Register now to get rid of these ads!

I cant compete

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadster jones, May 4, 2013.

1. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

Cruise the "Sitting & rotting picture thread" i saw some roadster bodies on there, Make honey out of a rusty hulk & leave the doubters to marvel at how you did it? Yes that could take time too...

2. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Roadster Jones, I think your post should get nominated for most pathetic rant of the year. I know it gets really frustrating. That's why it's such a major quest and huge accomplishment to finish one of these things.
    Speaking of nominations, we can't seem to find a candidate for Mayor of Tulsa that is any more trustworthy than your typical rattlesnake. Yep! I think we need a guy like Larry! I'm having yard signs printed tomorrow!

3. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

No matter how long it takes to find the perfect car or part in the end it's worth it, because you have put the time and EFFORT in to it. I'm 26 and work 12 hours a day, some times 7 days a week to support my two kids. I'm also in England so finding the parts i want over their with you guys is some what more difficult for me, but i don't complaine. At the moment I'm searching for a set a 38 deluxe hood sides ( now talk about rare ) i will swap you your search for mine and i bet i know who will find what first. But when i do find them the search will be so worth it, and it's part of the fun of today's hot rod builder. Things are getting more rare...it's a challenge.

But I'm afraid to say younger people want everything NOW !!!

4. indyjps

indyjps

Consider the old guys were once you, the cars they are buying theyve probably known about for years, they were just waiting for the previous old guy to get too old to work on it or pass on.
    Keep a look out, it sometimes takes years to get a car you have your eye on, find them, keep track of them, check back if they are for sale.

5. I think you could safely say this thread was created as a "gee up" (verb)

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Stop whining. I SOLD my "Hot Rod" to be able to pay for the truck to tow my Haulmark with so I can snipe stuff out from under whiney crybabies noses on the sly when I retire...

Brian

7. Even my Wife likes this Thread!:eek:

8. We all have ovecome/sacrificed to obtain a goal..blaming others for the reason you can't obtain yours is lame.

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

If 5-6 k was in your price range you should be on the classifieds here and craigslist or even Evil Bay instead of posting about the deal you missed. We should be reading the post about the one that got away and then you found a hell of alot better deal.

10. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

it's all about the guy or gal who works the smartest and not really the hardest ! if you want something real bad ,you can get it !:D

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, you can be mad at me too. I once bought a senior series 35 Packard Cpe for $700. The guy insisted it was a 120, and I didn't bother to correct him. I also bought a 35 Ford cpe for $600 that had the cleanest body I've seen to date. It came with a 68 Z28 302 engine all fresh and ready to go which I sold for more than I paid for the cpe, so free 35 5W...which I sold for $3K. Yes, by the prices you can see this was years ago. The biggest problem I had was working 10hrs a day 6 days a week AND having to drive over an hr 1 way each day. I would be banned for life if I used the space required to describe all of my flips, and every one netted a monster profit. The difference is I didn't spend the off time eating whaamburgers and cries...

12. 62rebel

62rebel

well; i think another potential rodder has been successfully flamed off the HAMB for stating his opinion. maybe he did come across as whiney but he was making a valid observation based on his personal experience. not everybody can juggle work obligations and family obligations just to chase rabbits down holes trying to find Bugs Bunny, especially after a 12hr shift laying concrete.... or "gold brick" off from work to do so.

13. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Whaa whaa whaa , boo hoo hooo, wow is me . Have a little self respect man!

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Her husband can't find a roadster, even though he looked all the way down the street for one. It's all the old guy's fault.

[​IMG]

15. Needs to post on the W.H.A.A.M.B.

16. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Make friends with an old guy and have him search for the car you want didn't anyone tell you the working guy always get shafted, hang in there something will come your way

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see it that way. Not to mention the fact that not one single item/car/project is even necessary to ANYONE. He's mad that someone else "got paid $1000" to get a used trailer by flipping the roadster. That guy "...has no passion for the car...(sic)" because he sold it. Opinions being like assholes, in that everyone has one, doesn't make it right to cry about the other guy's good fortune. By his context, I had zero passion for my 69 Boss 302, my 70 383 4spd Cuda, my 70 LS5 Chevelle, my 31 Model A cpe, my Packards, my 34 Ford tudors, my Hudson Terraplane, because I sold every one of those. I must have had even less passion for those I sold within a week of acquisition. Bullshit to the 10th power. My passion for ALL of them, all those I have now and have had and those yet to come, ARE EXACTLY why I did what I did. Knowing that others are as "passionate" about them is the only reason to do it. Remove that and it's all scrap. Nobody needs nor deserves an old hot rod, antique car, muscle car, old tools, old gas pumps, none of it. We need food, shelter, transportation, waste management and medical services. We don't NEED anything that's found on the HAMB, and surely nobody is ENTITLED to it.

18. [​IMG]

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well said sir.

Brian

20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Cliff's Notes: Its hard to break into the hobby as a young buck with no bucks.

Been there...still there.

Get into old 4 doors that nobody wants. They're way less money, much less competition to snatch them up, and still just as fun as the roadster that everyone DOES want.

21. I have to admit that experience finding finished cars and projects comes with practice. Having a network to help you will make the task exponentially easier. I bought a 29 roadster project just over a week ago off the HAMB classifieds. I had no advantage over any one else.

I don't think you will get too much sympathy here. We all had to earn what we have. But don't give up if it's what you really want.

Attached Files:

22. sounds like my grown son. he gave up on a f-1 i let him have, gave it away, bought a harley. now he stands there looking at mine, ( 6 years of hard work), i picked up another to build and then sell later, now he wants one again. i had a come to jesus talk with him and told him he had to foot the bill and listen to me and do it my way. if not , find your own.

23. Ever heard of this company called brookvile , they make new ones.

24. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

Ok thanks everyone for the pep talk i didnt think i was blameing the old guy i was just frustrated thats all ive been searching for almost 4 years i dont feel that im entitled i just dont have all the time to look for cars on the internet no i dont have a i phone or smartphone no i dont get a 30 min lunch break i get to eat in between concrete trucks so after that i go home to my 5 year old son and try to have the energy to play with him before i go to bed well i read every post and i liked all of them good and bad i feel motivated i was just venting thats all oh and i do have a savings account i dont know why some assume i have no cash im frends with alot of the old guys around and the respect what im trying to build they all have their feelers out thanks again and didnt mean to offend some of ya

25. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

i want original Henry Ford steel im trying to build period correct nothing newer than 49

26. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

ma dad never gave me any vehicle

27. charlieb66

charlieb66

A Model a Roadster in an enclosed trailer for $5000, maybe that kind of luck only happens on Iowa. Around S.C. the trailer would sell for that much. Buy a Brooksville body, TCI chassis, and go to work.

28. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Anyone working 12 hours a day pouring concrete doesn't have an entitlement complex, but it sounds like you've got a bad case of the gotta have it, and gotta have it NOW. Sorry, life doesn't work that way.Be thankful you're working so much. Unemployment is 16.7% in the town where I live and construction is just about non-existent. If you're working 12 hours a day and can't afford an old car you need to take a serious look at your lifestyle.

How many old timers got the car of their dreams early in life? A buddy of mine has 3 killer 56 Fords. A glass top, convertible, and a wagon. It took him over 40 years of wheeling and dealing old cars in his "spare" time after putting in 60+ hours a week with his job. He probably bought and flipped 60 cars in 40 years to be able to afford the cars he has now. Get your finances in order. Get your priorities straight. Build a network of people to help you look for a car. Put the time and effort in. Buy a few cars you like to flip and put the proceeds towards a car you love. With time and effort you'll get the car you want.

29. Hard? Dude im 8k miles from the US, i got my coupe by searching adds and postings when ever i had access to the internet. I had to pay the guy half the amount jusr to hold it till i came back on leave (really risky) and im still waiting to get back and actually build it. So if i can score it with very limited means to even call the person with what i want, you damn sure can do it. Ps you are looking for one of the most wanted models. Deals arent cheap and most are willing to pay more for less now a days. Im not an old retired guy im only 25, been collecting parts since my 20th birthday and im finally getting to my car.

30. This suggestion still is applicable,
    Just sayin"