Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I cant get the axel out to replace the axel seal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Aug 10, 2015.

1. I think I would do the other axel while it's down.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. The old brake drum trick my dad showed me 30 years ago worked :) just be careful you don't go too hard as it's easy to bend the drum mounting flange.

3. Joe Cool .Thanks for the information. I will check it tomorrow.Thanks again.Bruuce.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  4. JoeCool was right. The vent was clogged with crud on the rear end. Cleaned it up and ran a piece of wire down to make sure it was clear. Thank JOE COOL. Bruce.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just replaced the center section in my 27 and one axle wasn't budging. I inserted two long bolts into those two holes where a socket goes through with a large washer and nut on the inside. When I tightened down the bolts they pushed against the backing plate and pushed the axle out of the housing.

I've used that one a lot of times over the years and it has always gently pushed the axle out. You have to keep shimming the backside of the bolt to give you enough contact as the axle moves out, but it works.

Don

low budget likes this.
  6. Don, good idea! Bruce.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That is a good idea, simple and evidently effective........as long as you can get the retaining ring turned so your bolts set against the differential housing (sandwiching the backing plate), so not to bend the backing plate, I assume?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, it takes a little playing around to get the bolts in a good spot and the right length to touch the flange area of the housing. In fact, once you get the bolts positioned in the right place it is best to hold the bolts from turning and instead turn the nuts on the backside of the axle flange, that way the bolts are not trying to spin out of place.

It might take a few times of removing the nut and respacing it as the axle moves outward too, one positioning rarely does it ( you run out of threads on the bolts). I usually use something like 3/8 to 1/2 inch bolts with lots of thread area or even all thread sometimes. I have even put two bolts that originally held on the bearing retaining flange back in, but not through the retaining flange. Those are simply there to keep the backing plate straight and I turn the retaining flange so the two new bolts straddle it and press against the backing plate instead.

Confusing to explain, but pretty straightforward in reality.

Don