Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I have a chance to buy a 32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigbangtheory, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I have a chance to buy this 32 5 window and was wondering what all the experts on here thought it would be worth. It was painted with laquer paint in the 70's and is cracked and all but really cool. The body itself is in awesome shape, comes with a very nice original firewall, grill shell and insert with awesome patina, windows, garnish moldings and a good clear title. Thanks.
    received_1303043526388039.jpeg received_1303043519721373.jpeg

2. A Boner

A Boner

3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

More than I can afford..

4. Just the body . . . or frame and anything else? It looks like a really nice body - probably worth North of $20 Large.

5. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

It doesn't matter....just BUY IT!!!! And in 5-10 years it'll be worth more...guaranteed. But to answer your question, I would say $25-28000

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Looks nice... Price is kinda depending on where, and alot of other stuff...
    Let's make it simple... What can you get it for and can you afford it?

7. I see that it has no floorpan in it . . . costs quite a bit to put a 'stock style' one back in it . . . but that is what I'd do. If it doesn't have a bunch of sketchy body work and bad patch panels, I still believe in my prior number (and 'North' of it!) . . . as hard as it is for me to say that!

8. brady1929

brady1929

If I had the money, I would buy that in a heartbeat!

Deucedreamer likes this.
  9. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

If I were you I would keep the location or add of this body quiet cause it looks primo to me...a lot of guys on here would be banging down his door to buy it.

10. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Me too

11. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

No floor pans, no frame, no patch panels anywhere, the cowl has been filled but that would be fixed if I get the car.

12. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

So what's stopping you from pullin the trigger? Why isn't this thread about the new 5 window you just moved into your garage??

fnjunk likes this.
  13. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

It's not listed for sale.

14. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

15. Bader2

Bader2

Chance of a lifetime! Time to remortgage the house!

16. Pull the trigger baby . . . you'll have no 'Buyers Remorse' . . . as long as you can afford the REST of the car! Obviously the person who owns this, knows what he/she is doing . . . can tell by the work going into putting the stock insert metal back in . . .

17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Only worth $5,000 !!!!

""""""NOT """""""

a Repo Steel start at $24 ,000 or so ,
    Real Henrry with Title , Most would Pay $20,000-$28,000.
    Probably a better investment than gold !!!
    You could always put A electric motor in it ,,

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  18. If it has a "good clear title" and no frame what number is on the title? Maybe a state assigned number on the door jam? Remember there was also a number added by the DMV to the frame. At least that is the way they do it in California.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. uncle buck

uncle buck

Can you explain what you are talking about? What exactly are you saying? Did try take the factory vin and lengthen it wit a dash (-) between the numbers?

20. When the engine/transmission assembly passed final inspection at Ford a number was assigned. For the 4 cylinder engine the first number was *AB-5000001* and for the first V8 the number was *18-1*. The “AB” became just “B” at about 62000 cars. The prefix denoted the engine type and the number was the serial number. When the engine/transmission was installed into the vehicle the number was stamped into the top of the left frame rail near the steering box (and two more places where they would be under the body). This number went onto the title to identify the vehicle. Without it there is no way to tie the title to the vehicle (or in this case just the body). It could be a title that someone bought on EBAY. There could already be a vehicle registered to the number on the title. If for some reason the frame number could not be used in California the DMV will assign a number. This number will be on a tag the DMV attaches to the door jam and another one onto the frame. I am not sure what they do in your state but you might want to check with your local DMV. Plan ahead about how you are going to handle the paperwork before you put out any money.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "Did try take the factory vin and lengthen it wit a dash (-) between the numbers?"

Charlie Stephens

H380 and LOU WELLS like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What have people been doing for years about papers on all the old heaps they drug out of ravines and the like.

22. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Certain discussions about thing's like this bring's attention to our Hobby ,
    There are out side EYE's!!
    Not all state's are like Ca,

Hollywood-East likes this.
  23. As some are saying, I'm not aware that the VIN is on the body - only the frame counts from what I know. There can be body tags on the body, but not the VIN. So - who knows what actual VIN/Title belongs with the body . . . as it is the frame that counts in most states.

24. If you are referring to what I said let me expand. You are right that Ford did not put any numbers on the body that were intended to identify the vehicle. The number beginning in 1932 used to identify the vehicle was the frame number. The number assigned by DMV that I was referring to was very common on the Model A where there was not a visible frame number and the engine number was used for identification of the vehicle. California stopped (I am not sure when) using engine numbers since it was common to change engines. California began assigning numbers that were attached to the door jam (with a second tag on the frame) of the body on any vehicle that was identified by the engine number (such as a Model A). I can only assume on a '32 that an identification number would have been installed on a door jam by the State DMV if the original number on the frame was missing. This would be very rare. Maybe a frame rail was replaced due to an accident? Maybe the car was a newly constructed vehicle using a reproduction frame? Only in these rare cases I would expect to see an identification number on the body. I was fishing to see why the person said he had a good title but no way that I could see to tie it to the vehicle since the frame was missing. Of course all of my comments only reflect how it was (and I assume still is) done in California and each state is different, that is why I suggested contacting the local DMV. I should also add that my comments are based on observation and I have no association with the DMV or detailed knowledge of the official policies and procedures. Official information should not come from HAMB posts but rather the DMV.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. Hey Charlie - I'm with you . . . grew up in California and spent my first 40 or so years there. I always went to AAA for my title work - as the DMV was quite difficult to deal with. As noted, I can't see how a title goes with a body and even though I live in Ohio, have no clue as to how our BMV would handle this situation. I guess if the title came back clean and it was in the current owner's name, might be easy . . . but it also might be a mess. When I registered a 32 from Florida - the BMV just wanted to see a number on the frame that matched . . .

As you noted, just worth checking out in the front end.

26. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I live in Ohio and it has a Ohio title so I am good to go. Think I am going to see if I can buy the car today. You guys have talked me into it. Thank you!!!

56don likes this.
  27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

"Patiently waiting!":rolleyes: for good news on the purchase.
    More pictures are expected as well.
    Just sayin'
    Al
    PS Good luck and quick, clean purchase. BTW, can store it in my storage area in VA if you want.;)
    I'm sure others that are closer will offer to "store" it as well.:rolleyes:

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

buy it, and figure out the rest later. if nothing else would make great yard art - Ha!

30. Once in a lifetime.. do it!