Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs i feel stoopid, i need some advice, door stuck shut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Jun 6, 2017.

1. as posted above i was going to suggest having someone push in on it as you work the latch. i have had that problem before and it cured it. i think the latch gets caught in between closed and released and binds up.

squirrel and gimpyshotrods like this.
  2. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

You might try jacking up one corner of the truck. As the chassis flexes you might get the door to open. If it doesn't work on the first try then do a different corner. Try all four corners. Have some one else do the jacking as you pull and push on the door as the truck is being jacked. Jack the truck with the jack placed under the frame to achieve the most twisting/flexing motion. Use a jack that has enough height to really get the corner off the ground to the point that the corner on the other side starts to lift as well.

Odie398, indyjps and 1964countrysedan like this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Totally agree, someone pushing on the outside of the door near the latch assembly as you work the mechanism.
    They may have to vary the pressure as you are working the latch mechanism, but that should release it.
    As a side note about outside door handles, in some states it is illegal to remove the outside door handle.
    If there were an emergency situation, rescuers would not be able to save your life!
    KK

4. Slopok

Slopok

What no car thieves where you live??? They'll get it open!;)

5. Ding,Ding,Ding ~ we have a winner. HRP

Ford52PU and Blue One like this.
  6. That's peculiar...I didn't see where he asked for anyone's opinion on shaved door handles? Glad it's not chopped too!

7. That latch don't have a lock does it?

8. squirrel

squirrel

The lock on that latch is the same thing that opens the door from the inside. Pull it one way, it opens. Push it the other way, it locks. The lock for the outside original push button is built into the handle, it is not part of the latch assembly.

Studius likes this.
  9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. squirrel

squirrel

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

BFH & crowbar - if you have a small floor or bottle try putting on running board under door and very gently jack up - sounds like shims applying extra pressure - get a straight clothes hanger down to latch thru glass opening to pull on latch?

junk yard kid likes this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

Maybe move the inside door handle the opposite direction ... Sounds dumb but I have done dumb things before. If one direction opens and other locks... Ya never know!

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As has been mentioned, I would have someone on the outside push inward near the latch, while trying
    On a 1952 GM AD pickup, there is only a lock cylinder on the curb (passenger) side, I think. Or maybe that is 1947-51. I forget.

The driver's door is latched when you push the inside handle forward from its at-rest position. Then you are supposed to get out the curb side, for safety.

HerecometheJudge1954 and pat59 like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

The latch assemblies don't really have anything to do with the outside lock, which is in the handle. (in the pushbutton, actually). You can swap the handle with the lock from the pass side to the driver side, if you want. Not sure about AD trucks, but TF deluxe trucks had a key lock on both sides. Regular cheap trucks did not.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I FEEL STOOPID, I NEED SOME ADVICE, DOOR STUCK SHUT
    Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Today at 6:29 AM.

You misspelled "stupid".:D

You'll just have to enter/exit the truck curbside, like they do in old movies.

Seriously, maybe you can get a nozzle straw in the jamb and hit it with some PB Blaster. Follow that with a few bursts of an air ratchet or rivet gun fitted with a flat mushroom tip on the inside of the door. The vibration along with the solvent may help unsieze the latch.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and '49 Ford Coupe like this.
  16. Anytime there's a door without handles that malfunctions you're gonna have that. Every single time.

Doing away with the handles is supposed to look cool, and it does until something stoopid happens and you can't get in your cool looking handless doors.

Sloppy engineering isn't cool, it isn't stoopid, it's designed to give you troubles, it's supposed to. Getting exactly what you asked for is cool. Just ask wisely

17. Ok.

18. Where, oh where is tred? Could he be locked in his truck? Haven't heard anything from him since 9:55 this morning. .....

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I remember, this pivot (shown on the passenger side) just goes straight back to unlatch.
    upload_2017-6-6_16-51-6.png
    Is it moving, or stuck?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hate to burst your bubble but I had the same thing happen on my 66 Suburban (project).
    Glad someone finally had the courage to ask as I felt as you, it just can't be that hard, right.
    So I'll be watching.

21. cool lookin truck, hope you get the door to work..
    ...how about some more info on it, driveline, etc.thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  22. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hope Tred has somebody to check on him if he's locked in!

23. tred

tred

please remember, i bought the truck like this. it has history and does look kinda cool. i am not asking for trouble, but like my first marriage, finding plenty of it.
    i will figure this out with the help of everyone here, and i'll keep everyone updated as to what i find.
    totally unrelated, can anyone post pictures of a '52 chevy truck with no doors, kinda like the jeep wrangler guys do it?

F-ONE likes this.
  24. After you get the door open, get a long cable that you can run to somewhere under the hood from the door latch assembly, so you have the ability to manually open one door, pick a side, WHEN your battery is dead.
    If you have electric windows too, you may need to provide yourself with more OOOOHHHH SHITTTTTT protection and prevention.

upspirate likes this.
  25. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Not a Chevy Man, but can you get to the Post Mount in the back of the Cab Jam?

26. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Chevy/GMC truck latches from 1947 through 1959 were mainly designed to kill children. For years we did the drivers side door lock conversion (the locks only came on the passenger side) but now we won't let one out the door without Altman or some other bear claw latch. I dug back through some pictures of the lock conversion and maybe one will show you what has to be done. In the first picture the handle is down and the pawl is raised out of the notches which lets the latch rotate and the door open. In the second picture the pawl is down in the notches (notice the crappy fit) and the latch can't rotate so door is held shut--LOL. You may have to make a hole to pry the pawl out of the notches and rotate the latch but fortunately the mechanism is to the inside of the door. Explore all other suggestions before you start cutting.

door lock 004.jpg door lock 007.jpg

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t feel too bad. When I was 16, I got the gas pump nozzle stuck in my gas tank filler neck. It was the first time I ever got gas for the car in my avatar. It took two drunks and 15 minutes later for them to free it.

cactus1 and rjones35 like this.
  28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

First thing to do is get some blocks of wood, set on ground. use long 2x4 to GENTLY ,GENTLY pry up on door.if door has sagged any at all this may help.my passenger side used to get hung about half way open/latched. i used a screw driver though the already there hole to open door. but i cant remember what i did.. sorry. but try the prying up on door first

29. squirrel

squirrel

interesting, what year is that latch? The 55-59 latches don't have a pawl....I didn't see one in the pics of the reproduction 52-55 latches, either.

I never had problems with doors opening on 55-59 trucks. I guess I got lucky.