Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical i found a 454. ugh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, typically.....HD parking brake. Also, should have the 2.75 first gear ratio planetary set vs the std 2.48 T-400 first gear.

Ray

chryslerfan55, badvolvo and Jim Lato like this.
  2. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

gotcha gotcha, im guessing you are correct with the low compression. i wouldnt mind finding a 671 to slap on her always wanted one. since i just got this thing, pardon me for not knowing what im gonna do with it yet, so far collectively we are all building it right now lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Anything older that you get is a work in progress. Take your time this isn't a race, and even if it was we are still bench racing. I think you found yourself a good starting place. ;)

chryslerfan55 and Jim Lato like this.
  4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

hey i appreciate it man, ya i learned a while ago slow and steady wins the race when it comes to bench time. do it right the first time. i love building up stuff keeps me out of trouble.... kinda

5. catdad49

catdad49

RV pic looks like the Road Kill guys got at it! Have fun, free is Good (most of the time).

Jim Lato likes this.
  6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

That’s where I got the idea!! Haha. It worked out great. Only thing is, rolling around a cherry picker on the dirt lol I’ll have to find some plywood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

First Principle......“There is no such thing as a free lunch” :D

‘Free” in this case would be the engine/trans pulled from the RV by the owner and delivered to the OP’s home or shop at no charge. This isn’t a bad deal, but requires a fair amount of sweat equity.

Ray

8. catdad49

catdad49

Agreed Ray, just built a garden tool holder for one corner of the garage using 'free' wood. Lots of sweat equity though. It's all relative!

Jim Lato likes this.
  9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Semi free, I did sweat a lot Saturday when it was 97 and farting around with it lol. And no beers

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The difference between a SBC and a BBC is a lot like the difference between beer and whiskey. Beer, you know where you are at. Whiskey, sneaks up on you.

A small block will pull until it plateaus. The valves will float and she may pop but you definitely can feel the peak and there ain't no more.

A big block pulls until it breaks.

11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

This is great. And I dig the booze reference so I can understand hahaha. I think we should make t shirts with this on it

chryslerfan55 and F-ONE like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I ain't broke one yet.

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Keep it up guys. I am really enjoying and learning from this thread. Your years of experience with these are priceless.

Jim Lato likes this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There is something special about the Mystery Motor.
    My brother had a 70 or 71 402 built to 411. It had some pepper in it.
    That dang thing had enough ass to light them up with 256 gears and a Muncie..... like a big S in the road. On the top end.... Da....ummm!

454s you are good. 427s are the ones you have to really check out. The tall deck truck 427 is a different critter than the car 427.

John Starr and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread so far. Learning about the rat. I’m pretty pumped to dive into this thing. Anyone got any cheap doner parts laying around ??

16. badvolvo

badvolvo

If you have to go too far, consider stroking to a 496, makes great torque, you won't need to see 6500. Rotating assembly costs are about the same as a 454. I was going to do the 496 on mine, got carried away, ended up with a 10.2 dart block and 632". It won't be running till spring, because I am slow these days. 632 going into avatar

swade41 and Tim like this.
  17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Holy balls. Well maybe I can go that route. Might as well

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

My 3700 lb. 70 Chevelle ran high 10's in NHRA Super Street and bracket's with a .060 over 454 12.5 to1 trw pistons ,stock rods with ARP bolts . .600 lift hydraulic flat tappet cam from Lunati. Home ported oval port heads single plane intake and Holley hp 950 carb. I had $2500 .00 in it . The block, crank and rods come out of a boat. The heads were 049 castings with a good valve job and isky springs.
    I put over 500 documented passes on that motor before it pulled a rod journal out of the cast crank.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just yesterday a friend told me he is getting a factory stock 8.1L (496) with certified very low miles and complete. Would likely be willing to sell it within the budget you have mentioned in earlier post. If interested, I can connect you.

Ray

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Now that’s impressive. Your worked her good for some time. This is exactly what I would like to do

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I may be! Let me know what comes of it. How far are you? Are you from wisco?

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

West Central, IL....along the Mississippi....he lives about 85 miles south of me.

Ray

Jim Lato likes this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

I always grin When I hear wow it's a 4 bolt. I know it's a Ford but Bob Glidden was ask about what block he ran. He said 4 bolt 351c blocks are to hard to find so I mostly run 2 bolt stuff and his motor made some hp.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Kan Kustom, loudbang, egads and 2 others like this.
  24. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I’m hoping I can say those exact words and grin then sip on my beer lol

Deuces likes this.
  25. I ran a '66 big block in a Nova bomber car, 325 HP from the factory but I scored some better 454 heads for it and slipped an L88 solid cam into it. It would run 6300 revs at Islip, 6500 at Riverhead and was quite strong for the almost zero bucks I had in it.

John Starr and Deuces like this.
  26. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Damn. Well if I can get away with a killer build for next to nothing I’d be pretty happy. I mean I’m already on the up and up. Free nindy free

27. John Starr, Deuces and Shadow Creek like this.
  28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Deuces likes this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

I have 4 bolt blocks in both of my current big block powered rides. One started life as an LS-7 crate motor, the other appears to be a 1991 block, last of the Mark IV motors. My understanding is that they went to 4 bolts in the late 1980s on the last pickup/motorhome 454s they made, but most of them are 2 bolt.

The tall deck medium truck 366 and 427 are a different story, they were all 4 bolts with steel cranks, and small valve heads, as far as I know.

500 hp...you don't need 4 bolt mains. The main webs and caps on the 2 bolt blocks are over an inch thick, there is a lot of meat in there compared to most engines.

30. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Ya I was gonna say, I mean it would be sweet if I got lucky. But if not. Like you said there is a lot of meat holding that crank up. Once I get off work here at 3 I’m gonna head over there after I weld a caster on my cherry picker lol, and find a piece of plywood

Deuces likes this.