Register now to get rid of these ads!

i got an engine and a body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jstorm, Dec 26, 2004.

1. jstorm

jstorm

I have a chevy 4 cylinder and am trying to talk a guy out of his 'T body (fiberglass-but for free who cares). I thought about building something out of the two but would like to see some pics of similar cars. It needs to be done on the cheap (new baby eats up the money) and done hopefully by spring and done in a traditional manor. Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.

2. jstorm

jstorm

Thought about doing something like castanedas bubble top. The body would make a good starting point.

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

What kind of Chevy four?

Nova 153?

Monza Iron Duke?

Vega 2300?

Chevette 1.6?

Whichever you have, I'd suggest keeping it dead simple...minimalistic, yet cool!

Basic "kit" T frame, suicide dropped axle front, 8" rear on a buggy spring, glass bucket body, low cut shell and radiator, kegger tank out back, and your Chevy four popper with it's stock tranny for power. Keep what ya need, forget what ya don't.

It actually sounds like a fun project! [​IMG]

4. jstorm

jstorm

chevy 1.6 out of a luv truck ( different project, different board). automatic tranny and rear end. just want something cool to tool around in when i am not riding my flyrite. something i dont need to wash and if it breaks i can fix easily.

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ah! Isuzu power! Interesting choice...show us how it turns out! [​IMG]

6. jstorm

jstorm

When i get done it wont say isuzu on it anymore. Anyone else have any ideas. Fat Hacks one is good and probably will be something like that. Anyone have any pics, doesnt have to have a 4 in it.

7. 46stude

46stude

[ QUOTE ]
    different project, different board

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, LUVTruck.com by any chance? [​IMG]

Fat Hack has got ya on the right track already. A plain simple T should be fairly simple to do on a strict budget & look good too. The 4 cyl will make it fun & get awesome mileage. Check out Total Performance's website- http://www.tperformance.com/ Lots of pictures there to give you ideas & pricing as well. There've been a few "modified" threads here lately, too, w/ lots of pics.

8. jstorm

jstorm

yeah luvtruck. com. Its been converted to s-10 chassis and engine. Total performance was my first stop, thanks for the link. I think i will be able to build it for under $2500, maybe less if i can get my club brothers to hook me up with some deals if they have parts i need.

9. Those little Isuzu 4 poppers look kinda hip! Don't they have a factory finned cam cover? Seems like they do.
    I say keep everything mega lightweight and scrub everything...slather a fresh coat of Krylon on the iron and scotchbrite the aluminum and go for it.

10. jstorm

jstorm

what about aircraft seats. i might be able to get my hands on some or fab some like R&C did in last months issue.

11. jstorm

jstorm

Also maybe a tractor grill. I have seen a few cool looking ones on the way to my parents house. Maybe a light night mission out into the fields of tenn.

12. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If you want to get away from the 6 lug rear I have a Toyota rear I can make you a deal on. Free if you come and get it. I will never use it so I want it out of the garage. I am in Pittsburgh, PA area.

13. jstorm

jstorm

Thanks anyway Jman. i have another s-10 rear i am gonna use. the luvs was geared wrong and i couldnt get above 45mph. i need to go somewhat fast.

14. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Hey Cory! Sounds like your fired up man! Are you gonna let 'ol sparky build you a frame? I am gonna be building one for the Butcher's rustrod,I might as well get your goin' too! The cost of some 2x3, a spool of wire,and a few grinding discs,shouldn't be too bad for a Poor Boy?? [​IMG] This spring/summer were' gonna ROCK! Sparky

15. jstorm

jstorm

hell yeah sparky. that will save some dollars. I want something quick to build while we work on the family car. PLusi cant always ride the bike and want to roll with the cluband show my colors on a car.

16. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

That's the spirit! look at these...

Attached Files:

17. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

and...

Attached Files:

18. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

and..

Attached Files:

19. Sport N Woode

Sport N Woode
    from Middle TN

Hey Brother Man! Maybe we can hook you up with something. So...you got a T and Mr Wud got a 56 and i've got a major case of rust.....sounds like we're gonna be busy for a few months!!! [​IMG]

Did you say bubble top?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hey Sparko...I got the old tranny out and cut off five of the six body mount bolts.....then I found two more....DOH!!! [​IMG]

20. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Always the last bolt gives you fits!! Does this mean we will be blowing bubbles?? I didn't know about wud's 56.

21. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Hey Stormy, what are you using for a front end?

22. jstorm

jstorm

Dont know yet about the front end. If i have to i can order one from total performance. No bubble top yet, maybe someday. I am thinking a flat red with black wheels for color, what do you all think.

23. jstorm

jstorm

i am gonna talk to dude monday about the body. even if he doesnt want to give it up i am gonna try and find another cheap so i can still build this thing.

24. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I origionally bought the toyota rear to put in a '77 LUV i had but it ended up being to wide for being a lowered truck.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Try and find a picture Of Norm Grabowski's T before he built it into the Kookie T. It was a modified and I think a way cooler car than what he finally built. I'm not taking anything away from the Kookie T as it is an icon of hot rodding. I just personally liked the first version better. Look up a picture, I think you'll agree it was a nasty looking little car and one you could clone with the parts your talking about.

Frank

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont know yet about the front end. It needs to be done on the cheap If i have to i can order one from total performance.

[/ QUOTE ]It sounds like you fellas dont know what cheap is. No matter what total performance costs, its way more than Ford straight axles which are so plentiful that you can get them for free. The same goes for the body. T bodies are kinda easy to find, the cowls are very easy to find and the doors and rear panels can be made at home. A fella here used 1" square tubing and skinned it with flat sheets for a roadster pickup. It looked real good until you got up close and looked inside. The square tubing can be covered.

27. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

sounds like you on the right track. keep it SIMPLE. you should have no problem finding an old Ford straight axle for free or super cheap. my bro got a 47 axle with wishbones and brakes for free. drill a bunch of holes in it and it'll look sweet, then mount it suicide style to get the whole thing closer to tera firma.

clean up that 4 ya got and slide it into a T style frame, hang yer axles and yer almost there. if you can find or make some cool bomber style seats the you've got the right look going on inside. bolt on some cheapy steal wheels (or some cheap used mags if you prefer) and you'll be rllin in no time.

sounds like the makings of a good ole Tennessee thrash. keep us posted every step of the way...

28. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I'm clearing space in the shop,this week. Gettin' ready for some frame buildin'.WE can scrounge with the best of 'em. Away we GO! Sparky

Attached Files:

29. jstorm

jstorm

lets build sparky. i guess we need to find some ford straight axles. i will keep my ears open. cant wait to start, i am so pumped up about it.

30. jstorm

jstorm

pic of engine. not the best. the isuzu logo on top will disappear.

Attached Files: