Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hauled home a real WWII Airplane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Tank

Tank

dude, you have the coolest mix of manly things that are awesome in your yard. I love it. Subscribing!

2. That Ercoupe looks rebuild-able.

3. I don't know whether I am jealous or glad I don't have to deal with it. But I do like your taste in toys.

4. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I live in a pretty rough neighborhood. Most people around here call me Gran Torino after the Clint Eastwood movie. Most of them are to afraid to say anything to me, so they leave me alone.

5. Yuck

Attached Files:

6. I was sort of thinking thats what it was but didn't they have a two tail rudder?

7. Workdragon

Workdragon

WOW! Do you live by one of those airplane graveyards

8. Ha ha- I didn't even notice!

9. Hell, you can get a rivet gun at Harbor Freight.

10. Just do what everybody else does....350...good to go.

11. Looks like it would be better than this one. I saw it at Alstons chassis shop a while back.
    It's a Leer-jet.
    [​IMG]

12. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

You win for the best yard stuff .Keep an eye on it so the scrapper thieves dont come during the night..Your idea is no different from when this stuff was made into roadside attractions.Go for it.Aircraft and hot rods,just like peas and carrots

13. Someone has a new man cave and it rocks!!!

14. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

How is that for a manly yard piece?[​IMG]

15. Energy

Energy

oh man! Put the allison in that locomotive, use it as the tow vehicle for the C60 travel trailer! :eek: But, you'd probably still get the occassional....

"yeah, I used to have one just like that except mine was........"

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  16. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Picture on your avatar,,,, Did i see that on a trailer at Pate last year????

17. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

What the hell is that? :confused:

18. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Remove the wing mounts from this
    [​IMG]
    and it reminds me of another old racecar I have seen here on the HAMB.

19. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Yes the P40 front end was at Pate last year. I sold it and it is now in Monroe, La.

20. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Bringing some more stuff up this year?

21. How much do you think it will weigh when completed? Similar to a Greyhound bus?

22. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I probably won't be at Pate this year. But I will be set up out at the Lone Star Roundup in April wit hall of my nose art pieces and crazy aviation stuff.

23. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

The fuselage weighs a bit under 3000lbs as it is right now. The design of the aircraft fuselage makes them incredibly strong and rigid, so it won't require much of a steel frame internally to mount the drive train to. I'm thinking a round tube frame ladder type frame might work. When completed it would probably weigh around 7000lbs or so. I don't see the need for insanely heavy axles and suspension because this thing won't be that heavy.

24. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Man, this is the most interesting build to ever grace this forum that I've personally seen.

Props to you man, really big props to you! Not exactly HAMB friendly; but I'd use a turbo diesel out of a newer 1 ton for power. At least it'll have gobs of torque, be very reliable and wont break the bank in terms of fueling costs.

25. I vaguely remember watching TV back when build programs were cool. There was a fellow that put an airplane fuselage on a bus chassis.

26. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Cool, i missed out on a P-40 body about a year ago. The owner was clearing his rental out and gave it away. It was later sold to a collector I understand. I thought it would be a great rod.

27. I remember a build where they dropped a sikorsky helicopter body on an old school bus chassis. Had a spa tub an all. They then drove it in some parade.

28. Might have been it, If you ever heard the guys voice you would remember him.

29. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is so cool. Am going to love to watch the build. Subscribed.

30. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Holy Moly! Subscribed!