Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate when its the obvious!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glmke, Jun 29, 2010.

1. glmke

glmke

Been working on my 50 ford for a couple days now. It was running like crap,replaced the fuel pump ,checked all the lines, still nothing. I was about to pull the carb and clean and rebuild when I thought maybe the fuel filter was bad. I just put a new one on about 2 months ago so i kept ruling that out. Well i spent the $5 bucks for a new one and whoa-la the 50 runs like a champ. Thanks to all of you who helped with the suggestions over the last couple of days. like I always tell my kids "LIVE AND LEARN" and like my co-worker says "THERE ARE THOSE WHO HAVE AND THOSE WHO WILL"

Thanks Hamb community

GLMKE

2. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

Gas these days is such garbage.It is tough to let anything sit for even a short time with out storage treatment

3. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Its great when the job turns out to be a easy and cheap !.

Regarding "Thanks to all of you who helped with the suggestions over the last couple of days. like I always tell my kids "LIVE AND LEARN" "

A long time ago a wise man said to me; pay attention now boy, keep your mouth shut, keep your eyes and ears open and lessons can be learned.
    Keep talking, don't pay attention and your lessons will be earned. Avoid earning a lesson as the price is generally dear.
    Did I listen ? well...sometimes..but nowhere near enough.

Dale K
    Cleveland OH

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Leason here is don't ASSUME anything!

5. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Just because a part is relatively new/is new, don't exclude it from step-by-step diagnosis. When I worked full time as a mechanic, I used to be given the stuff the others guys couldn't figure out. Not that I'm any smarter than your average bear, I just stick to first principles and test my way through a problem and don't rule stuff out UNLESS you have just tested it.

We've all heard the likes of:

"can't be (insert part name here), 'cause it's new......"

The moral of the story is don't trust anything you haven't tested, this is even more true in the age of cheap imported crappy spare parts made with liottle or no quality control.

6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

New parts, you mean BS parts. Just put a new engine in my truck 8000 miles ago. Replaced everything I could because it is my work truck. Last week it started running terrible. Long story short...brand new distributor cap had already gone bad. One of those that is designed to have the plug wires coming out the side instead of the top. Cap had shorted between two leads imbedded in the plastic.

Moral is just like Smiffy6four said, in this day and age new does not mean it will last. Do your basic checks on everything, even a part that has only been on the engine a short time.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's my take on "new" parts: "Whatever 'man' makes is subject to failure."

R-

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Better buy a couple of those filters and keep 'em in the glovebox for the next time your car stops. I had to to do that with the Track Car for a good year until we dismantled it again and cleaned the tank of it's accumulated grit and sludge. Got where I could do it less than 5 minutes...and it is under the car.

9. Super04duty

Super04duty

I got my '47 Dodge running like a top. All original 80k mile flathead, original cap and rotor even...... it doesnt run now... one of my 'new' parts went out... either the condenser or the coil went out... both of those have zero miles, and just about 20min of run time. How a 40+ year old cap and rotor and everything can work, and those cant, I dont know.

Ugh, been too hot to go outside, I need to get it running again though.