Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate GM alternators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blair, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Blair

Blair
    from xx

So I mounted this chrysler unit instead.

I still need to make another bracket for the adjustment, but I think I like it. I know that the water pump pulley doesn't have that much belt wrap, but I think its OK. What do you think???

alt-close.jpg

alt-front.jpg

alt-side.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

I think the belt will squeal when you get it running....notice the pivot bolt for the mount is on an imaginary line drawn from the alt pulley, to a point between the crank and water pump pulleys. So when you try to adjust the belt tension, nothing will happen. The pivot should be 90 degrees from where it is now.

But it is a nice change to see Mopar stuff on a chevy!

3. Blair

Blair
    from xx

The belt that is on it is one I had laying around and is too long. The alternator will sit a bit to the left when I get the right (shorter) belt on it. But you are right, it won't work the way it is sitting right now.

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

Chrysler alternators are cool looking just never trusted the press on pulleys..

5. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

no way of mounting it down low? i had the one on my 50 chevy mounted about where you have it and i had nothing but problems with it up there.

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That thing looks huge on that small block. If I was to look quick I'd swear you put a VS57 Paxton blower on there. Mopar alternators are great, but I just think it looks sorta funny on there

7. Blair

Blair
    from xx

It does look pretty big, but hey it is pretty big.

I can't mount it down low because it is too big! It almost fits but the post/boss on the back hits the steering box.

The only other option was to have it hang way out on the side of the motor (like a BBC), which I didn't want.

So maybe this will be the new craze. Mount an alternator that looks like a blower????

8. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Don't be afraid to try something different! If it works, then I say run it!