Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got scammed caution. andyw383

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Jun 22, 2012.

1. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Geez, if that's the investigator then it was me. I did it.

2. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Ummmm... send her... uh... the investigator... here too. I have some... uh... information. In mah pants pocket.:D

3. BEAR

BEAR

i would say just STOP talking now its not about where your email comes from .... look into the guys your buying from they have one or two post and have no info about them or car pic's or post just dont do it this guy has been on and off the H.AM.B. for some time now and Ryan will get him off again but he will be back .. if it sound to good to be true JUST ASK US IF YOU SHOULD

4. willys_truck

willys_truck

So let me get this right,all I have to do is scam someone and you will send "THAT" out to take care of me? Sounds like I need to get to scamming! LOL!

5. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

My wife deals with this type of scam every day. You can bet your ass if Nigeria is mentioned in any way, shape, or form, its a TOTAL SCAM!! They are so common they are actually called "Nigerian Scams..." They are also coming from Argentina, Spain, United Kingdom, Russia and more. RUN AWAY! Do not EVER send money to a third party shipper, its part of the scam. If they request money to be sent by Western Union its most likely a scam.
    ok Going a bit off topic here. If someone calls you telling you your son or daughter is in jail in another country and you must send money to get them out, first, before you send anything to anybody, find out where they are. They are probably at home safe and sound. But you'd be surprised how many people will just panic and give anything, bank account, or credit card numbers to someone who claims to have a loved one in jail somewhere. Don't laugh it happens EVERY day. Don't send money to anyone who calls you telling you you have won a lottery in some other country and you can claim your prize by sending cash or an account number overseas to process the tranaction. Its all illegal!! And no, the State Department or the American Embassy cannot help get your money back.
    I'm sure most of you are sharp enough to not fall for this stuff but its shocking how so many people who are educated and should know better get taken every day. There are enough gullible or greedy people to make this pay off for the con artists. And REALLY watch out for your elderly relatives or friends, they are often targeted because they tend to be too trusting, often alone, and an easy touch. The stories would bend your mind.

6. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

First red flag is almost always when they demand you send a Western Union money order. NEVER DO THIS!! unless he is someone you know and have dealt with before.

7. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Last year I received an e-mail for a large order of the models I make. The guy insisted I use a shipper he specified. I agreed to and two days before I was to ship I get a new e-mail demanding I ship by that coming Friday. I wrote to advise him nothing shipped till I got paid. His total was around $1500.00 . He then sends me his shippers info. He said once I let him know the total with shipping he would pay.I checked into them and did find a company by that name but when they told me the total to ship would be twice the value of the box contents and that it MUST be paid via a Western Union money order I got more suspicious. I found a site on scammers and input this clowns address and name and got several hits. One of the funniest was that he was on the island of Malta and wanted to order 200 Turkey calls from a company in Tennessee. Malta has no wild Turkeys!! The scam is to get you to pony up a Money order for the shipping. I sent him another e-mail and advised him to FUCK OFF! Now days we have to be very careful in dealing on line their are tons of crooks out there.

Mike

8. Biggest red flag everyone misses... this guy lives in the UK yet has a part for almost any American car made...

Bob

9. well he did it, but I am the king pin...so send her along with a couple of her friends to come get me! please

10. JEM

JEM

Any one of the four following points raises the scam potential to near 90% on its own:

a) Involvement of Western Union - 90%
    b) The length of the communication - 80%
    c) Getting relatives, agents, etc. involved in the payment or shipping process - 80%
    d) Location unusual for the item involved - 75%*

Total scam potential in this communication - 325%

This one's better than many, but apparently this guy's gotten good enough to fool people.

* I'd note that the UK has vast numbers of 'cottage' businesses in the auto business, and if you're looking for Anglia parts (or historic F1 parts) that's where they're going to come from, and there's other oddities there too. But...I'd be a lot less suspicious of Didcot than inner London...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  11. JEM

JEM

Are those cans semi-auto or burst-fire?

12. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

yep you got that right.

13. OMG!!!! that makes me mad too...seems like no matter where you go, there is one A$$hole out there to ruin it for others. Sounded fishy w/ the Nigerian thing.. cuz i remember getting emails from people out there wanting them to help them out or take their money and put it into 'your' account for safe keeping --some b.s. that you knew was jacked up. I'm so sorry that this 'ish happend to you. WE all work hard to save and get parts - and parts arent cheap especially when you want something of quality. Hope this dude is banned from the Hamb....damn scammers !

14. DrJ

DrJ

I only do business with people I can reach across the bargaining table and punch in the mouth.

15. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I'm sorry this happened to you. Serious red flags though:

#1) too good of a deal
    #2) overseas
    #3) gmail account
    #4) Western Union

Would not have given any $ to this clown!

16. Hello kind sir my name is SAM123esq and I request of you to please release the funds held in my home country of which I have denied access. The amount is 36million USD dollars of which I shall provide you for your service 22 million USD to tranfer to your account. Of this account I shall need your number and date of birth immediately to tranfer funds ..... yep, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

..... now if someone would be so kind to send that pistol-packing investagator my way!

17. I fell asleep at the wheel on this one for sure.

The reason it sounded true- ish is his English was spot on and he knew what he was talking about with the carbs,

I sell alot of stuff on craigs list and kijij and most of these scammers emails are more badly typed then if my 3 year old wrote them!

Bells did go off albeit too late

Could be worse could have taken me for more

Now I have to save up again to get me carbs

Man they are getting expensive

Funny now he has all out stopped responding to me emails. The last one was about the slave trade and he could look at my
    300 as retributions

18. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

lmao!!!!!!!!!!

19. This guy or group has been all over every car forum or sales site on the internet. You want anything and they have it and will ship free from england????????? Sounds too good to be true?, guess what, it is.

20. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

For future deals only use paypal, if a person doesn't ship you product just call paypal, tell em they never shipped it and you'll get your money back. It will take a day or two because they'll ask the other party to provide a tracking number but scammers never ship so they won't be able to provide proof of delivery and you'll get your money back. Plus they require a signature proof of delivery on transactions over $250.00. If you do a postal money order there is still no recourse if they never ship.

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

^^x2 i posted a thread myself about a week or two back, i posted a wanted ad for a chevy truck cab and this guy tried to scam me to no avail. fuckin thieves. itd be awesome if we somehow found out where he is and made a little house call :D

22. southern thunder

southern thunder

not trying to be a smartass, but i live by the old saying.. if it sounds to good to be true.......it probably is......sorry you got burned.

23. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

ditto

24. 2drmerc

2drmerc

These people realy boil my pi55, as if we dont have a hard enought time geting parts for our cars as it is, these non native UK residents go and give the UK a bad name.
    I do hope that you dont think that we are all at it conning/scamming people.
    Im also sorry that this thread has started in the first place because of this ar5e hole.

i will end with another obsevation,
    would it be a good idea to look at there joining date and post count, if there post count is low then check them out before any payments are made.
    if theye are genuine then im sure they wouldn't mind any questions and photo proof.
    iv sold stuff and photo'd them on a news paper of the buyers choice with the date clearly shown to prove i have the item in my posetion

25. Why would you buy carbs from a guy in the UK ? Red flag for sure, I bet you could have found those carbs on this side of ocean... Sucks, lesson learned ... oh well...

26. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Only deal with active members, preferably alliance members.

27. blackrd

blackrd
    from Illinoize

Requesting Western Union payment? Oh jeeze when will people learn.

28. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The vultures frequent fourm classifieds, I encountered one when I listed parts for sale on a Mopar site. They tried the old scam of paying in a cashiers check (bogus) for more than the selling price, all I had to do was refund the difference to his "agent". After a few exchanges I sent his emails to the FBI Internet Fraud Division and CC'd the perp on the emails. Funny, I never heard from him again..

To the OP, sorry but you are probably out whatever money you sent to the scammer. I doubt any law enforcement agency will do anything other than file a report, $400 is pretty small potatos when it comes to fraud...

29. Western Union= SCAM

30. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I was just approached about a Want Add I have for some '53-'56 F-450 fenders.

DEREKK11 contacted me with Pics of a SWEET 55 F-450 Flat bed ha sadi he was parting out.

Said he would ship Fenders & Hood from the UK for $650.00 US DELIVERED & $12,000.00 for the Whole truck Delivered.

I took a Pass on that ............ Sounded like a Scam to me !

If the Mods are reading .......... Maybe look at DEREKK11 ... Could save someone Grief