Register now to get rid of these ads!

I did a bad bad thing.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zeke Fishburn, Sep 16, 2009.

1. I ordered one of these. I know, I know, it's not "traditional" and I should've done 1.75" duals and Smitty's or some sort of glasspacks.

This is the first alleged performance part I've bought since my catastrophic bike accident on July 31st, 2005 so this is a threshold moment for me.

Interested to see how it sounds on a stock 235 with my current 2" exhaust and the quiet muffler replaced with this.

Had a Borla muffler similar to this on a 77 280Z back in the early nineties and like the sound. Similar design so we'll see if I like it as much.

This is the car its going on.

Attached Files:

2. The picture is fuzzy. The car looks worse in person. Shes is twenty footer with plenty of filler and a little bit of rust.

3. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey, I'm OK with it - looks good to me. Anything inline works....

4. hellboundfive-O

hellboundfive-O
    from AZ

Yea, I agree. It's not like you put a Lexus motor in it. Plus, you gotta do what you can to make that inline a little more "throaty."

5. One thing leads to another. I wounder if there is a ten step program for guys addicted to buying hot rod parts? Welcome back to the hobby!

6. 6inarow

6inarow

How will little Max like the sound? Thats what matters.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have no idea how one would sound on a 235 but I like them in general for drivers. They aren't real loud for normal driving. They don't drone at highway speeds but they sound nice when you get on it.

8. Its really a way to get me fired up about the old girl again. I am a curator more than anything else since she has been in my family since new.
    Plus, the weather is getting cooler down here in Houston so driving her will be nice again, and sound better too.

Max is ready for me to put seatbelts in the car so his baby seat will fit.

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Looks like a Magnaflow stainless muffler..it'll have a quiet tone to it..not very loud. I install them everyday.

10. It is a Magnaflow. That's the sound I'm hoping for. Thanks.

11. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

Traditional? Hell man, it's a muffler. Whatever sounds good.

Personally, I think those Magnaflows sound damn better than a Flowbastard any day of the week.

12. I know where you could get a good 394 worth the money. [No not the one I'm getting.] then you could snag another one of those mufflers and no one could ditz you for it not being a glass pack. :D

Even if the car is a 20 footer its still a 2 door post car. It has possibilities.

I'd say welcome back to the hobby but I don't think anyone ever really leaves. :cool:

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Might put a 'Y' with cap in there and choose loud when you felt like it. Everybody wants a ride like that. :D

14. I ordered stainless u clamps to install it. The mild steel ones are rusty and will likely snap when I remove them.

The muffler shop that installed the exhaust slip fit and clamped everything so, with any luck, I'll be able to do this myself.

Loudmasters (flows) were cool when I was 25 and had a Mustang GT but they're not for me now.

Would be nice to stick a 394 in her...maybe with this little mod I've taken my first step back into a much larger world.

Hmmmmmmm......

15. mtrhead

mtrhead

the muffler is fine.. as long as you dont put one of those chrome soup can tips on.....:eek::D

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old Inglish Teecher taut mee that too negativz mayk a positiv, sow a bad bad thing wood akchooally bee a gud thing. Shee taut spelling two!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Evilyn Woodhead sped ridden corse? :D

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Here are some actual tin cans on a car:eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

• 132.jpg
      132.jpg
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
  19. The sweetest 6 cylinders' I have every heard were with split exhaust manifold and smittys , damn! that is a great sound, and you can always throw the smittys on a wood fire pit to burn out the insulation,repaint the muflers , reinstall,,,, too cool,,,,have fun

20. Note jauntily placed tailpipe mimicking factory bend. No fart pipe/soup can tile pipes here.

However, I am considering a real soup can for the carb, a la Frankie's example.

Photo on left after repro vintage plate installed and taken with old crackberry phone. Photo on right with old plate taken with Sony digital camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  21. mtrhead

mtrhead

looks good...

22. Thanks. Won't ship for a few more days. Then I've got to post video of the before and after.