Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Hate California Gas Pumps!!! (anyone else??)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elvisaurusrex, May 1, 2012.

1. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I just scored a VERY sweet '64 Skylark from Mr. Ian Berky, however, I have been having a hell of a time putting gas in the thing. Does anyone else hate using the "Healy Vapor-Lock" gas pumps? I usually spill almost 8 fl. oz every time I pump it up. I don't mind wasting expensive, overpriced CA premium, but my girlfriend hates me coming back to the car smelling like gas! Anyone had experience? I am using a stock gas tank under the license plate- with a 3-inch-drop, I wouldn't mind re-locating considering I have to take a knee to put gas in it. Solutions anyone? 'till then, I will be trying to do it "slowly".

2. mlagusis

mlagusis

I have a 95 Jeep Wranlger daily driver and have the same problem. Kind of defeats the purpose of the vapor lock when you are aspilling every time you fill up. The only thing I try to do is watch it when the meter reads 13 gallons and start to slow down and try stop it

3. Had the same thing happen to me in my Olds over here in VA.
    Just been trying to do it slow now.

4. I hold the seal open while it pumps, defeats it's purpose but I don't get gas all over me or my car.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

We have them here in Phoenix too... Always called them nozzel condoms! Try filling ANY early sixties to early seventies Ford product with a centered rear panel filler! You got it easy!!!

6. gas pumper

gas pumper

This is exactly how to do it. Takes two hands to operate the nozzle.

And most of the vacum systems don't work anyway. Here in NJ we got 'em too. The Vac only needs to be turned on when the pumps get inspected. Most are broken or disabled.

7. Same thing use to happened to me also! Pump slower.......or re-locate if your done dealing with it. Can't pump gas where I live now..........down side to that is the attendants don't mind getting gas all over the place........car or truck included.

8. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Same here. I have to do it that way when filling up my bike or else I only get half a tank, the rest blows all over my prized italian machine.

9. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Luckily the station I usually go to lets me pump my own gas, which is nice. Any other station would yell at you if you tried to pump your own gas... illegal... taking our jobs... nonsense, bullshit, etc. Then they act all embarrassed when they spill gas all over the place.

One of the very few things I dislike about Oregon.

10. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Never seen one of those vapor recovery nozzles. At least not yet.

I wasn't aware that there are states that won't allow you to pump your own gas. :confused:
    I have on occasion while pumping my gas, thought about how it's actually surprising it is allowed at all.
    Considering some people seem barely smart enough be able to find their way out of bed in the morning. And yet we allow them to pump highly flammable liquids? :eek:

11. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

It's amazing. The new nozzles, designed to recover vapors....actually end up spilling more liquid than the vapor they intended to recover. I want to know who "passes" these things? Who actually said it is a better method? BECAUSE IT'S NOT.

12. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Oregon for one. We went up there for a swap meet, stopped for gas, and the attendant ran out of the office towards us waving his arms like some sort of nut. He said we can NOT pump our own gas, or he, the station owner, and I would get each a fine. I think it was $300 each for the 3 of us

13. XXL__

XXL__

Ditto. My filler is in the bed floor, so I'm squirting straight down... but it WILL NOT pump unless I pull all the way back on the seal. Last year, at a gas station I don't frequent, an employee came over and told me I had to let go of the vent or I wouldn't be allowed to pump gas there. I showed him that I wouldn't be "allowed" to pump gas if I didn't hold the thing back. Ozone nazi was dumbfounded, but wouldn't let me continue. So, the air above his gas station is especially clean if you're feeling like you need a deep breath of fresh air... just don't plan on buying any gas there.

14. XXL__

XXL__

The company that makes nozzles. The CEO is the cousin of the brother-in-law of the State Rep who sponsored the bill. I'm sure it's all just coincidence.

15. Cool that you don't get hassled to much. One time I had an attendant actually tell me that I should relocate my gas tank filler neck one of the rear fenders so it would be like all the "new cars and trucks" and then they could just set it and walk away! :eek::mad: Amazing!!

16. TxRat

TxRat

Texas has them too, I have to pull the vent back to pump gas in my 57 as well.

17. Lmao! So true!!!!!!

18. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Wear a pair of leather gloves when you fill up. The gloves will soak up the gas so your hands won't smell. Stations here in Newbraska have hand sanitizers to help get the smell off your hands.

19. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Same thing happens with our modern 2007 daily driver and our 66 Chevy ... Haven't had the problem with the model a though!

20. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I found a way around them but I have not tried it since 2010 since I took my wagon off the road. The trick is to use a funnel from the Blitz plastic gas cans.. Just shove it in the filler neck the stick the nozzle in the funnel and wamo easy as one two three :D

21. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

You're probably right

22. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

California native, lived here my entire 62 years and my biggest problem with California pumps is the amount of tax that is supposed to maintain our roads. Roads here are the worst (in my experience) that they have ever been.

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

I have a Dodge pick up and a '64 Fairlane that has the filler behind the license plate. I've never had a problem with either of them. I'm trying to figure out how you would spill gas.

24. roughneck424

roughneck424

Lets not tell the " Do Gooders" or they will outlaw all the cars that cant be filled up correctely :)

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know, but everywhere I have lived I managed to look at my gas guage and figure roughly how much I need. Then I watch the display on the pump and look at how many gallons or litres have been pumped. I don't spill gas at all. And as for that "no matter how you shake or how you dance" part of gas pumping, I turn the nozzle back up to about 45* and leave it in for a couple seconds. If your regular cost $6 a gallon, you would too.

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Thank the EPA morons. They have no common sense. Lets reduce evaporative emissions with special gas pumps that don't work and cause lots of fuel to be spilled. The same mentality as putting ethanol in gas to save usage. However, the ethanol causes fuel economy to decrease. This stuff is going to get worse and worse.

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here in CT they started using the vapor nozzles about 10 [maybe more] years ago and didn't last very long and they all disappeared..Now they all got so much pressure you can only open them a little or else it'll puke back on you before it clicks off...

28. Cerberus

Cerberus

I got tired of the dribbles and the pump clicking off and on. Went to Orchard Hardware and got 3/4" i.d. x 8" long diesel fuel hose. I slip this on the pump nozzle, pull back on the vapor seal, and fill the tank without spilling a drop. When done I toss the 8" hose hose in the trunk. The pump nozzles are 3/4" o.d., and the rubber hose fits on snugly. :D

richards69impala likes this.
  29. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Enviromental wack jobs that think they know best. Morons like Al Gore who most likey has never pumped his own gas. My dad owned a service station and I cant remember alot of people spilling gas all over like the new pumps now with that stupid vapor hose. Doing more harm than good in my opinion.

30. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

or get one of these:
    http://www.mccuff.com/

Could be worse, you could live in Oregon and deal with what we have to on a daily basis at the fuel station :mad: