Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate to ask, but what's a '55 270 red ram worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoguy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. repoguy

repoguy

Turns by hand, doesn't run.

Never had a hemi, don't know shit about 'em (other that the fact that they rule).

Please give me some idea what this thing is worth.

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Probably not what you want to hear but I bought a '55 270 that had been siting for about 20 years with a stick bellhousing ,flywheel clutch and PP for $300. Brought it home, put plug wires on it, hooked a gas can to it and it fired right up. A little smoke for about 2 minutes and it cleared right up, and starts the first revolution of the crank, has good compression. I'm tempted to just clean it up, paint it and put it in my '32 5w if I can find a stick trans to go behind it.

Frank

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

I sold one complete , carb to pan

ran when it came out for $625.00 about 1 year ago

4. repoguy

repoguy

Wow, yeah I was thinking it was worth more.

Oh well. We'll see what it brings on the evil ebay.

Thanks for the responses.

5. dv8

dv8

Jeff, I paid $500 for my 241 an it was a runner.....

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Yeah, Thats the problem with the general public.....

A '67 426 Hemi went for 10 Grand so mine must be worth 5 grand easy..

Being into DeSoto's i run into it all the time, Every one THINKS the damn thing are worth as much as a 392 Chrysler...

Hence, The buyer cant sell it and it causes FRICTION between buyer~sell relationships.

Good luck with the sale and unless its not froze up and a Runner & you can prove it, expect anywhere from $200.00 ~ $600.00

7. repoguy

repoguy

Yes Jon, but you are the $$Original Riverview Gangster$$, and you've got it like that.

I am a simple caveman. You're complicated electronic devices confuse and frighten me.

I need to get out there & visit the "ranch". I know you guys have built a lot of shit since I was last out there. Hope everything is going OK for you bro.

8. repoguy

repoguy

And dude, I was thinking like a grand if it ran, not 5. Considering what I'm paying for the car I'd feel like a criminal if I sold it for that.

9. dv8

dv8

Here's what I did with my Chrysler 331...

[​IMG]

10. dv8, that hemi/A is perfect, you guys musta had more rich retirees in Florida, I never run across a Hemi!

11. S.F.

S.F.

Its worth nothing Ill be happy to come over and haul it away so you wont have to deal with it anymore

12. repoguy

repoguy

Sweet!

I didn't even know you'd built that!

You're so dreamy! (sigh!)

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I was just saying... GENERAL PUBLIC.. didnt meen to point YOU specifically...:cool:

14. They are worth what someone will pay for them I guess. Rags

15. the build off sets the low initial price, drop $2500 in it and you can sell it for 2 grand. that's Hot Rodding for you.
    everyone selling Hemi's think they are gold. those building them spend that gold........jim

16. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

This goes back maybe 15 years but I bought a '55 270" Poly and a Hemi together for $300. The Poly ran, the Hemi didn't. The Hemi valve covers were embossed "Super Red Ram" It seems like most of the '55 (and maybe 56's too) used plain valve covers and the Super Red Ram on them were stickers. I sold the embossed valve covers for close to what I paid for the two engines. See which ones are on yours and if they're embossed or even better yet, dimpled for adjustable push rods be sure to show them off on the Ebay auction. Also, my hemi was the two barrel version if yours has a four barrel it should sell for more $$$. Good luck.

17. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Here is a 241 Red Ram..It's the same except for the stroke..I only paid $500.00 for it..Reality, I now have $5,000 into the engine..I spent the gold..Like my signature says.." If you can't afford it, don't own it"..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

18. henryj429

henryj429

I sold a 241 last week in a stripped 4 door body for $650. The engine was stuck, but the buyer wanted the mounts and trans. My buddy just pulled a 270 out of a school bus on his grandpa's farm (luckily free). That one will be in a Model A chassis eventually.

If you are lucky enough to have a 4 barrel intake, I've seen them sell for $500+ more than once.

19. 29 de soto

29 de soto

any hemi thats complete is worth 500.00 but there are so many variables as to which ones are worth a bunch.after you have a hemi in your car it seems like everybody comes up to you @ a gas station or a show and knows of 1 for sale ,thats how i have got my last 2..