Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I finally get to change my signature: Grant Rebel SST funny car!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Don Moyer, Jul 1, 2013.

1. This might help.

http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1295279071

[​IMG]

1968 Grant Rebel SST Hayden Proffitt Funny Car X-Ray American Motors 1968 Rebel SST Funny Car by Grant Industries was a huge draw in the 1960s, driven by legendary Hayden Proffitt. This wheelstanding monster was rewriting record books across the US. This is a odd cutaway 6 x10 photo of the Grant Rebel SST Funny Car showing engine, rollbar, tube frame, headers, even driver.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Brad, that is a great idea...however, I don't think it will fit in the trailer with the Rebel Reaper!!! I may do this depending on how far I get on the car over the winter...but it maybe only 1-2 meets.

3. Wanda, I am not sure. It is possible, depending on some things happening here with the family...since I won't be at the Jalopy Showdown Drags, I may be able to fit this event in as a replacement!

Museum tour for you any time!

4. Yep!

5. Tim, not sure but I believe it had a Logghe chassis.

6. Yes! I talked to Les a long time ago when I first purchased the motor, most of my questions were toward that and he didn't know much about the motors. I will have to try to get in contact with Mr. Shockley! Would love to get in contact with both Frank Huzar and Dave Jeffers also!

Thanks!

7. Great Picture, can I get it full size in an email? Thanks!

8. D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
    from SD

I had #233 of the AMX production. 390 4 spd, great car.

9. The 1968 Grant Rebel SST Funny Car loosens up the cement at LAX. At the sound of 1200 horsepower some dealers and spectators in background can be seen holding ears, chances are people in jets several terminals and runways over were wondering what all the noise was. In the background is the Southern California Dealers Association Super Stock Javelin driven by Ron Root, while next to is is Craig Breedloves #1 record shattering AMX. Several dealers can be seen in this photo with movie cameras.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Congrats!! How about a pic of the motor

11. <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width=468 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [FONT=arial, helvetica,&#10; sans-serif]Hayden Proffitt was one the great racers of the 1960s. Proffitt won may races in Super Stock with a Chevrolet 409, then jumped to a Ford when they gave him a Comet A/FX. Proffitt built a Corvair funny car in 1966. The car began with a top, but it was cut off after the car wanted to lift at speeds. Proffitt got the car to run 8.49. In 1967, Hayden took over the Grant Industries Rebel SST funny car program. Proffitt hired famed Amos Saterlee to tune the large 439 C.I. AMC engine. The problems that original bunch had with the Rebel continued with Proffitt. The red car ran 8.11 at 180.85 before being retired at the end of 1967.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica,&#10; sans-serif]In 1968, Hayden put the AMC Rebel body on an unused Logghe Stage II chassis he had. By the end of 1968, AMC dropped out of funny car racing and Proffitt retired from racing for a few years. Hayden returned to racing with a rocket dragster driven by his son Brad. Proffitt later drove the "Hot Streak" jet dragster. (Photo provided by Mike Ditty; info provided by www.draglist.com files)[/FONT]

12. Congratulations on your acquisition. My Dad and I are AMC friendly. We own 3 AMXs and a Javelin between us. I am in the process of collecting parts for a GT clone. I've spent a fair amount of time tearing down and rebuilding most AMC models, and spent some time in Phoenix working at what the owner thought was a "restoration shop".:rolleyes: Glad to see another piece of AMC history coming around.:)

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Well clearly you need a bigger trailer!

-Brad

14. Very cool...........

15. Excellent Mike!

16. Here is a picture of the motor. Nhranut took the picture during a group tour he brought out a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

That's pretty freakin sweet Don!

18. awesome find, cant wait to follow the resto...

19. FEBCO

FEBCO

Congratulations....I know you have looked long and hard.....All our best wishes with it.....Most deserving that it came to you.....Fred

20. chevy3755

chevy3755

kudos Don...........you will do a great job i am sure..............you still charged me to much for a t shirt...............Larry

21. What a cool funny car! Good luck on the project.

22. Bumpy55

Bumpy55
    from Indiana

Was on my way to Tenn Thurs and just caught something out of the corner of my eye, To the wife I swore it was an AMC funny car body on a trailer . Nice to know I really did see it. Looks great.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. jangleguy

jangleguy

Will be following this, Don! Congrats again.

24. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Super cool . . . will be watching this one!

25. what a great piece of history

26. 65 GTO

65 GTO

Don,
    Great job.You will be busy this winter trying to finish the Hart car and now the Funny car your as bad as I'am working on three cars at one time. Good Luck

Paul from PA.

27. Still hoping to get some time in on the Hart Willys this summer!

28. [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congrats on getting the body Don. After reading your signature I didn't think your ever find one. I'm like others here and hope you post any progress you make getting it to a functioning car.

Frank