Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs i feel stoopid, i need some advice, door stuck shut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Jun 6, 2017.

1. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I guarantee if you bring it here to New Jersey, and park it on one of the side streets of Newark, within 5 minutes that door will be open.

2. I suggest that the shimming may have caused the latch to jam, or it can't open far enough to release. Have you tried pushing in from the outside, while pulling real hard on the release lever? Jacking the truck up right at the B-pillar under the frame may allow enough flex to create clearance for the latch to open.

As previous post said, loosen the hinge bolts on inside of the door. Scribe around the hinges so you can get them back to same position. Once loose the door should be able to slide forward, or worse case take bolts out completely and wiggle the door forward.

Once you get it open, contact me if you want to go with bear claw style latches. See my website link below for info and some sample install pics. It will require some fabrication to put them into your truck, but the results are worth it.

3. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Replaced the latches on my'52 with Altman bolt in latches made for tthat truck. Same thing sold by Speedway. It's a bear claw latch. Pricey but best money I ever spent. Minimal work to install, works with original handles.

4. tred

tred

thank you all for making me laugh tonight, that was MUCH needed. i will update everyone when i find out what happened, until then keep the jokes coming! i love the HAMB!

5. Can you get a flat pry bar between the back of the door and the door jam and force it forward and then try to open it. This might compensate for the shims. For the record I have (2) 1947 doors if you need anything for parts or to be looked at.

6. Pgaines

Pgaines

Oh Tred thank you for the entertainment. I was sitting in a restaurant eating breakfast laughing my ass off....not at you but with you. I have had similar things happen. But seriously go buy a bucket load of car parts stickers cover the front of the truck and start climbing in an out of the window. Chicks dig NASCAR drivers. Good luck brother.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. 1954 door jambs and strikers
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and pat59 like this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Nuclear option.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cut it two through the crack???

9. If those are the same hinges???
    Shimming them would be of no use for a positive catch. Slotting holes maybe but not shimming.

There is no way to get a bar or grinder in with out some serious re work and re forming of the interior pinch weld. The door jamb is an L shaped lap joint both inside and out.

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Nuclear option 2......
    If all else fails sacrifice the door.
    Doors for these trucks are not too hard to find.

Some said before to drill a hole through the outside of the door and work the button. I would try this with a lot of breaker, lube or WD on the mechanism. The spray straw should be able to reach it. I would use a big screw driver or punch to work that button from the outside, shaking the door as the button is worked.
    Wait a minute.......Are these 1947-51 door latches???
    If so they TWIST not push from the outside.

Sucks.....but if all else fails I would start piecing out that door from the inside to get better access to the mechanism. By opening it up some you may have enough room to work it. Maybe if you cut a bigger access panel it can be repaired later.
    No luck......start cutting out that mechanism as you go.....eventually it will open or be cut away.

This is after everything else is tried. In my opinion it is better to sacrifice the door (cheapest part) rather than damage the cab. Be careful about wedges and prying. Like I said, damage the door not the cab.

I hope it does not come to this.

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

The song from Jeopardy is playing LOUDLY!! I hate that song..

12. Muttley

Muttley

Call this guy, he knows how to get things done........................

[​IMG]

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

So is the door open yet?

14. inquiring minds want to know. :)

15. ...well, you don't have to worry bout the door flying open when you drive it,...I still like that truck.

16. Six weeks and six pages----Over a stuck door. Utterly amazing. ...

swade41 and Ford52PU like this.
  17. dartracer

dartracer

6 weeks in, that door would be cut off. Time to find a new door.

Ford52PU likes this.
  18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

STILL................................................

Ford52PU likes this.
  19. uncledon529@bellsouth.net

[email protected]
    from florida

the lock knob on my Hudson was up for lock, fooled us for a while.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Muttley

Muttley

21. I can't explain how irrationally angry this thread makes me... Every time I check, nope, still not open.

rjones35 likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Just speak clearly, never obnoxiously. Doors will open..." -Aunt Birdie

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

OK, I THINK THIS LIKE ANN LANDERS OR DEAR ABBY Or Penthouse FORUMS When the college kids would see who could send in the most outlandish story................................

26. rjones35

rjones35

Maybe he pulled real hard on it and the whole thing popped off and knocked him against the wall, with the shelf that had the bowling balls on it, and then......

27. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remove front seat, cut into the inner panel to see what can actually be done. A sawzall and a small cut off death wheel in that area. Maybe even the interior panel behind the seat as it wraps around where the jamb is and buzz the screws off, better than cutting up the outside of the door.

28. He was inside when he posted. Nuttin but a pile of bones now.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  29. Coachgault

Coachgault

Try this....takes two people ....first be absolutely sure the latch is not locked...make sure the latch is in release position (one person) second person lay on seat and kick the door from inside...if the striker is slightly misaligned the violent movement will nudge the striker enough to allow door to open... Good luck!

30. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal