Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have a 39 zephyr coupe sedan(only 800 produced)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rpent, Mar 16, 2018.

1. What he said...

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ahhh....Sorry, 'Bean'...but those are 'Peddle Pushers', worn in the '50s, name inspired by gals on bicycles. 'Capris' were also from that era, only 'Capris' went down to the ankles. Some dipshit in-between called the wrong ones 'Capris'...Gospel. My Mom told me.
    Wow...All you guys knew this? Huh! Cool...

3. Ok this is one of those really cool projects !!!!

If your car has the original floor cut out- chances are it was rotted.
    And finding an original chassis won't do you much good unless you want to install the original floor to the original rockers and all of it back to original. At that point of wanting all original you'd be better off starting with a different zephyr. Oops only 800 of those.. & not to mention you'll be cutting and re configuring the original stuff to get the stance you want.

Next plan would be to sort of duplicate the original and make what you want in the process.
    image.jpeg
    Running some rails and crossmembers with floor pans that look right and fit correctly and function as they should would not be that difficult to pull off. It would not look exactly like the factory stuff, don't kid yourself but it can look like it belongs there. With just some very basic dimensions box tubes can be smooth bent to those contours. Those crossmembers can be duplicated in the spirit of those shapes as well. That's easy and your desired stance can be built in to the structure as well as any suspension upgrades and choices.

The floor pan appears to be relatively flat with some cool beads, easy enough to duplicate those too. The technical part would be the the rockers and how they tie into the body and the floor. That can't be fudged too much and that will control the alignment of the body.

I'd love to be a part of a project like that,
    Ship it up to Ohio and we will get busy on it for you.

Hnstray, DIYGUY and anthony myrick like this.
  4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Atwater --

Your (you're) kinda (kind of) rite (right).
    Peddle (really pedal) pushers were named for bicycle riders – pushing pedals.
    If I remember correctly, they were for girls. Boys called them clam diggers – 'bout the same thing.

Is the car in Post #16 a Coupe – or a Coupe Sedan?

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like fun.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. danray

danray

I have a 47 Lincoln sedan. after we took the body off we scraped the frame except for the side rails. then we built cross braces using square tubing. added a mustang 11 front end with rack and pinion steering and added air bags. at the rear we took a rear end out of a 96 mark eight, added air bags and build a cantilever system for the air bags. then we built new body mounts. seems to work well. still a work in process.

7. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

"anthony myrick, post: 12490576, member: 91463 "a unibody by definition
    it may look different than today's unibodys but this is one."

You say "tomahto", I say "tomayto". Howsomeever, I continue to believe that a "unibody" is another animal entirely. Just because the (traditional) body is riveted/welded to the (traditional) chassis, that does not a unibody make. As further proof, I would cite the French Citroen TA ("Traction Avant" = "Front Wheel Drive") of the same period which was a true unibody: no chassis, just a monocoque sheet metal structure with the famous "hambones" (HAMBones? - Sorry, couldn't resist.) which located the front suspension/drivetrain. Regardless, it's simply a matter of semantics and not to continue this pissing contest, I would like to thank Anthony for the reference to Boos & Company which will be invaluable for Zephyr/Continental parts sourcing.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

This member had two 38 4 doors he was parting out.

If you can get a rolling shell reasonable and the floors aren't rotted, you could do as 31Vicky mentioned; cut the 4 dr shell away at the rockers and drop your 2 dr. shell on the floor/frame assembly, then be on your way to installing the front and rear suspension of your choice.
    It's a lot of labor, but pretty straight forward work. Cheaper than a Morrison/custom built frame, if his price is re

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1938-lincoln-zephyr-sedan-part-outs-no-dash.1097884/

[​IMG]

9. Persever2kdog

Persever2kdog

Your build caught my attention a year ago and I became interested in Coupe Sedans. I resently scooped one up that reminded me of that 37 zephyr coupe that was in Bakersfield in that Barn that was falling down that was first posted on Craigslist and scooped up, the blue one covered in perseveration dust.. The Coupe Sedan I found was on EBay out of Michigan being sold by a Used Dealer. The story was his Grandfather & Grandmother had owned it and was in storage since the 60*s.. Not sure if his story is true or not, but he made a hell of a story behind it, so my father and I bought it, site unseen. It’s Home now and plan on restoring it & leaving it alone greasing it up and polishing the old used Crome. Maybe putting air ride in the back and that’s it.. Beautiful example of a 1937 Coupe Sedan, Second paint job on it, Stored since . My question is did the production of these increases from 36 to 41 or decrease. Also what is the exact number of production of each year of these Deferent Beautiful Lincoln*s ? Thanks, Look forward to to seeing our build as the years go by, and thank you for drawing my attention to such a rare unspoken for few made cars of it’s time. Greatful to be Able to Repent, and Hopefully Persevere, AKA-Grant,Granny,Maxlittle & and last but not least G.T.

Attached Files:

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That catalog has an exploded view of frame pieces that gives a good idea of how it was done...wrong year but I think a valid source.
    I'm pretty sure I have a prewar body-shop book of frame dimensions for frame straightening if noe one here posts one.

11. Cool body style.

12. Persever2kdog

Persever2kdog

Thank’s, 39 is the best year . Lot more going on!

rpent likes this.
  13. Persever2kdog

Persever2kdog

By chance, U know the number of cars produced in 36 37 38 39 40 41. Coupe Sedans ?

14. Agreed, that sounds just like me....

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

17. Persever2kdog

Persever2kdog

That’s to funny, Luv Art Labo... A man with True Class . Thank you for a nice memory of listening to him, While out on the road. (Stat*s appreciated)

18. That's what Ford called the two door sedans in Australia in 39 and 40. Commonly known as a sloper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rpent

rpent

I think Boos Herril has that info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Check out what Skoty's custom on here is building out of his 4dr. He may have parts or info to help?

21. 10BEC015-A7D6-45AF-9911-AE8D4BE65B1C.png

Will this work
    It’s cheap enough

22. madfish

madfish

23. This one just came up if anyone needs some parts

22A647FF-BEEB-4DAA-B44C-677964EEA0ED.png

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. desotot

desotot

I think there is a parts car in Langley B.C. Don't know if its for sale but I can get you a phone# if that's not to far .

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

A Lincoln what?

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

Here's a builder for sale, now. Years ago I stumbled onto a Lincoln Zephyr build where the body was grafted onto a Mark VII unibody platform. Very OT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-4-4_15-57-34.png

[​IMG]

Some inspiration
    [​IMG]
    ‘Mr. Merv’ (Merv ADKINS) in CA specializes in early Lincoln Zephyr parts and supplies, he’s referred to as the “King of Lincolns.” https://www.lzoc.org/
    Steve FRISBIE (SAR) widened the body over a custom frame and also lengthened the body by 40", truly amazing metal work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigO, JUNK ROD and The37Kid like this.