Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I chopped my fordor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixgun, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

I can build the buckets no problem, I am just worried about the hand making process, I like the idea of making my own, but I would hate to make two totally bitchin tail lights and then find that they are totally different. I guess I am just feeling some trepidation when it comes to making them just right.

As for the tail lights on that merc, bob, those are super sweet; but since I am hoping to go bumperless on the back I would need to go longer. Does that manufacturer make a longer version? It seems to me that the frenched opening I am planning for the caddy lights is similar to what they did on the merc though. I need to carefully weigh my options. I have a very clear picture in my mind as to what I want this to look like when I am done, and it DEFINITELY does not include the late nineties street rod look.

2. Sixgun... your doing so good with a four door chop that you shouldnt even second guess your abilities. Definitely make a set. you'll be glad you did later cause they will be more like what you want.

3. redo32

redo32

Who's hijacking the thread..........you posted 3 times in 9 minuets. Where's 307? I've been through Wyoming a couple of times.

4. What whole state is 307.

5. redo32

redo32

Hi Stutz, I'm Red, with a gray beard. Now that we know each other we can hijack this thread. If sixgun gets mad I'll buy him lunch at the swap meet next month. It must be the "oldtimers", I can't figure this 307 thing out. It's not the 307th state admitted to the union, even my feeble mind knows that we have 49...ah 50. There's not a Hwy 307 that I can find on the map. I never been there in the winter but it doesn't get down to -307, does it? The 307th unit of the National Guard? I've ridden thru Cody, Worland, Riverton, Thermopolis, Lusk, Kemmerer and all the big cities(?). I traded a model A roadster body for a worse '32 cabriolet to a one armed pinstriper from the east side of West Cheyenne, & I have a good buddy that taught at Wyo Tech& I still don't know what 307 is.

6. RichG

RichG

redo32...it's the area code!

sixgun, try making your own lenses that will utilize the caddy buckets, you'll be able to come up with something cool I'm sure. Shaping the plastic is no big deal, just have a plan and work it!

By the way, your car is reet:D

7. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

something else to consider..

http://www.rassiesauto.co.za/parts/chrysler_383_taillights.JPG

m not really sure how big these actually are

I dont really like them but they fit your dscription..kinda idk lol. Im looking for a particular tailight atm and stumbled ont hese and remembered reading this thread earlier so i thought i'd drop by lol.

Chop looks good btw

8. redo32

redo32

Thanks electrodude, around here they have been adding area codes so fast they don't even assign them to any geographical area. and now back to the taillights

9. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

Yes Tail lights. I have a lot of whacking, welding grinding and otherwise metal mayhem to take care of before I get into actually doing taillights so for now just trust in your old buddy sixgun, and I promise I wont let you down hambers.

10. nice build.

What about taillights in the bumpers or guards? Always a nice touch.

11. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

going naked in the back. I am gonna go with a rolled tail pan instead

12. Brickster

Brickster

since I all ready beat you up about the cad taillights I won't even start about my opinions on roll pans and shoeboxes.

BTW 307 is the area code

13. Yep, Its also my registered trademark for my clothing company.

I think the roll pan can look cool if it isnt so minitruck is. Which is gunna be hard to accomplish. Im going to contemplate that idea. very very interesting my friend, you have your work cut out for you sixgun.

14. I don't see those taillights on slddnmatt's Merc as being "modern". He hand made them. They are a looooong ways from those Caddy lights. I understand now he was planning on using some of the parts,not the whole Mini-truck looking setup.

15. inkmunky

inkmunky

Whew this has gone awry... sixgun i've been looking at this build since you first posted. Keep it up it looks good. PM me if you need any help or info on making lenses, i did a lot of forming and molding in college and can help walk you through the design and build process. It's not nearly as difficult as it may seem.

16. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

That would be very helpful. Is there any way of heating them and forming them over a buck or is it all vacuum or pressure forming?

17. inkmunky

inkmunky

I'll send a pm theres a lot! haha

18. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

Ha ha ha ha. I've got some sweet pictures to post tomorrow, but I don't want to spoil the surprise so I ain't gonna says no more.

19. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

Okay so we hacked out the other spear, and we found about a quarter inch of bondo, so here is the mess we made:

[​IMG]

It turned out alright but we have some more smashing to do.

[​IMG]

Here's the other side for comparison, Its a little cleaner, and was a hell of a lot easier.

[​IMG]

20. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

whoops, that is not the other side, Let's try this:

[​IMG]

21. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

But the real story Is this: Check it out boys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kaboom
    [​IMG]

We made the leap, We cut out the B pillar and are now pillarless on the passenger's side. No wobble or warp It worked out very well. Sorry about the blurry pictures; (it's hard to tell whats going on in that tiny camera screen.

What do you think fellas ( and ladies maybe?)

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What are you gonna latch it to??? Do it like a new Chev truck? Front door latches to the back door? Looks good with the back bumper on. Is it gonna stay a hardtop? or are you gonna put the door tops back on?

23. And the reason for this is???? What's the plan?

24. brewsir

brewsir

I think it looks cool.....for a 4 dr of course!!

25. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

that car is gonna be pretty tough when its all done. keep up the great work.

26. Brickster

Brickster

On pinkees Knotwood they used 1" thick acrylic clear that they shaped and polished. There is red diffuser laninated to the inside. They look like the entire lens is red except when viewed from the side. You could do almost any shape with a sander, DA and polishing equipment. Oh yea, rollpans look shitty. You might as well french the license plate in on an angle.

http://pinkeesrodshop.com/1951_Ford_Wagon_KNOTWOOD-s15.aspx?i=4

27. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

Actually bob the only reason I chopped out the b pillar was to give you another reason to bust my balls.

28. HAHAHA! I meant,are you gonna convert it to a 2dr? Or what?

29. Not a pan-fan either...(cover your balls)hahaha...

30. sixgun

sixgun
    from Portland

Sorry to break yous hearts but after a long talk with the old man and a clutch eBay nab I think I am gonna run a bumper and an overrider. Ye'll see on the rest. As for the b pillar chop it's gonna be molded to the back door with top and bottom van style latches. I will run door tops so it will look like just Another chopped fordor when i am done