Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I guess it finally happened, I have turned into my grandpa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 18, 2021.

1. All the earlier mentions of Roundhouse Bibs sort of piqued my interest.

So here's a quick tour of the factory with Cliff from "Cheers" (John Ratzenberger).

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like many of you are getting on in age, will be 67 next month. I think as we get older we have come to terms with the fact that we are not going to be on this planet forever and therefore anything that is bullshit or a distraction we have less and less time for. I try to be more patient if I can. I am not a cranky old man but I can get an attitude if I think you wronged me for no good reason. Do I like older stuff, certainly. Do I hate newer stuff. No. I use what works for me and ignore the rest. I think part of the problem we have as a nation is that people have lost the ability to let things go. Hence all the political correctness police! We can't get past someone having a different opinion or way of doing things. It creates a divide that nobody wants to cross. I do try harder to better understand things though. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I fail miserably, but the good lord willing I get to try and do better the next day.

toolz, j3harleys, chopped and 10 others like this.
  3. I don't know if you did this intentionally, but I think you may have invented a new word.o_O

Techknowledgey.

It's a word that is self-explanatory and describes an existing condition. It would look right at home in any modern dictionary. And I'm surprised that it's not more commonly used.

If it matters to anyone, I approve.
    :cool:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Deuces, seadog, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I have a year or two before I retire, and can't wait. I'm just tired of it all. I work for an automotive supplier. I've noticed that auto companies never make mistakes, they just have bad suppliers. And if those suppliers would just get their shit together, everything would be great. I just want to be home and putter around in my garage.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ive also been seen as anti social, and prefering life in the less technological lane (despite requiring it for my job).
    I buy american as much as possible.
    So many american made jeans just cost so damned much, and as one who ruins a pair as fast as I do I cant justify it. But dang, those roundhouse jeans are actually very competitive in price with the overseas brands. ill have to order a pair

Deuces, williebill and Roothawg like this.
  6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Bag Phone ? That was high tech in 1989, had one, felt it was worth while for my business use when traveling. Still remember $5 connection fee, $1 per minute plus a base monthly charge, long distance charges, pretty expensive date back then. Remember Pay Phones/booth, I remember always having bunch of change so I could call someone if I needed to. Way back, party line home phone service, still remember, 2 short, 1 long, 1 short our # sp 4 1414. Wow I am OLD.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

My father in law used to give my kids, empty film canisters filled with quarters to keep in their car, in case they needed to use a pay phone......

Tman, Turnipseed, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  8. Have you ever written any code?

You're right, though, that code doesn't have any feet, but some mechanical things do.

Either everything has "soul" or nothing has "soul". You choose.

9. Last spring at work my foreman came to me with a cart full of aluminum 2" round tube and a quick hand draw print of a safety railing they needed of the shop.

All the pieces were cut to length but need to be fish mouthed before I could weld them.

Our tubing notcher was nowhere to be found so I used my hand grinder to notch it. All the 20 somethings just looked in disbelief.
    One said "I had no idea you could do that with a grinder I thought it had to be done with a notcher."

I asked "How do you think they did it before notchers?"

Tman, Cosmo49, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember when each condom came with a quarter in it? "If you can't come, call".

12. About 30 years ago, I walked by a full length mirror just after I stepped out of the shower. Took a look in the mirror and thought.... "grey hair, short, pot belly, skinny legs.......Holy shit, I've turned into my Dad!". My parents lived through (and raised kids) the depression, so they were not of the use-it-and-throw-it-away mentality. I'm not quite as stringent in that thought, but basically I don't "upgrade" until I need to. I have a flip phone, but since I don't carry a purse, I'll NEVER have a smart phone (they are called "smart" because they have figured out how to control you). Basically though, I think I like the old stuff better because this old brain don't like learning new shit.

13. clem

clem

Thanks, that was really interesting.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I could be turning into my grandpa and would not know it. one died around 1930 and the other some time in the 40's. on a positive note if my Dad's father did not die young my brother, sister and I would not exist as my dad aunt and grandma moved from Nova Scotia Canada to Oakland Ca. before my pop even started school.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. I love my bibs {Oshkosh, by gosh!] but my wife goes into a melt down when I wear them....she was raised on the farm and hated it....moved to the big city after high school [12 in her graduating class] and does not want to be reminded of those days. I wear them every time I get.
    I'm a helluva lot more like my dad then either of my grand fathers.

Tman, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Spell check let me down, pretty sure I have invented a few new cuss words in my time working on my cars. LOL. googled it, comes up in urban dictionary with a definition, also a company on FB uses my spelling.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My sister got married back in Oct and I was part of the wedding party (?). The only rule she had for me was 'NO BIBS!'. I was slightly offended but got over it....;)

Tman, Lil32, hotrodjack33 and 5 others like this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

989A8DE9-3B77-4774-8DA8-FD7C03217A16.jpeg
    here I am with my best friend in my Round House...tough day. We napped like this for an hour or so...

Tman, brando1956, Lil32 and 10 others like this.
  19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'll be damned ... so, there's 3 uses for the film cans, not just 2.

20. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 78 years old and for years my 'uniform of the day' has been Roundhouse Bibs. The top pocket holds items that are handy for working in the shop. Including my glasses, ball point pen, pencil, Sharpy, 6" scale, small screw driver, and now days a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I also like the option of leaving the side buttons unbuttoned. The HAMB is the only social media I get involved in. My grandson dragged me into the 21st century by getting me a smart phone but I mostly use it for taking pictures of stuff I'm working on to help me remember how to put it back together.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

I didn't realize they were actually ever buttoned....

56don and Chris Nantus like this.
  22. Wild guess, the pooch is your best friend right?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32, hotrodjack33 and Roothawg like this.
  23. 6inarow

6inarow

Im throwing the bullshit flag here. Its not hypocracy. Can you walk to the parts store to get a dual carb intake for a 235? Hell no - there are no corner parts stores selling them - you have to order online. thats not hypocracy, its the way it is. You are on here looking for information for that same 235 because the local mechanic is gone too - he is an automotive technician who , when you say you are looking for help rebuilding those carbs , says "carburetor??? Ive heard of them?"

I love this thread. Like others have said - now get off of my grass!!!

Tman, Lil32, alanp561 and 6 others like this.
  24. TCATTC

TCATTC

Something else you realize as you get older, people are always saying "one day I'm gonna do this, one day I'm gonna do that".....the reality is "One day" is not nearly as far away as it once was

25. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only that... folks rely on the HAMB because this stuff isn't a dime a dozen anymore. Advice here can stop you from making a $2500 mistake that, 50 years ago, would've been a $10 mistake. Sometimes learning the old fashioned way isn't cost effective. ;)

26. trollst

trollst

6inarow.....you couldn't be more wrong. I get my stuff from Mac's auto parts here in princeton bc, I don't buy anything online, my parts store is a small family run place, if I need a two carb manifold, they can order it for me the same way I can get it online, and they can get a dealer discount. Buying online, having it dropped off at your door is the reason mom and pop parts places have dried up, whether you understand that rationale or not. I AM old school, Mac's needs to feed several families and I do my best to make sure they can, traditional isn't just a style, it's a lifestyle I try to preserve and supporting the little guy is a huge part of that.

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, I'm old, fat and balding...just like my Grandpa was...but that "infinite wisdom" thing he possessed has somehow alluded me:(

kjmmm and Roothawg like this.
  28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

THEEE best.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. 1ton

1ton

With age comes wisdom and only the wise old owl know how many licks it takes to get to the chocolaty center of a Tootsie Pop.

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I try and buy local when I can. That’s kinda what started all this. I like to support my friends and neighbors. We don’t really have any mom and pop parts stores in our town. Just a couple of chain box store types.