. I would do a kind of resto mod with it. Restore it back to showroom condition then lower the front just a tad, put on some Torq Thrust, a tack on the steering column and some SW gauges under the dash and cruise it.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]