Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I hate my tail lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jan 19, 2015.

1. birdman1

birdman1

001.JPG
    002.JPG
    I always wanted to use Caddy tail lights on a HotRod, si after 50 years of waiting to build it, this is what it looks like. Not a pretty sight! Guys on The Hamb here told me not to, but I did it anyway. Open for ideas, do not want to do any more painting. Maybe just set the tail lights deeper into the holes?

2. BJR

BJR

Change the lens to 54 Buick? Would not stick out then.

3. They don't improve or enhance the look of the car,
    IMHO, it's winter and your probably not going to be driving the car too much over the next couple of months,repair the holes and repaint the fenders. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

4. ev88f

ev88f

Maybe tunnel them in like 3-4 inches?

5. I'm in agreement with using '54 Buick or maybe '56 Chevy lenses. Those Caddy's are too obtrusive.

belair and Dave Mc like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

You didn't listen the first time, but now you will? I'd recommend some '41 Studebaker taillights, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Fill the area in, prime, install stock lights, repaint later.. There, that was easy..

8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I think they look cool, sorta George Jetsonish. I would do something about the gas filler opening or cap.

special-k likes this.
  9. oldsman41

oldsman41

I think the cheap way would be the buick lenses or the chev lenses. if you like the points on the caddy set them back in so they don't look so obnoxious.

10. 1pickup

1pickup

I also love the Cad lights, just not on there. hard to beat a '39 teardrop or '40 chevron. bite the bullet & return to either of those.

Model T1 likes this.
  11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I kinda like your idea about shortening them up some. You can try it--if it looks bad you haven't lost much. Like Oldsman41 says.

12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

remove them and fill the holes and put the chevrons back on it...hard to beat original chevrons

13. Do what Larry said...

14. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Exactly

15. 2935ford

2935ford

if you are going to keep them.....yup, set them in but set the top one in further than the bottom to help follow the fender line.....JMHO

16. birdman1

birdman1

Probably not!! LOL

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That should have been obvious when it was in primer. At least change the lenses for now, before you get written up for indecent exposure.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. Colin HD

Colin HD

I agree, they are kina ugly.
    As a quick fix, loose the chrome bits & shorten the lens by 3 inches.
    Will do until you come up with a better plan.

Always thought 59 Caddy lenses would look kool 'inverted' sort of frenched, with the point facing in, if you know what I mean!!

19. Yep ugly as butt, you either needed to sink 'em deeper or cut 'em off shorter. There is nothing uglier that a cad light sticking a mile out past the sheet metal.

Ok nowthat we got that out of the way, what ya gonna do about it? :D

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Those are hideous. Do t bother sinking them In, because they will still be hideous, just even harder for traffic to see. The stock tailights look fantastic on those cars, I would go back to those. But it's your car and if you really didn't want to repair or do a ton of work, I'm sure the suggestions for '54 buick or other things could be managed.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I upgraded my 39 teardrops several times over the years. My problem was they were hard to see. I switched to halogen; then to leds with bluedots. I finally switched to 39 Lincoln leds. I like the caddy taillights; but not on your car. You need something longer that puts out some light. Be prepared for some body work.

22. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Instead of changing the holes where the lights are can you just remove the lenses and get some red acrylic flat plastic and cut out the flat rounds & install them? If so no body or paint required. Just put a gasket under the new acrylic lenses. Good luck, Jimmie

23. caton462

caton462

Fill them, install chevrons, paint just that area and use pinstripes to hide any paint issues.

24. If you sink them in. I'd suggest letting only a hint of the tips show. I'd have suggested a bit more space between them and having the top one above the current top position, setyim
    NGO it bak with the curve of the fender. It would be quite dramatic. I can shoot a sketch to ya in about an hour. At the Dr.'s office right now.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. Or do what Larry suggests. Classic and perfect.

26. yes and add a bumper, license plate holder, chrome exhaust tips. maybe also 3 pieces of trim, at the height of the lights running forward along the fender.

27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

This, only this

Attached Files:

ct1932ford and 28A like this.
  28. Art Deco and rocket ship don't really go together.

As much as it sucks here's another "do what Larry said"

29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this. It will flow much better