Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hauled home a real WWII Airplane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Jan 20, 2012.

1. dudley32

dudley32

absolutely love this thread...old CH-47 mechanic...

2. Captain Jack III

Captain Jack III

This is awesome! I love it and do remember you. We will figure something out at some point. I have molds made from an original P-40 and P-51 while they wore their wartime skin. So can make more skins. The replica i built is metal, but the fiberglass ones look better as all the rivet detail is there. My replica may be going to the Buzz Wagner memorial. He was an unknown American hero who became an ace in the Philippines before the Flying Tigers ever saw combat. He died in a 1943 P-40 crash and that is why so few know about him today.
    Once I get the new business up and running and am feeding my family well again, we will work something out to get you the skins you want.

3. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

Hey how about a caddy/olds front wheel drive set up in the rear? Just thinking out loud....

4. Captain Jack III

Captain Jack III

THe Lodestar is a great airplane and the bomber version was called the Hudson. Australian Hudson crews fought a valiant fight against the Japanese early in the war. A few years back, a group of Australians got together to lobby the govt to award the crew of a Hudson Australia's highest award. The crew fought 3 Mitsubishi Zeros alone and the pilot rolled and turned the Hudson with the Zeros in a courageous dogfight. They shot down one before they went down in flames. But never got their recognition. Some Lodestars were modified with two speed supercharged engines and airframe mods. They were called Howard 250's and had top speed of over 300 mph

5. Captain Jack III

Captain Jack III

Jason, it may sound nutz, but I really want to build a full size P-82B Twin Mustang replica using my P-51 molds. It wouldnt be completely accurate as the P-82 used P-51H fuselages, but would be very cool, especially with two V-12 tank engines turning full size wooden props. Not sure where I would put it...

6. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I spent all day drilling out rivets in the nose skins in order to begin making the B25 style nose. I'll spend a few hours working on it again tomorrow and it should make a huge difference. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
    Jason Barnett

7. b-bop

b-bop

Yeah, I know, pics are way off topic, but shows that planes on wheels are cool.

Attached Files:

8. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

That is a pretty big plane they used.

9. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I went the throw the nose cone that I cut off of the Lodestar today because it was a mangled up piece of junk. I threw it into the pile and saw something out of the ordinary looking at me. I screwed on two red airplane beacon lights and cut some teeth into the already jagged metal on the bottom. I didn't modify anything else in any way![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. historynw

historynw

Looks hungry. I'm late to the party but you got a fantastic project.

11. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Something that BIG needs twin rear axle, imho.

Scotty

12. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Today I was able to remove the top skin in one piece off of the nose. I had to drill out tons of rivets to do it. The three ribs that are visible now will all have to be slid forward several inches. The front rib should be even with the front edge and it should lean forward at about 20 degrees. Obviously there is a major amount of work to do just in the nose area, but it is a major step forward. I will be able to use the top skin to patch some of the holes on the nose belly. The nose section is about 5.5ft from floor to ceiling. It is a lot bigger than it looks. I made a crummy temporary patch over what used to be the cargo door. That will eventually be removed with a proper patch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Any of you know who I could actually speak to about bringing this Lodestar to the Lone Star Round Up. I hope to be set up out there selling my artwork and I think this would make a fantastic back drop. Obviously I would have to have an outdoor spaces due to the huge scale, but I think most everyone would get a kick out of the chance to sit in the cockpit.

14. Markgyver

Markgyver

I was bored today so I sketched this up in cad with some dimensions.

Attached Files:

15. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

That is pretty neat! A 25ft wheel base. It isn't going to turn on a dime, but I don't imagine many big motor homes will.

16. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I spoke to a representative today from the Roundup. The folks at the Roundup are searching for a spot big enough to set up this Lodestar fuselage. They are on board with the idea! So, unless something goes wrong between now and then, look for the giant airplane at the LSRU. --- and my nose art booth.
    Jason

17. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

It's a helluva long way for me to be there but I'm looking forward to pictures. This is the most amazing thing i've ever seen on the HAMB ... which is the best forum ever.

Hoping to make it to the states (full time) in the next 5 years. I'll look you up then and come see this thing fulll size.

(that's number 3 on the list, after the '67 impala for the wife and the '69 charger for me ... what can I say, we're suckers for cool v8 metal)

18. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Thanks for the positive response Hermit. -And here I was worried about if this thread would be welcomed on The HAMB when I first posted about the plane.

19. that sir is the bomb

20. magneto57

magneto57

SweeeeeeeeeeeT...............!!

21. b-bop

b-bop

Wow, just took the time to check out
    your website. What an awesome job you have.....and talent to burn :)

22. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

23. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Don't you mean hit with a bomb?

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

LMAO here, Bomb = cool, cats meow, bitch'n, sweet, killer, wild, boss, ect ect.

25. patman

patman

No, that is the bombER. Quite possibly the bombEST.

26. It looks like I'm a little late to put in my suggestion; but here goes: I'd put the fuselage on a bus chassis, with a diesel pusher. That'd keep the noise way back there, where it belongs.
    The flight deck on those old crates were noisey enough, with the engines and props out on the wings. My right (co-pilots) ear is still ringing for, years ago, sitting one too many hours in the right seat of an R4D-6 (Navy equivalent of a DC-3, with Wright R-2000's).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  27. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

yup, i second that

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

+1 for me lol (my suggestion was for the name Hutton Hornet) :) very honored to have helped find a suitable name for this beautiful war bird. I cant wait to see the nose art.. its going to be awesome!

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

29. GM Mad NZ

GM Mad NZ

This is epic, my wife would leave if I pulled into our yard with that beast. Where can I get one!

30. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

If it is indeed Betty Hutton, maybe put her in a pose similar to these but using hornet colors and adding wings and a stinger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com