Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I guess it finally happened, I have turned into my grandpa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 18, 2021.

1. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Roothawg, I hear you! I wear bib overalls, because with my Dunlap's disease if I wear jeans I would look like these young gangbanger wannabes with my pants around my ankles when I bend over and try to do something close to the ground. A friend of mine that volunteers at Helping Hands brought me a tote full of 8-track tapes that someone had donated, but they were going to throw away because "no-one wants that old shit". Some of them actually played!!

loudbang, Deuces, Bob Lowry and 5 others like this.
  2. I would enjoy some pics of the dragster. :)

3. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

So, Moriarity, how many green bananas are a "lifetime supply"?:D:D

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’m hopping for 1/2 Grampa and 1/2 dad

loudbang, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Same..........even down to the Bibs! And I live in Wisconsin! 20210218_174043.jpg

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The dragster build thread is in my signature as HA/GR Build. Still has a way to go as there have been health delays and lack of funds. Those problems are less than they were and once the '64 Dodge altered wheelbase project gets back together more time will go into the dragster.

loudbang, Deuces, Bob Lowry and 5 others like this.
  7. I try to keep my life as uncompleted as possible. I don't text, I don't E-mail, if I need to talk to someone I do it face to face or by real phone on the wall. I do own a cell phone (flip) simply because there are very few pay phones now. When I order from Summit, or Speedway it is by phone not an internet order.

I always reach for hand tools, I will take a speed wrench over an air ratchet every time.
    I have to use an auto darkening welding helmet at work and I hate it! I use a gold shade 10 at home.

I refuse to own a truck with an automatic transmission, I think my daily driver 94 Chevy half ton with AM/FM and cloth seat is too fancy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    mnjeff, Deuces, Bob Lowry and 4 others like this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, my mother was born in Muskogee, OK., and we were, in todays world, "poor white trash". Just didn't
    know it. As kids we used to walk down alleys to "garbage pick" and
    was thrilled to find cool stuff. Now it's fashionable to look for old stuff, haha..I am NOT on any social media,
    have a never-turned-on flip phone in my pocket just in case my car breaks down. You can never go back,
    and the good old days were never as good as you remember, so I keep positive, hang out near any car
    gathering, and try to be an "old fart" model to those that matter. Hot rodding has been my life anchor,
    and I hope to ride that boat into the sunset, with the headers wide open.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    loudbang, OLSKOOL57, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  9. The other day I was complaining about the all the backward hat pants hanging off their asses punks I saw the last time I was in Walmart.

My mom said "39 years old and you're already a grumpy old man!"

winduptoy, Just Gary, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm 62 years old and raising my soon too be 10 year old grandson and have been since he was 1. If you don't understand younger people it's your own fault, there not much different from us at there age. Sometimes life has taught them different values than yours but they are just kids with the same needs as we had.
    My grandson likes video games but give him his fishing pole and tackle box, food and a few friends and they will kill a day at, in the water. If you listen carefully to them there interests are the same car's, motorcycles and girl's!
    I've had kids in my house for 40 years and they haven't really changed but maybe your tolerance has.
    In a few years I plan on introducing adrenaline to my little man in the form of a OT big block mopar. He loves drag racing and motorcycles but I want a cage around him to start with. I have no plans for running away from any thing. Bring it on.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do not know if I am becoming my grandfather just yet but I have became my dad,the only new tech that has to do with cars I like is the new car audio. I do not miss having cases of 8 track tapes or cassettes or even CDs in the cars,I love being able to have a bunch of tunes on something I can put in my pocket and satelite radio so I do not have to listen to commercials.

12. Damn, most of the pictures are gone. I did see a few on the last page. Very cool. I have a 60s FED that is waiting it’s turn to get done. Unfortunately no pics on my phone. You don’t see too many drag cars on here any more. I miss that.

13. I too have turned into my granddad (Highpockets)I expect everything I buy to last the rest of my life, I hate change and embrace being a old fart. HRP

14. Never knew either of my grandfathers and my dad died when I was 6 so I'll never be any of them. I will, however, be 80 in 3 weeks and am proud to be my own individual grumpy old geezer. Shut the damn door, you think I want to heat the whole outdoors? Stupid kids!!

15. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Roothawg, you started an interesting thread with all the different peoples ideas. Some draw a line in the dirt and it makes them happy to stay on their side of the line. That's all well and fine; me, I live in a 121 year old house with no A/C, most of my cars don't even have A/C either. I have cars with points, some with fuel injection, newest car is 2005 and it sets in waiting in case we need it some day. Yea, I like old stuff and ways but I'm happy that I don't have to ride a horse to town either. I'm happy that I can communicate with my family and friends with a new smart phone and know people like loudbang and you on my laptop. God, I live in the best of times and happy that I'm myself.

mnjeff, little red 50, rod1 and 9 others like this.
  16. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Yabbut, don't you have a little nostalgia for driving down a country road and seeing an 8track strung a half mile in a fence row after being flung out the window in a fit of rage?

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Every once in a while I add this on the H.A.M.B.
    I think some haven’t read it.
    Worth repeating.
    Not written by me.

I grew up in the 40s/50s with practical parents. A mother, God love Her, who washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it. She was the original recycle queen, before they had a name for it...
    A father who was happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones. Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends Lived barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dish-towel in the other. It was the time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, eating, renewing. I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But then my mother died, and on that summer's night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more.
    Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return. So... while we have it... its best we love it.... and care for it... and fix it when it's broken...... and heal it when it's sick.

This is true. for marriage..... and old cars.... and children with bad report cards..... and dogs with bad hips.... and aging parents....and grandparents.

We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep. Like a best friend that moved away or a classmate we grew up with. There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special..... and so, we keep them close!

18. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Wow that is amazing.....

loudbang, Petejoe and Deuces like this.
  19. Grandpa likely reminisced about the horse and buggy. What did he think about Elvis or Jefferson Airplane or Iron Butterfly. I like the old stuff cause it feels like old stuff and usually looks way cooler. Time rolls on, they just landed a rover on mars. Making progress makes the nostalgia for the old days even more valuable or desirable- some of the time. With minus 20 and a couple feet of snow I am okay with forced air heat and a 4x4 that starts. I’ll keep this as a hobby, my kid will have his own, I think his will have a screen.

loudbang, Deuces, seb fontana and 3 others like this.
  20. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Funny you mentioned refrigerators that do everything. I drank that koolaid 5 yrs ago. The fucking thing did all these things but wouldn't keep anything cold or frozen. I spent 3500 bucks on a total piece of shit and when I tried to have it fixed they wanted another 1200 bucks for a fix they wouldn't guarantee. DONT BUY AN LG. I now have an old Kenmore with no bells and whistles and it works great.

21. Roothawg

Roothawg

image.jpg Just for giggles, here he is in his car that he built from other peoples cast off pieces. He’s behind the wheel.

This was a group headed to Falls Creek Baptist Church Camp. It is about 1.5 hrs south of OKC by today’s standards.

22. chopped

chopped

I'm 75, wear shorts and a tee 360 days a year. Have a cell phone, used it about six months ago. I think I'm on the same page as you.

mnjeff, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  23. I have turned into my dad. My Grandfather had no interest in anything mechanical...

loudbang, Deuces, williebill and 2 others like this.
  24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Holy crap. I guess I'm in good company. Just over the last few years I started buying things in a life time supply and here I thought it was just me.

loudbang, williebill, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  25. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I guess I'm a bit of an old soul because I'm not yet 50 and I hate all this tech.
    My big issues are with cars and airplanes. Why can't you buy a new truck with a manual transfer case and roll up windows and why would I want a single engine aircraft with a glass cockpit and leather seats to fly in the Bush. All this tech has turned people into lazy unskilled weak zombies.
    As far as the comments about being hypocritical goes, I call BS. As much as I would like to ditch all of this new tech, I and we cant anylonger because it has become such a big part of our world.
    I will end with this- why is it that with all the tech we have our work force works more and produces less.

26. You’re not going to let him live that down, are you.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Thor1, Lil32, lothiandon1940 and 5 others like this.
  27. I'm not reading every post. I'm gonna' "keep it simple." :)

That 1st post's picture .. is one of my favorites here. 4 generations, in one picture, and in one truck cab.

How cool is that ?? ( !!!!! )

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I was a grandfather at 42, still am and thats why at 72 I will soon become a Great grandfather. I use the word great loosely and I find myself buying all kinds tooling; just cause its neat, not that I will use it but I can if I have it..;)

29. This is a normal way of life for me, been like this since I was a kid......maybe because I was raised a good chunk by my grandparents. I was into computers in H.S, but that turned into cars also, always liked everything "old, vintage or antique". This is really my only online presence, not that I can't, I just don't want to.

I live in the modern world by necessity not by choice.....how's that for anti-social :).