Register now to get rid of these ads!

I cant find these f#*%$@g BOLTS- UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Apr 14, 2011.

1. My local bolt supplier laughed and said good luck.
    Spent hours on mcmaster car site.
    Google, takes me to a machine shop in Poland where I can get em by the thousands or alibabba.com

Can you guys help?
    Low head socket wont work
    Button head wont work.
    Cheese head is slotted drive
    looking for stainless 5/16 -24 x 1 or close metric size 8x25 mm. quantity 30

I've been sesrching "cheese head torks" or allen, maybe that's not what they are called.
    They are out there somewhere, I just know it.
    [​IMG]

update 4/20/11

I picked up the ordered bolt and its perfect dimensional wise. 5/16-18 thread 7/8 long with 9/16x1/8 head torx drive that's the one in the package. Crown lift truck part# 120544-002. Cost was 1.78 plus tax. This will get the job done perfectly however its not stainless.

The larger one is for the Harley, 07 road glide rear bag protector mounting bolt. Part # 3678 . Harley calls this bolt a "SCREW,FLAT TOP PAN HEAD" its way too big for this aplication 3/8-16 X 7/8" head is 3/4x 1/4 . Cost 1.00 from the Harley shop.

The other from a semi trailer shop, close but just a bit too tall on the head. Now I showed the Guy the crown bolt and asked for something similar in stainless, lenght was unimportant. Both guys said "oh no never seen anything like that ever" well I found it on the parts shelf in a bulk bin box, bet there were 500 of them. I walked back up to the counter and showed him what I found on his shelf. Dumbfounded and embarrassed are close. 5/16 18 x 2-1/2 head is 5/8x3/16 rounded.

Stopped at ww grainger with all three bolts in my hand and he couldn't come close with anything.
    did the same at fastenal, the Guy is holding these bolts in his hand telling me They don't exist. Moron.

Any way I can bolt my doors on, but still looking for stainless. Maybe ill Get them chromed if its not stupid money.

I'm going to follow up with the hamber who offered to make them now that i have a sample to show. Also got a pm from a Guy who found some at a RV surplus center. We'll see what that turns up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

4. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Closest metric size would be M8-1.
    What are you using them for? Why will a low socket head not work? Will a garden variety button head work?

5. must be gonna do something FANCY?:rolleyes::D try these guys http://www.on-b.com/default.aspx they had the 3/8"-24 square weldnuts i needed for repairing the hinge pocket on my TF truck, everyone else said "you will never find them!" due even sent the ones i needed as a sample for free!

6. Tight clearance in between a hinge custom application on a model A
    Low head socket is a bit too tall and the head isn't big enough.
    Cheese head works but the slot drive doesn't. Need a torx or allen.

7. I have used those type of bolts when installing truck side running boards.

8. Those guys are great and in my neck of the woods, scoured their site too. I'm gonna stop by though.

9. Just looked, didn't see what I need but ill call tomorrow thanks

10. Body shop next door caught that too. Found some of similar configuration but head too big around and thread diameter too small. Also Ford bed parts but same unusable diameters.

11. oldolds

oldolds

I think those are what is used to hold the rear fenders on GM fenderside trucks in the 80's. Or maybe Fords. It's been a while.

12. Button head is close to working, need a couple hairs under 1/8" and a Tad bigger diameter head than a button head

13. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

check out conveyor belt bolts,Ithink I remember seeing some that looked like that. is that how you spell conveyor by the way?

14. 31, Hex Socket Pan head is the engineering term for those bolts.

15. Google here I come! Lets see what I find?
    Thanks

16. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

Could you machine button heads in a lathe? Have you tried metric and multi standard?

17. Dude I've tryed everything I know and learned some new stuff along the way and tried that too. I know I haven't tried everything yet. These guys Have been a bookmark for years http://www.metricmcc.com/

Machined button heads are an option but completely different from what I'm looking for. These are cheese head. Completely flat.
    These illusive little MFers have to be readily available to some industry or manufacturing facilities.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I've got a supplier up here in Detroit I have been using for over 25 years, if you come up with the real name for them let me know what it is and i can check if they have or can get them in the morning.

I also have a fastener supplier that sells door to door to any buisness..he might be able to get some too

Is it really called "cheese head"?

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

www.hudsonfasteners.com/socket.htm
    low head socket cap screw

Not sure of this company but this picture looks close.

If I go into Fastenal and search "Low head socket cap screw" I get a lot of product hits.

20. F&J

F&J

I am starting to think that industry has some secret web that we don't know about.:D

I tried in vain to find the "u drive screws" that M/T Rader wheels used... It is a very common spiral threaded rivet....except in the large size that Rader used.

No place offers that size. One Canadian place had the specs for that size, but they don't offer the screw.:confused:

21. 69fury

69fury

usually called "elevator bolts" around here anyway. They hold the fins or buckets to conveyor belting in grain/food/parts handling facilities.

rick

22. Yes " cheese head" because its flat and round and resembles a wheel of cheese. Funny I know but true. Problem is majority of cheese heads are slotted drive for flat blade screw driver.
    If you asked your bolts supplier for a torx or allen drive cheese head they should have an immediate mental image of that bolt even if that's not the proportion name, that's when They started laughing. I'm headed past Detroit on Saturday up to Canton Mi

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

most "elevator bolts" have no drive

Attached Files:

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sent you a PM with place and number

Acme Nut and Bolt

Oakman street Detroit

1-313-842-7044

problem is..they are not usually open on weekends

25. Spent an hour at fastenal's counter. Low head socket cap screws only have about 1/16th shoulder on them at the 1/4 " range and about 5/64" @ 5/16". The low head isn't going to work that way for me and its not low enough