Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got me a barn (garage) Packard!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fidget, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Fidget

Fidget

A friend of mine is selling his house. He's already moved out, his old one is still for sale, and he goes over to check on it last week. While he was there he notices that the old people next door had moved. He goes over to introduce himself to the new guy working on the house, and sees this 'old car' in the garage. He asks the guy if that's his car, guy tells him it belonged to the old people, it doesn't run, they moved, he wants it out of his garage. He tells me that in the ten years that he lived next to these people, he's never seen that car inside their garage...because they had so much stuff piled in there. He gives me a call, I drop by while I'm working. It's a 1955 Packard Patrician with 86k on it. It's all there, the front is sitting up on blocks, and the guy tells me he wants it out of there yesterday, and gives me the old peoples phone number.

I give them a call. They tell me that they bought it from Memory Lane Motors (it's a local classic car dealer that usually sells restored cars) in 1983. They bought it for their high school age son to drive, he didn't like it, and wouldn't drive it. Grandma drove it a few times, then the battery went dead. Grandpa tells me that they don't know anything about cars, so he hooked up a battery charger, something "flashed" on the fire wall, and it never ran again. So they stuck it in the garage, the front end went up on blocks, and there it sat...in 1984. He told me that a friend from church thought the starter went bad, so he pulled off the starter, and left it laying under the car. Their son thought it had something to do with the electric windows, so he pulled off the drivers door panel, and left that apart. Over the years it was slowly covered with boxes of stuff, and forgotten.

Besides being covered with grime, it has two small dents, one dented piece of chrome (spare piece in the trunk), a trunk full of spare parts, skirts, the exhaust isn't rusted out, no body rust that I've found so far, all the chrome is there, the glass has nothing wrong with it, and it's missing a interior door handle. I called my wife, she said "buy it". The next day it was mine for less than the head job on my Y-block!

The engine turns, the gas has turned to red varnish over the years, all the shocks are leaking, the brakes are gone, and it had four wide white flintstone tires on it. I got it towed home that night. My tow guy hates me. Only two and half of the tires would hold any air, and they were all flat again when we got it home. The Packard was bigger than his flatbed, and he had to take the side rails off to get it to fit. I'm not a real big fan of it's looks, but for some reason, every woman who's seen it so far loves the looks.

So here's a few pictures of my new money pit...if I can get more than one picture to load at a time.

Here's it as it sat in the garage.

Attached Files:

2. Fidget

Fidget

Guess I can't get more than one pic to load at a time.....

Another shot of it as it sat in the garage.

Attached Files:

3. Fidget

Fidget

another....50's interior.

Attached Files:

4. Fidget

Fidget

dash...

Attached Files:

5. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

6. THESE stories are why i think you should have some sort of license to buy fucking tools! And be penalized if caught using tools without that license--------nice car

7. Fidget

Fidget

352 V8

Attached Files:

8. snowman

snowman

That's a nice lookin find. And I thought my SP plates were low!

9. Fidget

Fidget

First time in daylight in over 20 years...

Trunk isn't damaged, it's just open.

Attached Files:

10. Fidget

Fidget

The first human sacrifice...:D

Attached Files:

11. Fidget

Fidget

On the flatbed.

If you notice, it's now dark out. It took almost two hours to get it out of that garage.

Attached Files:

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

That's incredible. Love those dashes. I've seen all sorts of people with neat stuff they say their kid wouldn't drive. Go figure.

13. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

That is a reallly good find im jealous did you get it started yet..?

14. Fidget

Fidget

Cathedral tail lights. The trunk isn't damaged, just open. I buffed out some of the paint, and it's just dirty! :D

Attached Files:

15. congrats.........when will I find my deal like that?

16. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

17. Fidget

Fidget

Home.

First thing was getting back up off the ground. New set of used tires, and found some shocks.

Attached Files:

18. Fidget

Fidget

Last pic, this takes forever on dial-up.

Yes, the chrome is ALL in this good of shape!

Attached Files:

19. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

You Suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

20. Very saaweeet!! Welcome to the Packard club. Looks like a great start to a cool ride.

21. slamdpup

slamdpup

some people have all the luck...congrats on the find

22. Fidget

Fidget

This wasn't a car I really ever thought about owning. It just came my way, and since I have a new daughter...we need a more 'family' type of classic ride. Of course now I gotta add seat belts for the baby seat.

Stat's say there was only 9,127 of these made. So if the usual thinking is only 10% survived this long, I guess it's a rare car. From just looking at the torsion bar leveling system, I can say this is really going to be a learning experience. I'm going to replace everything I can on the brakes first, and I found the power steering pump in a box in the trunk. It looks like it may have gone out on them since the hose was cut off and it was stuck in a box with the belt.

The next problem is that I now have two cars that won't fit in my garage!! Since the wife likes this one so much, I might be able to push for building a shop before an addition onto the house! :p

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man, good for you. Do the most obvious thing there is and join the Packard Club, both the national and the region you're in. I don't have anything handy to point you in the right direction but with the 'net you don't need it. There's tons of repop shit available through them in the form of "club projects" and it's usually priced right. Don't get all sanctimonious about the rarity. They were circling the drain by then and sales were just low in general. The cars were just just built to damn good! Enjoy it. Nice car. Real nice.

24. thats what killed a lot of the independents around then, they refused to drop their quality standards which people were no longer appreciating, meanwhile the big 3 had their price war to try and get max sales and just cut them all out.

25. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Thats cool man. Kanter has alot of the packard stuff you may need to get it running. If it has those crazy lever shocks in the rear hydraulic jack fluid is what you use in them.

26. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Awesome car man, congrats. Best thing is you really don't have to do too much before you'll be cruizin.

Just curious, what does a y head job cost? Sounds like you really scored.

27. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Some Cars Pick There Owners, You Got Picked ! Walking To School We Would See A Packard On The Street, In Chicago And Head To The Back Of The Car. Stand On The Rear Bumper And Get A Free Ride. The Air Suspension Would Raise The Car Up. We Always Did It. The Battery Might Of Suffered. Rich

28. BenW455

BenW455

Thats Cool. I am never that lucky.

29. plmczy

plmczy

Nice score. Why in the world would someone think the power windows would have something to do with it not running?LMFAO later shawn