Register now to get rid of these ads!

I guess 50mph winds and a temporary tarp garage is a bad combo... PICS>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I got a call from home that my pole / tarp garage was dancing around the pad in front of that garage and I should come home and check on it. I had about 30 minutes before I could leave...when I got there the worst thing that could have happened DID happen. I bought this thing at COSTCO and it is pretty sturdy, and after assembling it I put each leg in a 5 gallon cement buckets to hold it down...it obviously didn't work.

When I got there and it was flipped upside down, torn in 4 places, a leg took out the corner of my windshield, another took out my drivers fender, three legs are bent in half and the center support is crushed. Needless to say I have a big mess to clean up. It could have been worse, much worse, but this really does put me a couple steps backward in my progress...not to mention will cost me around $600 as well.

LESSON: Go home when you get that call, and think very hard about disassembling your pole / vinyl tarp garage in winds over 30 mph.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Anderson

Anderson

That sucks. I'm sorry to be "that guy" but have you checked out the current situations of both Tuck and the other HAMBer who also lost his whole shop to a fire who's handle now escapes me? It could have been a LOT worse.....

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yeah, I feel pretty fortunate that it wasn't worse...and, it was somewhat my fault anyhow.

4. BCR

BCR

That is a bummer.

5. cheveey57

cheveey57

That blows (pun intended)

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

It's gusting big down her in the Central Valley, too. Good luck with those repairs.

7. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

no pics?????????? i was thinking about buying one of these

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Crap! Man that stinks, maybe SOME good will come of it. Insurance maybe?

10. big creep

big creep

thats nothing you should see the shit happening in pasadena ca today! fucken trees everywhere on the road! took me an hour to get from my house in burbank to los feliz. usually takes 5 to 10 minutes tops. took me an hour and a half today! almost every traffic light was out! and the freeway was a parking lot, but the freeway is always a parking lot here!

11. slammed 58 chevy

slammed 58 chevy

Looks that tarp ruined the front clip. You just sell it to me cheap haha.
    That does suck though. I had an icy tree branch fall on a bed of a 96 truck I had re done a long time ago. It was fixable but mother nature can frustrate you.

12. That sucks but, Common sense should have told you in the wind it would turn into a parachute. You would have needed at least 150lbs on each corner and the same in the center support to keep it grounded.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

I should show you what mine did to my 51 Merc future project :eek: lets just say I am looking for a roof now ....

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Was it sitting on concrete? Too late now but it would have been easy to put a 1/2" concrete anchor at each pole. You can always cut them off later if they're in the way.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup.... it could have been a LOT worse. Glad the damage is fixable. My previous employer had the same thing happen a number of years ago. He used cinder blocks to hold his down. I warned him, but he was confident the blocks would hold it down.

Next morning, I get to work and the guy who shared our parking lot is there waiting for me. The wind turned the structure into a parachute! One of the cinder blocks was stuck in his windshield :eek: and the rest of the tent had blown all over the parking lot!

Those things are good for shade and keeping the rain off, but a wind above 10mph is trouble waiting to happen.

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wind was tough today at 70 MPH.....completely blew my rentals fence into the pool......UGH!!!!!

17. BPDRacing

BPDRacing

Drills some holes in the legs so you can bolt them into the sleeves you have in the buckets. Looks like the wind lifted the legs out of the sleeves in the concrete and proceeded to weck your stuff.

Sorry about the setback, I get them from time to time but mine are usually self inflicted.

BPD

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

those santa ana winds can be brutal,I've seen them do some crazy stuff.could have been a lot more damage

19. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Wow, hey Royalshifter, 30 miles south, just a nice breeze, hardly noticed it. What gives in this valley??

20. big creep

big creep

high pressure behind a low pressure system makes a shit load of wind!!!!

21. my best friend has a tent 36x18 that a couple years ago in a big storm took off and landed up side down 500 feet from it's original location, despite being screwed into the ground. sorry to hear about your mess. maybe use light weight string to hold one side or end of the tarp down, so it could lift up and relieve the pressure?

22. LabRat

LabRat

Felt pretty pleased with yourself when you set that up didn't you ?
    And now of course , the windsock qualities of your erection are immediately
    apparent ...
    Its ok , writing this thread in hope you stop someone else being such a dick
    will make you feel a little better .
    And the replies from other people being a dick help too ...

And as always , thank your lucky stars one of those poles didn't spear you in the head as you walked outside ... :D

23. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Have not learned the eddy currents of the wind here yet. Santa Ana's in So Cal, like a hurrican, but perfectly clear.......minus all the shit flying around.

24. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

My Corvair convert lives in one of those portable tent garages, and it blows pretty good here in Phoenix on occasion. It's on gravel with the screw in anchors. BUT, it also is tied down to the car,it goes car is going with it. Hooked from the shoulder high horizontal frame tubes to the car with M/C tie downs . Nothing good to hook to on the bottom of a 'Vair so used a piece of pull tape /bull tape tied off at one end with a loop on the other for the M/C tie down to hook into. Not clear? I can do a picture.

25. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

that sucks..sorry that happened to you

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have one of those in back. It has been up for about 5 years. Had to replace the canvas once but that's it. I have mine bolted to my cement slab and we get some serious wind here in Vegas.

27. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

?!? wtf ?!?

Did I miss something here?

28. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

sorry for your misfortune, but that sure is a beauty of a garage right behind it????????????

29. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yeah, but the garage is full, and it's not all my stuff. There's a 24 ft Airstream in there, a full two stalls of tools, shelving, work benches and pallet racks up against the wall, and the side that's sticking out on the passenger side of the truck has 3 cars and a vintage boat in it. But I'll be damned if my truck isn't going in there sometime this next week..I'm done screwing around working outside and messing with a pole garage as a shelter.

If I could figure out a way to anchor it and KNOW it's secure I'd give it a second shot, but I'm a little gun-shy at this point. Had I walked out there 15 minutes earlier I could have been skewered. I'm just glad the cab and glass (other than the windshield) are still in tact. I might try the cement anchor thing...I have a hammer-drill with cement bits and I could try 1/2 inch diameter lags...could work.

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Use Red Heads, they hold better.