Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have a "CLEAR" question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Oct 23, 2009.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

I will be spraying my 60 chevy wagon soon with micro metal flake mixed into the clear. Is a high build or thicker clear better to use than the regular clear coat? Is the thick clear still better to use over all? Can you thin it out and make more economical?

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I would spray the metal flake in the first coat of clear pretty thin in effort to dust the metal flake on so it will lay down. Go thick on the next couple coats, then thin to glass it off. This all to be done within flash of each coat. That's what I'd do anyway.

3. skullhat

skullhat

i'd use intercoat clear susch as dbc500 for the flake, pat each pass to keep the flake down

you can put the flake in regular clear, but it will make too much build up.

once covered, few coats of urethane clear, color sand , and reclear

skull

4. The Blurr

The Blurr

Can you use the same thick "high build clear" for the thick and the thin coats? I trying to be cheapskate. Or should I buy the mid coat clear and a high build clear?

5. skullhat

skullhat

using one clear for the whole job is not the cheap way out. intercoat clear is cheaper than the good high build clears.

either way, as said before, you are best off spraying the flake in the intercoat clear , then coating in the thick stuff. other wise you will be there forever waiting for each coat to dry, and building up uneccesary film build.

skull

6. chaotic

chaotic

Skull is right a good intercoat clear or a fast speed clear workes good. You can go to the paint store and get clear binder. It is used in mixing paints. You mix it 1:1 with reducer put the micro in and spray like a base coat. This gives you control, let it flash then clear with your high build. You need to spray a test panel some paint companys when reweted with the clear will let the micro flake float.

Good luck and have fun with it.