Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I got to ride in a 1929 Ford Tri-Motor airplane! Pics inside!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Jul 2, 2009.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a ride in a 1929 Ford Tri-Motor (AKA “The Tin Goose”) airplane. Ford partnered with Stout airplanes from 1926-1933 to produce 199 of these planes. Of that 199, there are 18 which survive and only 6 of them still fly. The one I flew on is owned by the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, WI. It flies around the country to various airports and museums educating the public about one of the first commercial travel planes to exist!

This particular plane, NC84707, has had an interesting life to say the least! It was manufactured August 21,1929 and purchased by Pitcairn Airways which started Eastern Airlines. On October 1, 1930 it was sold and moved to Cuba where it was used by Cuban Airlines until August of 1946 at which time it became Air Force One for the Dominican Republic. It was imported back into the US in July of 1949 where it became a crop duster! It was then used by the Forest Fire Service as a smoke jumper and borate bomber until 1963. In 1964 it was used in the movie ‘The Family Jewels” starring Jerry Lewis and Sebastian Cabot.

Then in 1973 during a stopover in WI it was in a big storm where it was lifted 30 feet off the ground. When it slammed back into the ground it broke into 3 pieces and considered at total loss. At was at that time it was purchased by the EAA. After a 12 year restoration they had the plane resurrected and placed it in their museum flying it only occasionally. It stayed in the museum for 6 years until 1991 at which time it began flying on a regular basis to airports and air museums all around the country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately it was time for fuel before my ride so they shut down the engines. That way I could get a closer look!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Stout/Ford logo and cable controls
    [​IMG]

A Model A taking a photo with the plane (wish I would have had mine there :()
    [​IMG]

There were a lot of older people there checking out the plane which kind of surprised me for some reason. This old guy rode on my flight.
    [​IMG]

Since I was able to bring someone along I couldn’t think of anyone better than my good friend Matt, he is really into early Fords so I figured he would really enjoy it. Here we are about to board the plane…
    [​IMG]

When you entered the plane there was a plaque commemorating the important events in the history of this plane
    [​IMG]

It was pretty roomy inside, definitely a lot different than the military planes I’ve flown on. Looking forward
    [​IMG]

Looking back
    [​IMG]

The cockpit was a lot different than I expected it to look
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two hatches above the cockpit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interior had some ornamental detailing I was surprised to see, including interior lights!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

There was a lot of engine turning on the plane which I really dug for sure!
    [​IMG]

The landing gear
    [​IMG]

There were gauges mounted over each of the engines on each side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a video of starting the plane. The engine nearest me was started last, number 3 of 3.
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i36.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/ChevyGirlRox/2009%20Events/Ford%20Tri-Motor%20Ride/32Homecomingtrip212.flv">

The take off
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i36.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/ChevyGirlRox/2009%20Events/Ford%20Tri-Motor%20Ride/32Homecomingtrip213.flv">

Some pictures in the air
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The landing
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i36.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/ChevyGirlRox/2009%20Events/Ford%20Tri-Motor%20Ride/32Homecomingtrip227.flv">

3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

A couple more pics on the ground
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the plane was used in the new movie &#8220;Pubic Enemies&#8221; starring Johnny Depp. They had this movie poster there touting that
    [​IMG]

It was definitely an experience I&#8217;ll never forget! They do sell rides to the general public at some of their stops, if you&#8217;ve got the time and money I highly encourage it! Check out the schedule here:
    http://www.airventuremuseum.org/fordtrimotor/

More about the Ford Tri-Motor I rode
    http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Ford Trimotor.asp#TopOfPage

More info on Ford Tri-Motors in general
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Trimotor

And a Ford Tri-motor website
    http://www.fordtrimotor.org/

My local air museum where they flight was based out of, MAPS
    http://www.mapsairmuseum.org/

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats way cool Megan

5. shock

shock

Wow that model A was cool :confused:

6. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

wow, really cool. Thanks for sharing the pics!

7. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too cool. How come you get to do the fun stuff :D

8. Oh, and you were right ;)

"Well behaved women rarely make history."

I can fly!

9. Holy crap is that cool! Looks like a great time.

10. last g-man

last g-man

......saw that plane a few years back at the "Air Zoo" flight museum in Kalamazoo, Mi. I didn't get to go up in it [bad weather] but it is an amazing thing to see....pics don't do it justice. Detail/craftsmanship - both orig and the restoration - are incredible. Not to be passed up if the opportunity arrises folks!

Ed

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Way COOL plane, love the cockpit!

Nick.

12. josh77

josh77

The first and ONLY time I've ever flown was in that plane in Oshkosh in about 1993. Thanks for the pics, I remember what a great day that was, looks like you had one to remember too...........:cool:

13. retro54

retro54
    from PA

I got to fly in that plane Spring of 2007 over Harrisburg.. it was a blast! I'd go up again in a second...

I think if you have a pilots liscense and you buy the high dollar co-pilot seat for the flight, they will let ya have a hand at the controls, a buddy i work with got the chance...

cheers!

14. ryno

ryno

bitchen.
    i believe i have a piston out of one of those radial motors.

{{{{ my pic to the side is a radial piston.

15. PG

PG

Oooooo I love old birds. Awesome to see some stickin around.

16. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't you ever work???????????

17. For a number of years, I use to see it fly over the fairgrounds during the Nats North.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Great! Don't ya just love all things mechanical, old and new?!??! Traditional aviation! Gary

19. Very cool Megan! Thank you very much for the pics.

20. very cool indeed!

21. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

very cool.... i just did a few weeks ago a ride in a 1941 stearman biplane!! not as cool as yours but still a blast!

22. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

What a great experience. I see it has Hamilton Standard propellers on it. I worked for them for about 10 years. They made the propeller that Lindberg used on "Spirit of St. Louis" during his historic flight. They also made most of the propellers for WWII aircraft. They had developed a variable pitch prop that out perfprmed everything else. They are still in business and they still build and repair propellers. They now go by the name of Hamilton Sundstrand.

23. I'm pretty sure thats the plane I saw at a really good vintage plane show at Falcon Field in Peachtree City, Georgia. They were given flights, but I didn't have the cash on me that day to ride. I do love old machinery. Great pics!

24. skidsteer

skidsteer

Megan,
    That's top notch, and I love the airborne pictures. My list of things to do has on it "take a ride in a DC-3", however the list just got longer, because I didn't know tri-motors were still flying.

25. Koolman

Koolman

Extraextremely awesome!! Thanks!

26. Fogger

Fogger

Megan, Great pictures and history. OT, good meeting you and Matt at the LARS on Sat. His roadster is right on. Hope you had a trouble free trip back home and make it back out to Cali for next years events. The FOGGER

27. careyohio

careyohio

Megan... YOU REALLY CAN FLY !!!!!!!!
    Carey

28. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great report! I never knew the production total vs. airworthy survivors 199-6, WWII B-17 total production was 12,731 with only 12 still flyable.

30. I got a chance to fly on one when they used to fly out of Kelly's Island...It was an awsome experience, even as a kid...it was the first plane I was ever in too....your very lucky to get a ride in one.....love them things..still got the souvenir model from that ride!