Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I forgot to install oil baffles in my flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeldog57, Jul 23, 2020.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

When I put my 1941 truck motor back together it ran great. Good power, idles good, etc. but I have low oil pressure at idle when warm (10lbs). Pressure goes up to 30-35 when on the gas.
    I forgot to install the oil baffles in lifter valley, is this the reason for low pressure?
    I did put a known good but used oil pump in.
    Any help or suggestions welcome, thanks Ron

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

That is not the reason for low oil pressure.

flatford39 likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I think they keep some splash from the cam and crank from hitting the underside of the intake (hot spot of the exhaust heat riser), but it sure couldn't be much.

4. TCTND

TCTND

Probably not. At idle there isn't a lot of oil being thrown around and the baffles aren't doing much. Oil pressure depends on the relationship between the volume of oil the pump produces and how well it's contained by the various escape paths in the engine (bearing clearance etc). As the speed increases the pump produces more volume but the escape routes stay the same so pressure rises. Modern engines usually have a pump large enough to maintain reasonably high pressure at idle with excess volume being diverted through the relief valve to avoid overpressure. Older engines often showed fairly low pressure at idle but 10 lbs would worry me.

5. Joe H

Joe H

Pontiac had oil warning lights on the dash as standard equipment, the sensor was set to turn on the light
    at 4 ( + or - ) 2 psi . 10's not that bad at idle as long as it comes up with rpm.

wheeldog57 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

10 lbs in an idling flathead is fine as long as it comes up with the RPM. I think I read here somewhere that 10 lbs per thousand RPM is what it should be, so 3000 RPM should be 30 lbs.

7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57