Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got a new 34 Coupe, some say its perfect some say its not, what do you say ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendary Lars, Apr 22, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I haven't read everyone else's comments, but if it were mine, I'd lose the fishtails, put a hood and front hubcaps on it, and put in a dropped axle to give it a little rake. I'd get rid of the white paint on the headers and paint the whole car some solid color. The red's not bad, it's just kinda scroungy looking; maybe it could be saved with some elbow grease.

2. I agree with Lars, also, I'm not a big fan of WW on this type of HOT ROD, looks great overall. Make it safe and drive the hell out of it!! cw.

3. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

To quote those young prophets...."Let it be....."

4. My ideas...let Chip Foose go to work on it and make it a great show car, shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred thousand....NOT! Looks great as is...thats one Kool Kar, wish it were mine!

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Holy shit! They did that to a '69 barn survivor?! What idiots. Almost makes me sick to think about what they probably ruined. Morons. And all just to flip it to try to make some bucks? I have no idea what they started with or paid for it, but if they did in fact find a nice original hot rod like that, they probably could have made tons more marketing it as found in the right places instead f'n it up with rat rod crap.

I guess they never saw the Antiques Roadshows where they say 'well, if you hadn't refinished it, it would be worth 10x's what is is now. But, you still have a lovely piece and I am sure you will cherish it in the family forever.' - as they go cry their eyes out and beat their heads against the wall until they pass out off camera.

6. titus

titus

Looks like fun.

Ditch the fishtail tips or what ever you call em and

Get rid of the spring forward 35-48 ford front end and put a dropped axle in it and do spring over, i hate it when they do that, changes the wheel base so it looks funny.

and find something to take of the striping with, the flames and lettering

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  7. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

I'd lose the exhaust, put that spring over the axle, bring it down a bit in the front, move the radiator and grille shell back a bit, and drive the heck out of it. Its still a 34 ford 3 window which is awesome and hey man if you like it thats all that matters!

8. Make it safe and drive the s#@t out of it.

9. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Now for the positives,

If i saw correctly, the suicide doors look great.

Big shifter if pretty cool.

In great shape, just needs the de-ratification.

10. plan9

plan9

what year was it pulled from an old ladies garage?

11. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

The car is Bad Ass, just lose the fish tails.

12. Master of None

Master of None

Like the car if it were mine I would loose the fins, replace hoses and find or buy a chrome grill shell.

13. MODELA30

MODELA30

Wait wait wait!!!!!!! A minute. The object is to be different from all the other ass holes out there. Or do you want to be a cooky cutter. They sell those at wallmart!!!! Leave the fishtails really how many cars do you see with fishtails!!!!! That just leaves a mark in everyones mind. That is the part that every one here saw first and downed it right away!!!!! But every one will say do you remember that car with those fishtails exactly what i am saying. Just remember every one still remembers those long sideburns elvis had. And how long has he been gone. Did i make my point. Its your car do what you want. Me i would rather piss everyone off but still be remembered as the guy with that car with the fishtails. Bad ass !!! Knuck from indiana.

14. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

LARS...well if it's not perfect, BY CRACKY it will do untill one get's here!...POP.

15. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Love the comments guys, drove it a bit today it drives good needs some small things here and there. I am going to fix it up so its safe and reliable. I am going to track down the old mags, I am looking into the old flathead. I will change out the front suspension for sure. I have not made up my mind about the pipes. I am going to leave the paint as is, in person its all crackle and nasty and I like that. It appears to possibly have had 1 other paint on it a dark green. If the lettering and the flames are from the 60's when it was stored away I will leave that. I think I would lean toward returning it to how it was found, as an ideal I like the thought of putting it back to how it was. I have a Gold Roadster thats basically how it was when it was built.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 55chevr

55chevr

like it the way it is but you should lose the bird shooters ... that was a bike thing in the 70's

17. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I say just drive the darn thing. Hell if I had it in my driveway right now I'd drive the freakin wheels off of it. That would beat the hell out driving my crap any day of the week.....

18. wood470

wood470

Run it and keep fixin it. Tooo cool

19. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

That car was covered in RollsnPleats too..I think it was RnP years ago maybe 2003-04
    i would look for the history before changing anything...IMO
    Oh if you get rid of that SBC i will take it...:)

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Somebody did a lot of unnecessary work to make the pipes go under the car and then back out. I don't get that but wouldn't change them just for look. How do the pipes sound?
    I would lose the whitewalls, put 17inch wires with brake drums that fit in them, with Bias ply 500s up front, 650s down back. A hood? Yep, move the radiator back.
    If it rides down the left lane without sashayin' or hoppin' I'd leave the suspension alone.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's perfect, I'd leave it like it is.

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Put hubcap on front wheels makes the back look deeper ,Lose the exhaust system and run the lake pipes with baffles and get rid of the angle iron ,Signed another critic.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Everyone has hit it pretty hard, but here is another vote for putting the front suspension where it should be and doing a dropped axle with the '28 - '34 spring and perches. It does look in the profile photos though that whoever put that front end in did slightly move the front crossmember forward a bit to compensate the reduced wheelbase. That would be good with the spring over as well though, because in my opinion, a fenderless '33 - '34 looks best with the suspension just slightly stretched forward. Want an example? the Mooneyham & Sharp 554 coupe, or Bill Vinthers orange '34. Then loose the the fishtails and white walls and... done!

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The interior is beautiful! also if the paint is the OG one i'd keep it.
    Still i vote for keepin the "bird shoter" exhaust, or maybe just slant cut the fish tails.
    Are they both sides or just the driver's? How do they sound?
    If it was mine i'd look for a Merc flathead (so that the striping makes sense again), fix the front end and call it done.
    Im all for finished cars but sometimes patina is beautiful, mostly when its real!

25. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

26. BUDDY HOLLY

BUDDY HOLLY

paint the wheels and grill black and loose the pipes

27. Huckster59

Huckster59

looks good ,its your car do what you want with it.

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Get rid of the whitewalls (and red wheels). Change axle to spring on top. Raise the back a bit. Add hood top. Make the exhaust go away (right away:)). Add gas. Drive.

Frank

29. It was pulled from the ladies garage about 5 years ago if i remember correctly. The guy in beverly Hills had someone in the west coast customs do the work on it, and they stuck a west coast customs plaque on the firewall. It really was a treasure because of its story, and honestly it still is.

I dont want the new owner, Lars to get discouraged because of everyones opinions flying around here, what he should and shouldnt do. The car is fucking bad ass. Its an amazing peice of history, its the expression of a kid who died in vietnam and a heirloom to his mother. Pipes or not, white walls or not, its a car with a history that you might not ever find in another car, that sort of thing just gets forgotten or covered up in resotrations. youve got it at a key point where you can still see and know what it was, and keep the character with the car. So overall, weather people want the style changed, its bad ass, its amazing, its a original hot rod, and it was very special to one family. ok im done being serious now...haha

30. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thanks SLO :) I agree :) I will not be doing anything radical to it, and I think the history is sweet.