Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I chopped it!!! Model A coupe, 5 inches off the top!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

your lucky!! mine had tar with tin pop riveted over the top it with a nice 3/8 inch layer of bondo

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

funny Von Rigg.......you are right.;):D

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

:D...:eek:

I know better;)

4. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Well said!

Bitchin CHOP, good for you on whack'in her!

Looks to me like you nailed it with 5 takin out!!!

5. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

My '28 Special Coupe looks like that.... It's a goddamn nightmare.... That one is getting built mostly stock with some upgrades. (Juice brakes, maybe OD) I haven't had the gumption to tear into that one just yet. Once the chop is done on the '30 I'll probably get started on the '28.

Thanks, yours is kickass as well!!

6. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Ok, here's where I had to stop for the day. I made a new windshield header out of 1"X2" rectangle tubing. I planned on finishing it tonight but I was starting to get a bit sore.... Oh well, tomorrow is another day! I gotta get used to pacing myself in the garage :(

The windshield hinge was in great shape and cleaned up well. The screws holding the hinge strip on are too short, but that's what I had on hand for mockup today.

Tomorrow if it's not so hot I'll weld it all up. Thanks so much for the comments so far, I really do appreciate it and you guys keep me going.

[​IMG]

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

8. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

9. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

The chop looks killer. Cant wait to see more.

10. rawkie

rawkie

looks baddass astro zombie

11. erlomd

erlomd

Awesome chop! Does it make Julian fries too?:D

12. I been waiting on this. Nice work.

13. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

That Coupe looks great chopped! They guys on base are always trying to talk me in to chopping mine, but have never gathered up the cojones to do it. Besides, I like her tall top. Either way, your girl looks bad ass!

14. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Wow! Looks great. I am debating on whether to go 3, 4, or 5 inches. It's a tough decision. You took the plunge and went for it. Congrats!

15. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks! I enjoyed the car in complete stock form, and pulled the fenders. Then decided on the chop. Pretty much doing it in stages and having a great time in between. You don't need to rush your chop, as long as you're having fun!

I agree! I debated for awhile on just how much I wanted to go and I'm glad I settled on 5 inches. It does create more work vice a 3 inch chop, but looks so much better IMO. However much you decide, make sure you plan it well and take your time. Good luck!

16. gman34

gman34

When I first saw Shooter 54's 5 inch chop it blew me away,
    Congratulations man, you've nailed it also!! blown me away. Great stuff.

17. HankAz

HankAz

Bitchin!! Cant wait to get my project started. Just gathering parts for now to many projects.

18. Just do what my buddy did and pull the paperwork they made you sign out of your file when they transfer you somewhere lol.

19. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks! Keep gathering. If I learned one thing with this sickness is pass on the expensive crap you don't NEED, and it will eventually come to you much cheaper.

That was an option, but now the service records are electronic.... They take the fun out of everything!

No updates today. It was hot and my back needed a break. Went on a run for more consumables. I hope to finish up the header tomorrow and start fitting the top.

20. TMoney

TMoney

Looks really good man!!!

21. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks!

It's all your fault! It coulda been in Spokane living the good life, now it sits topless in my driveway! (for a few more days anyway!) :D:eek:

I just can't wait to get it back together. I'm going through Model A withdraws!!

22. lurch13

lurch13

5" chop is just right. looks killer

23. Rad Rad Rad Rad freekin love it

24. jimbo121

jimbo121

Chop looks sweet man, just right. Its amazing how much bondo you find in some 'restored' cars!

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Wish you were closer, we could roll around and freak out some squares!

26. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Shot this at Billetproof.....loved it ......yours too.....nice chop!

[​IMG]

27. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My next build will be a Model A coupe, thanks to this thread a 5" chop is high on the list of "must haves"...

28. jtille

jtille

Looks good!!

29. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Heck yeah! Everywhere I go it's a rolling car show. I really appreciate talking to the older gentlemen that approach me. The younger guys, or most guys around my age here just don't get it, so they're easily scared!

Thanks! I really appreciate that! Check out shooter54's thread on his chop too. He did a 5 inch and as you can see by the pic posted above, he nailed the look as well.

Not much has been done to the car. I got the garnish and dash board blasted and the dash has a ton of holes. Hopefully all will chrome well. I have done some more work on the header but nothing noteworthy. It's been so hot here, triple digit temps is no fun to be welding. Tomorrow morning I hope to be done with the header.

Thank you all very much for the positive comments. Should be posting some new photos tomorrow.

30. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Josh, You've been busy Looks GREAT!