Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I have freaking had it! A rant about people not following through

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would just settle for the agreed product at the agreed price.

2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a time, long ago, when the initial paper work had a section that said, ( promised and a section that said delivered ). A rare sight these days when it comes to getting value for your money, in regards to anything automotive related !
    repair order form.JPG

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I once had a well known upholstery guy do a seat for me. He did the seat bolsters in 1/8" hardboard. The driver's side cracked and broke within a couple of days to expose the material used.

I called him and explained the situation thinking maybe it was some sort of an accident and that he would jump on the fix.

"1/8" hardboard is what I use. If you aren't happy with it, use someone else."

I was pissed... and for the first and only time in my life, I played the whole "Do you know who I am" card. I replied with:

"Am I the guy you want to do this to? Think about it for a bit and get back to me. I'll start looking for another upholstery guy tomorrow."

He took the car back the next day, played dumb on the 1/8" hardboard, fixed it... and is probably realizing right now that I will never, ever use him again.

I'm totally cool with mistakes. I make them everyday.

I'm cool with overlooking details. That happens when folks get busy.

But I am not cool with someone that hides behind their reputation rather than standing behind their work. Nothing pisses me off more than that kind of entitlement...

My take on all of this? Find a good paint and body guy. Find a good upholsterer. Never let them go and never be shy about PAYING them what they are worth.

Baumi, Hnstray, ffr1222k and 26 others like this.
  4. .....and the truth is I bought a machine to do my now because the upholsterer both @arkiehotrods and I had been using was slllllllooooooowww AND I had to teach her how to do the interiors she had done for me in the past....how to do tuck and roll, how to do a front to back headliner, etc. When the time came for my next upholstery job, I figured I had to teach her everything I wanted anyhow, the big thing I didn't know was how to run the stuff through the machine. I'm not awesome, but I'm passable.

x3 (or 4 or 5...what are we on? lol) for Aaron. He has done some stuff for me and it looks fantastic. You've seen the interior in Jeff Myers' '57 Ford....enough said. If he's backed up, @stanlow69 is further down the road....and backed up, too. :)

Thor1, stanlow69, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  5. ...........I have a very dear friend who always pays these guys in cash and if they bring the jobs in on time (or earlier) and the quality is there, he gives them more than they asked for. Not necessarily something I could afford to do, but he doesn't ever have trouble getting the work scheduled and done in timely fashion.

Hnstray, Thor1, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

IF you can afford it, it's the right thing to do... Your buddy is smart... and that's probably why he can afford to do it.

Thor1, Squablow, 31hotrodguy and 7 others like this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Where do the upholsterers get their training? Seems to me that there aren't that many older upholsterers to train new guys. Mostly they just like cars and figure it out themselves as they go. It is not a trade school sort of thing. It is not a craft requiered on newer cars. Time to learn how to do it yourself.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy, trollst and Roothawg like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think there is market for upholstery guys that are conscientious, respectful, timely and honorable.

I told my nephew, who is getting ready to graduate HS that this would be a skill that would keep him employed for a long time. He could be self employed and not in debt to the state for $60K in student loans.

As far as good upholstery shops, so far 2-3 names have come up. That right there should say something. Either way, I will have to travel a minimum of 3 hours. I am a realist. By the time I hone a skill that I would be happy with I'll be 80. I will probably just pony up and pay the man.....

Thor1, dsiddons, 31hotrodguy and 6 others like this.
  9. Hmm...good point. Maybe I need to try to talk Silas into considering this. He has a real eye for the right look when it comes to traditional interiors. Now, I just need to get him in interested in learning how to do it.

Edit: Line thrown out and he is considering the bait. This would also help me since that is one thing I don’t know how to do other than just installing kit-type carpets, seat covers, etc. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Thor1, drdave, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I talked with Aaron and he is booked through next October. That says a lot about his quality of work.

Jeff, I am looking into the Lucky Needle videos, just for my own curiosity.

Thor1, 31hotrodguy and arkiehotrods like this.
  11. birdman1

birdman1

I do all my cars myself. Cheap, done good enough for me, and the heck if someone calls it junk. I got my fill of show cars and the elusive perfect car many years ago. Remember, this is FUN !!!!

12. Cool. I am thinking a trip to go see Aaron fairly soon is in our future. Silas is thinking this could make a lot of sense toward what he wants to do for a living. :D Maybe Aaron can show him just enough to do his own seat in his truck to where we don't need to be at the end of that line in October.

Thor1, catdad49 and arkiehotrods like this.
  13. I would guess it's the opposite. Most people won't pay a reasonable rate for the amount of labour involved so you get a race to the bottom. If lots were willing to pay for quality work there would be lots of quality choices. Upholstery seems to be the thing that no one budgets for and then are shocked by the price so need to get it done for least amount possible.

Hnstray, Thor1, grumpy65 and 4 others like this.
  14. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought this last week. I did everything else on the car, not gonna farm out the last step.
    Consew.JPG

15. Do it yourself.

31hotrodguy, Roothawg and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Funny you mention drywallers... tried to get 3 different guys out to work on my house, all of them flaked. Finally just bought a gallon of mud and slapped in on their like a bad bodyman. New owners didn't seem to notice.

Thor1, vtx1800, williebill and 2 others like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny but typical. 2 weeks ago brought a 60’s go kart seat and back to a local upholstery shop (non-auto) that had done prior work. Left with a lady, boss would get back. 3 days no call, stopped by on way to Home Depot, boss back in 2 minutes. Stopped by on way home, walked into office and picked up seat saying “I guess you don’t want the job” Took the seat to the Auto Upholstery guys who did my seats for my 56. They were not too busy will be done in 2 days. Called in 2 days... “come by and pick up”. Perfect even installed snaps which I didn’t ask for. Sometimes it’s better to stick with guys you know. 0AAA6377-C9F5-4A4F-B098-6FE485F0BC24.jpeg

18. 35MPLF

35MPLF
    from Edmonton

Nice job for sounding like you’ve never done it before. I’m hoping for the same outcome. I’ve got a close friend who has a spare machine to lend me, and then with fingers crossed, I’ll give it a try. Like a welder once told me, “ worst thing that can happen is you have to cut it out and redo it”, ever since that comment I haven’t been scared to do anything!

Thor1, bchctybob, dsiddons and 3 others like this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That go cart looks like it has Pontiac 8 lug wheels lol...

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I did the same thing as Bones. I got quotes and time frames I couldn't deal with, so I bought a old Singer also for $250 off Craigslist. It was very old, but had just been refurbished, and runs excellent. I planned to go old school 60's so I looked for upholstery pre sewn in rolled and pleat, or diamond pattern. None of the roll and pleat had enough height to it, so I bought the black vinyl in diamond pattern. Buying it pre sewn pattern saved me a lot of time, and made for perfect shapes, vs. what I might have done on a first try.
    I really enjoyed sewing up my interior, and even purchasing the machine, all the panel materials, fasteners, tools, and supplies, I was still well under $700. And that included buying a pre sewn headliner kit for $185.

Cosmo49, Thor1, 35MPLF and 1 other person like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

All I know, is the guys that meet the criteria that I mentioned are making a decent living doing it.

I guess your standard of living may play into it as well. I am a big supporter of living debt free, so I may be jaded.

Baumi, Thor1, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  22. whateverit takes

whateverit takes
    from Florida

I am new to my area so I started doing research into the interior job for my avatar. I haven't attended any shows due to Covid so no help there. I did get a recomendation from a nice guy I met through another friend. The shop did a nice job on his 50 Chevy truck bench seat. I took my truck to the shop and went over a few things and the owner showed me a 34 Ford he was doing. He told me there are 9 or so jobs ahead of me but would give me an estimate the next day. 3 weeks later I called to find out the estimated price. He came in on the high side of my comfort zone. I know its just an estimate but it was a sign that my business was not a priority. A couple of days ago, I drove 3 hours and bought a used machine. I learned how to sew when I was younger. I'll figure it out.

Cosmo49, Thor1, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a little newer version [flex frame] of that Kart that needs a seat, that looks really great

Roothawg and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. chriseakin

chriseakin

Jonathon W on youtube has done upholstery for a couple of his cars, they looked pretty good, though not tuck and roll, but it does show you can do it yourself if you really want to ( or just can't afford to pay a pro).

craig b blue and Roothawg like this.
  25. I feel your pain. I got the run around from a few. I though I found one 30 miles away. I drove over there only to watch him sew or try to sew through a metal support rod in the seat cushion. He broke the needle in his machine and couldn't figure out how to get it out. He looked at me and said I guess we are done. I asked if I could try to replace the needle, he said sure and then left to get a pack of smokes and a Mountain Dew down a the corner gas station. when he finally made it back the needle was replaced and waiting on him.

I bought a Mini Brute Long Arm Sewing machine and decided I would give it a try. I've only done one job so far. I chopped the top on a roadster pickup and we wanted to use the old top that was replaced in the 1960's. We cut it down and put a glass rear window in too. It took 2 of us to do it. One guided the top material through the sewing machine and the other ran the pedal and turned the handle by hand sometimes. Perfect NO, but it does look nice.

010.jpg 011.jpg 027.jpg 029.jpg

26. trollst

trollst

I know this is primarily about trim, but I've counseled all my customers as to the danger of money up front. ANYBODY who requires you to pay in advance should be walked away from, it indicates the quality of their work and shows you their lifestyle. A reputable guy will do the work and hold your goods if you don't pay, paying up front guarantees you will not get your shit done on a timeline.....why? He's already been paid. Remember that.

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That go cart looks like a ton of fun! :)

Bones

28. I went to a guy local to me for my 56 f100 seat, already removed from the truck. He had so many cars in his shop, think 30-35, in all levels of being done, his price was great but I just couldn't leave it there seeing all that. A friend confirmed it will take months with him. I went to another guy, double the price but got a better job with more detail, and in two weeks.....

29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that this issue is only a problem with old cars. It appears that it has become a way of life. I have been trying to get people to come out, measure, and give me a bid for four overhead style rolling garage doors.

Three different companies have missed the dates without so much as a phone call. It makes me wonder how much cooperation I would get if I should have a problem after installation.

It is not like it used to be.

30. 34Larry

34Larry

Ahhhhh...........should I repeat my Torqueflite saga?

Oh BTW, I still do not have it back. It is finished and
    I want it mated to the engine, but he says he is a man
    short and is having trouble getting to it. I know, I know,
    I should do it my self.
    Its not just this hobby that has no service anymore it runs
    rampant through out the retail world. Been to Home Depot
    lately? You want customer service? ACE IS THE PLACE!!!!!