Register now to get rid of these ads!

I cant compete

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadster jones, May 4, 2013.

1. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

If you think finding a project is the hard part, wait until you start on the build!

Save your money and buy something running.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RJ, good to hear that you didn't take our "tough love" too badly...lol. Keep a good attitude and keep after it...you can do this. When you do find one, be sure to come around and share your good fortune with us. Good luck.

3. Don't feel to bad. Most of us get a good roasting now and then. I think it's just part of the hamb. Gotta remember most of us car guys are a holes.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's no shit. The finding and the getting is the easy part. The hard part is having the time, money, motivation, space, tools, knowlege, skills, cooperation of the spouse, (though I'm lucky on the spouse's cooperation thing...some guys aren't) etc...to actually see a project through to completion. Maybe spend more money at the outset to buy someone's unfinished project, and then make it your own...rather than starting from scratch. You'll spend less time if you go that route. Or...buy a finished car. But be careful not to get screwed. Lots of junk out there. Do your best to get your money's worth. In the meantime, save up the money and school yourself on what's worthy and what's crap. Maybe start with a different style of car to begin with. Early '50s Chevys usually aren't all that expensive, they're not too hard to work on, and there are parts available. You know, roadsters do have their shortcomings. You might actually enjoy a closed car with roll-up windows and a back seat more...especially if you plan on ever taking the family along. Plenty of real decent stockers out there that are a lot of fun. Lower the rear a little, open up the exhaust, bring all the mechanicals up to snuff, and go.

5. 5window

5window

OP. if you don't have time to look for your car,let it look for you. You've got money, but not time? Take out an ad in Hemming's. Put free ads in your local papers,Shoppers,whatever. Put up posters anywhere they'll let you. Contact the local car clubs, cruise ins,etc-offer a finders fee that makes it worth someone's while to call you. Contact the area auctioneer services-tell them what you're looking for-they go all over the place. Put in searches on Ebay that notify you when something comes up. Pay a bit to someone with time to do Craigslist searches every day in any state near you. Put a sign up in your car so anyone driving by will see what you need while you are working. Contact groups of old men!-Rotary, the Elks, VFW, the Grange. Take a little time when you can to talk to them. They may remember the car they used to have-but they may also remember old Bob who died and his wife just never got a round to doing something with it.

Don't settle, but keep an open mind-maybe it's a Chevy roadster, maybe it's a Duesenberg, who knows?

I really wanted a Deuce, a '31 came my way and I have been really happy with it-and, just as frustrated trying to build it!

6. cmarcus

cmarcus

As a fellow younger guy as well, I wanted to throw a couple things out there. RJ, I get it man. We young guys feel like we gotta get ahead, and do it now. It is an instant gratification syndrome that is WRONG with our generation. Now, you also have been putting in your time and efforts with work, an no one is judging you and persecuting you for that. It is admirable, especially trying to support a family. Not something that everyone our age is doing.

The one thing I do want to caution though is to remember the company in which you are posting. It's a matter of just being careful of "think before you speak" (or post, in this case). If we can't get the older and wiser guys on here to understand that there are younger dudes like us trying to earn some respect in the traditional rod and custom world, we are screwed. Reputation can go a long way with these guys. Trust me, because of them I have already got my dream car through the HAMB. Everyone is talking about building a network? This IS the best network you will find. Trust me.

All the best, and if I see or run across anything I'll let you now. Like someone else said...check the classifieds here on HAMB. That's how I found my current project!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

Thanks everyone for the advise and help and even the grief alot of helpful ideas im going to start implementing. I will keep you all posted when i do find the car, thanks again for the help and sternness.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Who Dewey elect? Larry would have to move out of Owasso, wouldn't he? Or has Owasso annexed Tulsa already?

Take me back to Tulsa and I'll run for mayor. New slogan will be "Oil and Gearhead Capitol of the World"

9. donnie gt

donnie gt

chin up young fellow! I have worked at a coal mine for over 3 decades, 14 hours a day(including a hours commute each way) I have all the projects
    a fellow could want! join a local car club!, and stay in contact with a good car site ie this one!
    we all get our ass flamed sooner or later, play the game smarter!
    to quote the "duke" life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid;)

10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

For me it's "The thriil of hunt" no matter how long it takes.I also work 5-6 days a week and 50-60 hours.Patience my friend!

11. have you posted a "Wanted model A ROADSTER".. AD ... ANY WHERE?

TIRED AND OVERWORKED IS A NOT A GREAT EXCUSE... FOR LIFE

12. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Its simply another case of someone blaming others for his inability to get what he wants . What a bunch of BS. Good luck to the OP getting what he wants out of life....sounds like he'll have to settle for the leftovers.

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I saw a 60's ford panel van (nodoor) in 1980 that I couldn't live without. this was before the internet. it took 24 years to find one. in all that time I only saw a couple and their owners wouldn't even talk about selling. these old cars don't come easy for any of us. it might look that way to a young person who hasn't lived long enough to build up much buying power yet. I lot of these guys are re-tired and maybe sold a rental or a valuable old car to have a little fun while they can. some have been at it their whole life. you'll probably have a lot of cool stuff when you've lived a little longer to. just don't let this stuff control you to much. it has a way of "enslaving" a person if you let it. if you're not set up to store and maintain these cool things, you get to watch them turn back to dust. chin up now.

14. I've had a project Dodge truck sitting in the shop for a year, because I've had other priorities going. Soon, it'll be back on the road, because I found the one stupid damn part that was keeping me from completing the job. It's all about patience, time, and resolve. Here in a few days, I'll be able to again enjoy driving it, after having put a whopping 12 miles on it prior to starting the work.

BTW, I worked on nearly a year to acquire this specific truck, and it's been down for another year...so like I said...have patience. You'll be happily surprised when that roadster falls into your lap.

Last thing...punctuation, spelling, and capitalization may mean nothing to some, but it does mean a lot to most. It conveys thought, and a sense of knowing what the hell you are talking about. Work on that. It'll help.

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I have an a-hole(car-wise) friend just like you describe, buying great stuff and then flipping it...not for the money , just to say he had one, if only for a month...drives me crazy. I like some of the positive responses like finding a mor-door or something less 'valuable' and then possibly trading up. My motto is ..."You gotta love what you drive" otherwise I'd be one of the 'flippers.

Good luck man!

Cosmo49

16. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I'm 24 and have found 2 27 roadsters over the years not even looking. Just by talking to like minded people regardless of age. I didn't buy either as I was not in any position to, but they're out there you just gotta ask around to all these "old guys"

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. Anderson

Anderson

When I was 20 I started piecing together parts to build a car. I could afford a cowl...then doors and the back panel...then I could afford some framerails....then I could afford an engine, a rear end, a front end, etc. Why do you have it in your head that you need to save and buy a whole car? It took a few years but by the time I started putting it together I had enough parts to build a whole car. I don't think you are an example of feeling entitled, but wanting instant gratification with a small budget. That just doesn't happen.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  18. What he said. And if I may add, Andersons car is a HAMB icon and one cool little roadster!@!!Q!!1!

19. reefer

reefer

I would say, that if you haven't the time to look for the parts, then you sure wont have the time to build it.Work the overtime and get a decent stash together and then buy a car that's finished and on the road and finesse it to how you want it.Good luck with your search.

20. Well, you've seen some funny, and some not so funny, responses to your request for a shoulder to cry on. As one of those old farts who steal your life's dream out from under you, (aaaaaaawwwww) here's my ¢ x2:

1. Get over it. Be glad you have a job and a son. Your priorities are out of order.

2. Put a wanted ad on Craigslst. (And everywhere else) Isn't that where the one sold was listed?

3. Buy my steel 27 roadster on stock A running gear and build a 40's perfect gow job.

By the way, Welcome to the HAMB! A tough place at times, like life actually, but with many very knowdgeable folks, young and old, who will help you when you find that roadster.

21. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dear Mr. Jones, I have read all 6 pages of this thread with "Great Interest" I would like to share a bit of knowledge with you regarding your "A-Model Quest........
    I bought my first old car at the age of 17. I was working as a stock clerk at a local department store. Knowledge of the car came to me from a friend. The car was a stock 1939 Chevy 2-dr Sedan. Within a year the 6 had been pulled and a 283 and Glide was installed. My parents constantly bitched about the car and in 1968 the car was "Sold" Yes, I did make a profit (very little) for all of my time and expenses.
    I never lost my love for old Chevrolets and in 1978 I began my search for another project. At this time I was 31 years old, raising 3 preteen kids and working 2 Jobs. I worked 8 hours a day, came home from work and went straight to one of my two garages. My 28X30 garage in the backyard was dedicated to body work and welding. My 24X24 garage that was attached to the house was dedicated to custom upholstery work. The upholstery work was hot rod and classic car oriented. The body work was also limited to this type of vehicle.
    In 1980 I partnered with a friend and we would search hi and low for antique car bodies that we could by cheap and flip for a profit. We flipped cars to help raise our families and to supply money to fund our own projects. The search and recover process is not really easy. Many cars came out of fields or junkyards. Snakes, Spiders and the like were often a part of the deal. Consider the amount of hours spent dragging a trailer and sometimes not getting home until the next morning. I will not attempt to list the almost 150 cars that went through our hands. If I were to list them you would probably want to sit and cry as most of these cars were all pre-1948 Vintage. The 150 does not include the cars that I purchased for my own desires.
    Paul and I over the next 15 years became the "Go to Guys" if you were looking for Vintage Tin. My personal purchases included a 38 Chevy Coupe, 38 Chevy Cabriolet, 38 Chevy 2-dr Sedan, 26 Chevy Touring Car, two 48 Anglias, 51 Chevy Coupe, a one owner 72 Camaro split bumper RS, 76 Chevelle Laguna, one owner 66 Impala SS.
    My point is that I was able to do this while working "Two Jobs" and raising three Kids. When I took time to go on family trips, we stayed off of the interstate and drove the back roads. My kids were trained to turn on their "Rust Radar" and help locate Vintage Tin. I have purchased cars all over Georgia, a few in Alabama and two in Oklahoma. I have turned my friends on to nice tin (1932 Ford 5-window and even went to help bring them home.)
    I am now 66 and retired / disabled and have a partially crippled right leg (motorcycle wreck in 1972) In my garage I have an OT Camaro Convertible and a 1933 Chevy Truck. Both are Projects.....
    How did I do all of this ??? PURE DETERMINATION !!!
    Put your wife and kid in the car when ever you can and hit the back roads. I am sure there is Vintage Tin in Iowa !!! You may have to do some driving and look in a few old barns but that is how its done !!!
    BTW, I have still not found my Elusive 32 Chevy Roadster but I ain't Dead Yet !!!
    I chose not to whine about your Thread because I hope that You can see the "FUTILITY" in Your own Post. It is really all up to You !!! Jeff

22. As a part of the entitled generation, I completely agree! That's why building a car is good therapy for me. It has been teaching me patience, budgeting and perseverance. These are all qualities I want my kids to learn, but if they don't see that in me, they don't have a chance.

To the original poster: Check out my build thread, I started with a rusty POS, and it still is.. but I love it, and its mine... and it WILL be cool one day, if only in my eyes.

Another thing: I've had those whiny woe-is-me days, but I didn't post it on the internet.

23. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I agree, you need to find a retired guy to help you look. My Dad found my ford roadster for me, it needed a lot of work... and still does. I've been wanting one since I was a little kid. Now I get to build it. The HAMB is a great place to learn...

I could have bought a finished one but I chose to build it (even though I had the chassis built for me), but I want to see my boys see and learn how to build things.. much like my Dad did with me. (good post Dan Hay)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799003

24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Nothin wrong with that if it makes him happy. Reminds me of an old saying...Can't own it all at once, but can own it all once.

25. jesse1980

jesse1980

Your going to stress yourself out man. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. It sounds like money is the issue here. Don't buy a fricking s-10, save up, then buy what you want. Also, be thankful you are working and can support your family and pay your bills.

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Over my 60 + years into cars ,since I was 14 , I've had nice cars I hated and pieces of shit cars that I loved. What you think would be your dream car today, will prolly not be the one you fall in love with. Get busy start searching. There will be many that get away. It's like going on a long trip. Getting there should be 1/2 the fun. The main thing ,what ever you do show some class, and treat people like you would like to be treated.:cool::D

27. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I like the range of responses here. Like you i can't afford much and after a year of looking i found my 38 panel truck, was a whooping $700 with title and the guy let me make 3 payments over 3 months and it was mine. I knew i could never afford another in better condition as they are difficult to come by but i was persistent...and it paid of. For the rest of the truck build I'm collecting parts when and were i can afford them.

28. I love it! :D HRP

The Hamb ain't Dear Abby,,the whole thing reminds of the John Prine song,,,HRP

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b2ccC4aULow?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

My first ol'timey car was a 4 door..... traded up since.

Kind of reminds me of the movie Gran Torino, when they're talking in the garage. "a man doesn't just get this many tools all at once. You acquire them over 50s yrs." ...or something like that.

30. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Now your talking..... just dont give up, your time will come. Maybe not today, but it will happen. Good grief, it took me eighteen years to build my car. Lots of the time life gets in the way of our projects. My problem was lack of extra money for the car, and sometimes I just wanted to sellout and forget it. Keep looking and like the guys said, get the word out for what you want. Join a club or hang around the car guys. I dont know a real car guy that doesnt like to answer questions about his ride. Make friends in the hotrod world and see where it takes you.