Register now to get rid of these ads!

I found this car and thought...I'd keep it forever. That's a first.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by playin' hookie, Jul 15, 2010.

1. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

But can I get it before someone else scoops it? Five Kids, just about to head out to PEI for vacation, no extra cash right now cause it's all wrapped up......anxiety sets in that I may loose the car I've just buildt in my mind and made memories for the next 20 years. All these thoughts and dreams created so deeply in a 48 hour period.

[​IMG]

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me 25 years to get my bike on the road. 4 kids , Wife going to collage [which is a good thing her income pays bills now ] it was worth it. It may take time to get the car the way you want just remember Family first and everything else will fall in place.

3. budd

budd

PEI is flat and covered in red clay, and Ann has moved away, skip it and buy the car.

4. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

LOL, Anne grew up and is hot and you want her so don't deny it.

So last Friday I see an ad on Kijiji and it looks kida rough but hey its a coupe and priced right, I'm low on cash but think what the hell.
    So I cruise on Sat afternoon about an hour North of me, almost in Northbay in fact to have a look. I'm hot for her. Engine is junk, interior is trashed but she is complete. Plated last in 66 and stuck in a barn in owensound since then until a year ago (the usual story right?) Except the current owner shows me the plates dated '66 and then shows me the title, matches the plate, owner in Owen sound. He took it in on trade and doesn't need or want it. I leave empty handed cause he wasn't open to a trade for the Sportster chopper project I have on the go. My only shot to get her but I tried.
    My long lonely ride home, I thought and thought. Buildt that sweet coupe, so rare, never seen one up close. Different and cool. Crap I hate being short cash but what can you do eh?

5. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

[​IMG]

So I decide to roll the dice. I love my sportster but I HAVE to get this thing before someone else scoops her up. and that won't take long for sure.
    I list my bike on the same kijiji but hit toronto site(must exposure) at 10:30 Saturday night. 12 minutes later my blackberry starts buzzing, email, email email. A couple trade offers the usual but one conversation is going good. I go to bed still dreaming.
    at 9:30 Sunday the BB goes off again. By 11 she's sold and by 12:30 I have a grand deposit by western union in my hand. story over? Nope.
    Remeber the first part about the kids? Yeah, there in the van waiting to go to the beach like I promised them. Off to the beach we go. FATE FATE, please hang in there for me. I make a call up north to my new friend "I want her, I'll see you in a few hrs with the deposit" Naah he says just come up during the week its fine I'll hold it for you is the response......."nope, I insist on giving you some cash today. see you soon".
    get swimming kids, clocks a ticking.

6. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

So I make it back up, kids are still dripping (suck it up girls we have a quick road-trip) the second youngest says"trial run for PEI?" oh yea, exactly girls.

I get there and the for sale sign is gone and the owner is in the drive-way smiling. oh boy.

A few minutes later we shake hands and I hand over the cash deposit and make arrangements to see each other in a couple days for the rest and the pick-up. Just a handshake, cash, no receipt, no ownership in my hand. Just like men used to do it. I leave knowing she is now mine, the only piece of trim I need is a small moulding on the cowl for one side, good luck finding that I think. Alot of work ahead but man is she cool.
    Monday night on ebay...buy it now $10 bucks the one missing trim peice.
    Wow.

7. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

A late night after a long work day brings her home. Cash exchanges hands, title in my hand, and one last parting handshake. She's mine.
    Let the fun begin.

1940 Nash Coupe

[​IMG]

8. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

exciting!!!!!!!!!!

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That's cool! I like the fact that the grill is mostly there. What are your plans for it?

10. Hey, it's gotta number on the door like another Nash on here.

Good story.

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great looking car.It screams tail dragger

12. congrats and great naration.

13. You Kanadians are loco.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cool story. i know the feeling of scrambling to make something happen-get rid of this NOW before the new thing gets away!

two words: TAIL DRAGGER.

period. nice score man.

15. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Great story and car

16. I sold one like that to a Hamb'er last summer who was making a race car out of it, and we still have a 4dr parts car here, too, if you need any other bits for it or want spares.

17. skoh73

skoh73

Cool story, nice score!

18. family first. nothing is forever except death and taxes.

19. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats! Love the lead-up story too.

20. 666Irish

666Irish

I love stories like this.

Buyer falls in love, seller sees that and understands it. Happy ending.

I just wish stories like this weren't so rare these days.

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good story. glad it worked out. can't wait to see some progress.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

PLEASE don't ruin that car by doing that.:(

23. Zerk

Zerk

24. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

You sold your motorcycle to buy a.. a...car? What were you.. Oh, sorry , wrong board.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great story and a great ending. You got me going, I was gonna be so disappointed if you didn't get it,

26. Tin Can

Tin Can

Great story, glad you got the car. So now what are you envisioning for it?

27. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

Thanks guys, I kept waiting for shit to fall apart the whole way but when I found that missing trim peice so fast I started to feel that it was meant to be.

Plans? Not decided yet. I've seen a few cool customs, tail draggers even a few gassersand I'm tempted but I really think I'm gonna keep it simple.

Mid 50's, just outta highschool with my first real gas station job, soup her up and run her. Maybe a little off the front posts, bacon whack?? hmmm.

I have to look at her a bunch more, see what she tells me she wants. Of course, HAMB brothers always offer insperation....HINT HINT.

No numbers on the door for me, I've seen that 41 that was done here. it's got a cool style going but not what I'm seeing for mine.

28. Cool Story and very cool car, You can make a very nice custom with that coupe.Congatulations....... The story reminded me of a scene from back to the future... " My destiny has brought me to you".

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Good God man, I was at the edge of my seat.
    The coolest part of the story was doing biz between honorable men.
    A hand shake.
    That car is home now. She's gonna love what ever you do.