Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I finally got an injected 1961 Corvette !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

j-Jock,
    It does have another crack and it is not a corvette block and imho is not worth fixing. BUT the information you sent is still much appreciated and something I’ll keep.
    Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"Pretty fancy looking but with only a picture of the engine that’s more of a tease! Lol. Do you have any other pictures of the whole car? Looks good"
    Your thread, hate to pollute it!
    DSCF1263.JPG DSCF1264.JPG DSCF1265.JPG DSCF1266.JPG DSCF1267.JPG DSCF1268.JPG DSCF1271.JPG DSCF1272.JPG DSCF1275.JPG DSCF1277.JPG DSCF1281.JPG DSCF1284.JPG
    Sick of it yet?

3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Vetterod, are you talking about these intake ports??[​IMG]

4. vetrod62

vetrod62

Yes, Assuming those are the heads your son was removing in the picture.

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. vetrod62

vetrod62

I was looking to see the inside of the intakes ports, the inside of the exhaust ports and and the combustion chambers.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Hey Scott, I was putting the shifter in my wife's 60 today and took a couple of pics of the trans crossmember. It is stock. Thought it might help:) IMG_3467.JPG IMG_3468.JPG

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I totally missed these! And definitely not sick of them! Your car is very much worthy to be posted on the hotrod corvette thread if you haven’t already! Thanks

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Engine building 101! Super proud of this guy! Does pretty good for 13 yrs old! IMG_3109.JPG

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Having a garage makes me feel like an adult! Lol
    Having a garage that I can actually work on a car in makes me feel almost organized! IMG_3369.JPG

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

With a little bit of heat I got the steering connecting rod off the pitman arm and third arm thingy. IMG_3370.JPG
    I remember in my younger days I just rounded crap off! The things you learn from older mentors like patience and a little heat!

Trying to tighten up the steering system without rebuilding the steering box!

13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Alright guys, help me out! What magical tool do you use to adjust the adjuster screw on the steering box? There is no room for even a short flat head screw driver?? IMG_3372.JPG

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Offset screwdriver, don't tighten that too tight, that is how some sectors get ruined. I rebuilt mine last winter, really isn't a bad job if you end up doing it. Mine really drives a lot better after rebuilding it....
    9DD16B3F-D708-4220-922E-D55A3EA6DCA2.jpeg

15. noboD

noboD

My goodness that frame is in nice shape, lots of what looks like factory paint?

16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thank you but I think someone might have painted it sometime in the past. The brake lines and blocks are all black too.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Moriarity, I tightened it until the slack was gone on the pitman arm. Is that okay or is that too tight? I honestly don’t think it has ever been adjusted because there was plenty of thread on the set screw.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There is a spec in inch pounds as far as how much force it takes to go past the “high spot”. It is measured at the steering wheel nut with the steering linkage disconnected. But if it doesn’t feel like it binds when you go past center maybe it is ok the way you have it

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

It is binding at the “hight spot.” I’ll back off a bit.

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Much better! I definitely had it too tight! I got the “slop” out and plus now it is smooth!
    Got love the H.A.M.B.! Thanks Moriarity!

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scott, Moriarty is correct on being cautious on tightening the adjustment. As you probably know, GM sent a directive to dealers in the 60s to switch from gear lube to grease (I use chassis grease) in the box. Mark is right that the rebuild is not too bad. Getting the box out and feeding it back in may be the worse part of the job. To grease the box, I remove one of the bottom bolts and use a heat gun with the top fill open and as it gets warm the gear lube leaks out and then I shoot in chassis grease with little zerk fitting I made up (although you can use a grease needle) and when the grease runs out the bottom bolt hole and the top you should be good to go. You can ruin the sector if you go too tight. I would back it off a hair and drive it a bit and then inch up on the adjustment. Once they are done correctly they steer fine. I kind of wonder about the guys that insist these cars need power steering. I even use a small steering wheel and both of mine track great going down the road with very little slop in the steering.

catdad49, enloe, 6-bangertim and 5 others like this.
  22. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Jim, thank you for the tip! I was wondering If I could use the bottom bolt as a “drain plug.” That will definitely help!
    Yes, I was aware of the grease “up grade” but it never hurts to post!
    And
    I would not necessarily rule out a maybe electric pwr steering conversion down the road but it would be more for using the quick steering adapter and still being able to turn easy in parking lots. But until then (if it even happens) I’m very comfortable with the factory steering. I just want it as good as new or as close as I can afford for now.

What size steering wheel do you have on your car?

Thanks
    Scott

23. I too have thought about electric power steering for the 57, if you search you can find which parts to use from the salvage yard for a couple hundred bucks instead of $1500 or so out of a catalog. I’ll send you a link sometime soon.
    The 57 steers fine but I (probably) have the energy to do the work now, for later when i may need it. Thats why i added P/S to my 56 belair, it was a LOT easier to do it now than later!:rolleyes:

catdad49, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Vette-12-13 006.jpg Scott I have a 15" Chuck Pelton steering wheel. They look stock but of course are only 15" and are leather wrapped. Chuck is local but may still be making them. I think they are the best looking steering wheel for early Vettes but we all have our own opinions.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Yes, definitely send me link when you get a chance. No hurry though.
    Thanks from one Scott to another. Lol

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Jim that looks great! When more corvette funds come in I think I might have to go that way. There just isn’t enough room for me and the stock wheel.
    Plus after seeing Scotty T’s 56 with the corvette wheel it might end up in my 57.

catdad49, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Again with a little heat, a whole lotta parts washing and some bead blasting I got the steering connecting rod assembly ready for paint and assembly.
    IMG_3408.JPG
    Question?How would I know if this is worn out or not? The cups on either end look okay to me but this is new territory for me.

loudbang likes this.
  28. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scott, the parts looks nice and clean for sure. The drag link cups I thought had a hard surface on them but would have to go thru some parts to see if I had any extras to know if they had a hard chrome or whatever. Not sure if your hard surface is on your anymore-picture may be deceiving. I know that several places offer rebuild kits for the drag link and I used one of the kits a number of years ago. The two balled pieces that fir into the cups need to be inspected to see if there is any wear. If the balled surfaces are worn the steering will click (ask me how I know). I had one set that had one of the balled surfaces severally grooved years ago and I found another set at a swap meet and then ordered the rebuild kit. If the balled surfaces are not scuffed or grooved excessively you probably are OK. Even if your cups do not have a hard surface if you keep them with a good bit of grease you should probably be OK as well. Put them together on the car and then grease them up and tighten the ends just so they are snug (you can adjust them back and forth with a stubby screwdriver and feel when they are just right) and then put in the cotter keys.

29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Great, thank you Jim. That helps.
    Question, would the hard surface on the cups be like a hardened chrome or something else?
    Here are the cups up close. Would it helped if I polished the cup surface or no? IMG_3448.JPG IMG_3449.JPG

bchctybob likes this.
  30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scott, I will look thru my stuff and see if I have any extra cups and take a look at them. I just put together a drag link set when I sold my latest project so not sure if I have any others lying around. I would think they would be like a hard chrome but that is a guess. Without hard chrome you would have to be a bit liberal with grease and keep an eye on them possibly. You may be able to find one on ebay. A 49-53 Chevy has a similar drag link but the cups are the same.