Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate to be that guy: What's it worth 58 Chevy content

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by synthsis, Apr 30, 2010.

1. synthsis

synthsis

My neighbor has owned this 58 Bel Air coupe for about 25-30 years and he's looking to sell it. I told him I would put some feelers out to see if we can find it a new home, but we have no idea of how to price it. I checked some completed auction on the auction site and they weren't really in the same condition as this one, so I'm looking for some help on pricing this car. It's been kept inside since he took it off the road, so rust is minimal. It's currently a 235/powerglide setup. Clear New Jersey Title on hand, so no issues there. If you're interested and have an offer, please PM me and we can set something up for you to look at the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mj40's

mj40's

I had an older friend that traded his cherry 58 for a roofing job on his house. He gave them the title and they towed it away. A week later he found a pallet of shingles in his driveway but never made it to the roof. They couldn’t be located. I got some friends together and we finished it for him. Bastards!

3. No rust and a coupe in the northeast is a plus, Bel Air and not a hardtop instead of an Impala is a minus. 235 and glide are minuses too.

My five year old Old Cars Price Guide says $2300 for a #5 car, that is complete but in need of total restoration, subtract 10% for the six. If that hood lip and upper grille trim is missing, deduct a good $150-$200 more.

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

I recently found a VERY rough coupe in MUCH worse shape than that one and I've had offers in the $1,500 range but I'm just letting the chips fall where they may on e-bay. I'd say your is worth $8,000-$12,000 if it's not rusty at the bottom. Maybe I'm over shooting but the 58's seem to be hot. Best way to find out though it to pull it out, clean her up and throw it on e-bay. You may be surprised at how high it goes.

5. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

was it a convertable?i heard a story a month ago about some one trading a 58 348 impala vert for a roofing job..damn that sucks

6. synthsis

synthsis

Cool, thanks for some info guys. Keep it coming, and if you have an offer, PM me.

7. If his is worth $8000 then the last piece of crap rustbucket we have left should be worth the $2300 price.

58s are only hot if they're Impalas, the rest are a dime a dozen - well, they would be if they hadn't rotted so much, but I've found plenty of them - 2dr, sedan, wagon, I even had a sedan delivery here - that's the only one I found a buyer on and it only went for $500.

8. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

As stated earlier...cause you have an Impala and this is a Bel Air.....BIG DIFFERENCE..Impalas are a far more desirable model wich tend to bring big money and Bel Airs only tend to bring good money if restored to perfection....Hell, check out the fairly solid one out in the classified w/the 348 for $5grand & seems like that guy cant give that car away. Its been listed along with that nice yellow one for the longest & its a shame cause they both look like pretty decent cars for the money. The car pictured looks to be pretty solid so it would bring a couple grand but to quote $8-12 tho for a Bel Air in this condition is dreaming!

9. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

$500 bucks as is.

Pull out, power wash, windex, armor-all everything.... $1000.

Good luck :)

10. James427

James427
    BANNED

Yup, not Q-ed in to the 58 market that well I guess. I thought his was the same one I have (Impala) but I see his does not have the roof vent or the cool side moldings now.

11. TexasDart

TexasDart

This does look like a hardtop and not a sedan...so that is pretty rare for a Bel Air. Probably would need some better pictures of the rust areas to really determine worth. A good cleaning would help too. Sweet ride.
    I'd say it's at least worth the 2K....and depending on condition up to 5K.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It looks like a hardtop to me...the only thing I cannot see is if it's a two door hardtop (and a Bel Air two door hardtop is a very desirable car) or four door hardtop. Since there are no side shots of the car, it's hard to tell...four door sedans aren't worth too much.

R-

13. synthsis

synthsis

sorry for the pics, his garage is cramped. it's a 2 door, and from the looks of it a 2 door hardtop (see the 2nd pic)

14. synthsis

synthsis

PM's returned. I think we're honing in on a price, so throw me your offers and we can go from there. Thanks again guys. Hopefully we can get this car back on the road and in the HAMB community.

15. cheveey57

cheveey57

I agree it does look like a hardtop & if it is, it's pretty rare on a Belair......

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Old Car Price Guide values for '58 Bel-Air 2 dr hdtp
    1. 38,000
    2. 26,600
    3. 17,100
    4. 7,600
    5. 4,560
    6. 1,520

Impala values significantly higher (#1 '58 Impala 57,500)

Deduct 10% for 6 cylinder

A #6 car is an unrestorable parts car. #5 value at $4,560...Impalas bring more, but the '58 Bel-Air 2 dr hdtps are coming into their own

17. synthsis

synthsis

Arkie, that's perfect. I'd definitely say the car is either a 4 or a 5, much too nice to be a 6. If I had the room and the time I'd snag the car from him to build for the wife, especially since it's already a powerglide car, she doesn't like the 3spd column shifts.

18. sololobo

sololobo

I stumbled on to a 58 Bel Air hardtop in a ghetto junk yard a while back. 283/P.G., and 98% complete , could be bought for around $800.00. This car is in Omaha, Ne. complete interior, some rust issues but a salvagable car for sure. A "what its worth" post. ~Sololobo~

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If the floors are patchable it's a $2K car. If the bottom of the car is gone, 1500 or less. Looks like it's all there but needs everything

20. Squablow

Squablow

Original front seat is missing, has some 70's looking unit in there. If it's not too bad, that'd bring $2K around here easy.

On the Old Cars Price Guide scale, this car is a 5. A 4 would be running and driving, needing everything but still functional.