Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate to do it but WIW???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfnutcase, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I hate to ask you guys but what is it worth? I really like the lines on this car, there is no title, floors have some rust, but the rest of the car is super straight and solid, I would be buying it for a future custom project so I would be scraping the engine and trans, they are locked up, the chrome is all rough, stainless is pretty good, 100% complete, I have no clue on the value of it, I just really like the car, I know what some are going to say, if you like it buy it, well if I can buy one cheaper somewhere else like it then I don't want this one....so what is it worth? Jim

Attached Files:

2. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

And what year is it?

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

$500, would make a nice mild custom..........................

4. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

It looks like a 1951 Buick Special to me. I would say around $1500 or less.

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

750---srrap for 400

6. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK from 500 to 1500, he is hitting me at 1500, I offered 700, I thought I was fair at 700, I was thinking it was like a 51 but don't know... Jim

7. 500.00 to 700.00 if it has a title in the sellers name that's about all I think its worth,,it needs everything,,all the chrome is going to be dealt with,needs floors. HRP

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Thanks HRP, I trust you, I know you know your shit, and I know you would not steer me wrong so with that I will pass on the car....but it is a cool old car, nice lines, I know I will get flamed for this but that car could build a car just as nice as a merc I think! Jim

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Those old 2 door hard top cars bring pretty good money compared to sedans. The Buicks have a real classy look as well. $700 is kind of a low ball offer, $1500 ain't far off the mark of what it's worth. See if he'll split the difference at a $1000, if so I would haul it home and be happy.
    I'm a cheap old fart.

10. I dunno.

What's Kelly Blue Book say?

11. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Does KBB go back that far or are ya pullin' my leg? I am a product of public education, so you have to give me a break, I aint too well skooled! LOL Jim

12. Personally I wouldn't touch a ride with no title. Washington is a title state and I was burned once when I was kid.

13. No way I'd go ove $700 on that one but I'd hate to see it scrapped just because I'm a cheap bastard. Maybe $1000 tops if you really like the car and it has okay floors and good glass and a title.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

great body style, but the cost to put it together!!! especially the chrome.

if it is complete and has a title, then $1000 would be fair to all parties

It is worth half that as scrap and you know you could always part it out.

good luck.

15. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

The title is the sticking point......$700 max

16. jr9162

jr9162

It's a 51 Special 2 door hardtop (riviera style) and worth $700 or more. Don't scrap the engine and trans. There's people looking for engine and tranny parts for these vehicles: especially rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, conecting rods, and standard shift cranks. If you have time to fool with it, buy it, and part it out. You'll make 2-3x what you paid for it. I might be interested in the carb and a few other pieces... John

17. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

OK Thanks guys, I just don't know the Buicks, it is a cool car though....he is just too proud of the car right now, I will let him hang onto it for a year then hit him up again LOL! Jim

18. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

800 to 1000 without title.

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

X2, no title, no sale.

20. id have to go with the others on the title =no deal

getting the chrome redone would probably be over the 3000 mark easily

but you said you want to do a custom so youd probably shave atleast some of the chrome

and beating the surface rust horse will be a job and half

IF it had a title 700 would be about my top dollar also

21. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Title is doable, but that car sure needs a lot. Way more than it looks like, many hidden things will be shot. Maybe $800 if you REALLLLY like it. That's more than scrap, and very few folks buy that era of car in that rough condition.

22. brad chevy

brad chevy

No title,$400 scrap price,engine locked up lots of floorboard rust,keep looking.

23. Just dont let the scrappers get it if you really want it. I've had to re-learn that lesson a few times.

24. Looks like the same car We offered $500 several years ago & Scrap prices were high W/O title M0. DMV is getting harder to deal with . But Parts is parts

25. I had a regular 2 door(,not hardtop) that a guy wanted just the side chrome from,,sold it to him for 600.00 and gave him the rest of the car..

26. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

It looks like it is in a junk yard. If so, maybe his records will show the previous owner and a title search, or records could be found. If it has an old registation in the glove compartment, that could help.

Titles are getting very hard to get. Title companies are charging over $1000 and they are looked on with suspition by the registerys.

27. If the owner want's 1,500 bucks he sure ain't gonna scrape it.

Let him sit on the car for a while and tell him your offer,what ever it is still stands as long as it has a title for the next week.

Let him stew a while,,if he's not planning on building the car he will probably reconsider,,BTW,,when you go back to talk to him again take cash and lay it on the hood.

Cash always makes a good impression. :D HRP

28. BTW,another problem as I see it is how hard is it to find a windshield for this Buick,,you may end up spending almost as much as the purchase price replacing it.:rolleyes: HRP

29. stratocaster

stratocaster

Check with the DMV first to find out what has to be done to title and register it. Might not be so bad. Then you'll know.

30. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I don't know about Missouri, but in Texas you can't scrap it without a title unless it's apart or cut up....