Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I built the car for me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 15, 2019.

1. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Back years ago there was always a bunch of guys around my neck of the woods that would see what the latest trend was in street rods in magazines and by spring would have totally revamped their cars to suit it. They only seemed to try and impress everyone else but themselves.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Last hot rod I built with air was my shop truck in the early 2000's, sold it before I got it charged. Fast forward to 2019 with about a dozen 32's behind me since the shop truck I recently bought this really nice 40 Ford standard restoration with a small block and automatic built about 20 years ago. My wife and I decided that since we're in our 70's it's time for a car with some comfort. Tuned up the dropped axle with Posie spring, changed out the front brakes to Super Bell Super Stoppers, P&J power brake setup, a nice 8 inch on a CE spring kit, 525 steering, new Walker Z line with CC fan, Vintage air heat and cool, cruise control and tilt wheel. No longer is the car HAMB friendly but I really don't give a dam. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

For 50 years plus , I have always believed if its not stock , IT'S A HOT ROD!! Street rod, street machine , custom, custom rod, pro street , pro touring, I hate labels!! I build what I want with what I want and none of them are STOCK!! Your car is cooler than cool Danny even though I have an obsession with shiny paint! ;) But that's ME not You, double thumbs up! :):) Larry

John Starr and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Sisco Kid

Sisco Kid

We frequent the H.A.M.B. partially because most of us (if we don't have one) picture ourselves in a traditional Hot Rod. When H R Primer built his 32 he was quite a bit younger and as an old timer I have grown to appreciate a few creature comfort creatures. He has enjoyed his car and hope he will continue to it for many more years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. jim snow

jim snow

I rebuilt mine for me,and to drive it. So two pedals and disc brakes . Don’t care about anybody else’s opinion. Snowman

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Marty S

Marty S
    from kentucky

I've started gathering parts for my first hot rod build and plan to really get going when I retire in a few months. As a "car guy", I think I appreciate anything automotive. Muscle car, hot rod, street rod, traditional, tuner....it's still a car!
    I've been given LOTS of advice and more than a few opinions.:) I've decided that any time someone feels I'm doing the pile of parts an injustice, they're more than welcome to save them by handing me cash! I'll be happy to help them load em' up.

X-cpe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Lol I hope it did not burn you out against sun-faded Mercury Comets...

As for the theme of this thread, who else would you build the car for if its yours? My build is just starting - I always worked on other people's cars when I was younger and when I went back to study but never got to do "my" build. I finally got to the point I have the budget to do what I want to do. Now, whereas my build will follow the vehicle's period (mid 60s) there's a point where you have to draw a line, and believe you me when you live in a mountainous place like Austria single circuit drum brakes, 3 on the tree and wayward handling are no fun and can be scary, so I'm not staying in 1964 in that area, and if people criticize me, so be it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I hear you loud and clear on the budget. Back in the 70s, we had the 1974 Ford Falcon version of your avatar. Paid $150 and it was the (now ex) wife's daily driver. I love the looks of this generation, almost bought another one a couple of times, but, did not need a reminder of a bitter and costly divorce...

Back in 1964, the first thing done was to take out the 3-on-a-tree and put in a floor shift kit (not all brands were equal). A 4 speed transmission if your wallet allowed. Don't let the negativity on this site get you down, there are a few that try to impress us "unwashed" with their snark.

9. I'm afraid some folks try to build a car to please everyone, I will substitute safety over period correct every day of the week, I have experienced single master cylinder failure and the results were not good.

You can build your car to emulate the 60's, you can toss the 3 on th3e tree in favor of any other transmission and you can swap your front suspension ( just don't talk about it) and build it for YOU. HRP

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Ryan, we are being infiltrated. Anyone that had a positive response, just do a quick bulk ban- hurry, they are all in one thread!..... :)

John Starr likes this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

F1573F27-BBA8-4F75-B485-9F8FE2E38E9F.jpeg My five window has been in my family close to 60 years (yikes). Originally, two pedals and a Rocket

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

IF this were my car...............
    Two pedals, Two pedals, Two pedals!!!
    The way Arthuritis is dogging me I'm thinking by the time my roadster hits the road I'll need to hire some young pup to drive me around in it.
    20161029_091855.jpg 20160807_135448.jpg

Tri-power37, Bandit Billy and nochop like this.
  13. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Just to clarify, I WANT to remain as close as possible to a period build, and for example I stayed with the original front suspension but had a Shelby Drop (done by Shelby in 1964), and at the rear I fitted a Mike Maier Panhard rod which again was known back in 1964. Even before shortening the front coils to get rid of the nose bleed stance and doing the final Shelby Drop alignment the car feels 10 times safer than it was with the stock suspension.

Oh the steering box was changed to 16:1 (the original was like 20 turns lock to lock) but again the electric Unisteer power assist which I intend to fit is to me a sensible addition which is out of sight but makes life so much nicer. Same for a 140 A/H alternator. I WOULD have gone no bigger than 15" wheels but my disk brake kit (Wilwood Series 140) requires 16" (which will look period, no stupid modern looking wheels for me), so no choice on that. As for the 5sp, well we and the next door neighbors have Autobahns and I see no reason why to have the engine do 3500 RPM at 80 MPH when 2200 will do...

But I get why the moderators want to keep the forum pure.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The problem in doing that is the music (engine sound) changes from Sammy Hagar to...............Brahms.;)

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Period correct can get expensive. I built mine to suit me but since it was my first older car, there was several things that don't suit me. I'm going to redo some of those this winter. I put the 427 in because I had it, this winter it'll get a sbc. Thinking about the new Eldelbrock air gap 2x4 intake with 2 Eddy carbs. I think an old hot rod needs 2 carbs. I just try and build what I can afford.

mcsfabrication and lilmann like this.
  16. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

When I bought my 37 Chevy 15 years ago it was a total street rod
    Air conditioning - no air conditioning now
    2 pedal car - 3 pedals now
    American racing torq thrust- old daisy 200s now
    Raised white letters out - black walls now
    2 tone paint scheme- all 1 color now
    Pinstriping EVERYWHERE - no pinstriping now
    Boring goodrench 350 - same boring goodwrench 350 dressed up a bit ( tri- power now)
    Horrible tweed interior - still horrible tweed interior!
    The point is I am trying to make my car more H.A.M.B. friendly as time goes on cause you old guys are the wind beneath my wings.

17. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Be true to your vision, whatever that may be...

John Starr and Dick Stevens like this.
  18. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

If you consider it a hot rod, then it's a hot rod....fuck the naysayers!!!

John Starr likes this.
  19. My shoes and my Stude - 1974 - stillrunning with them........ Stude and VW.jpg

20. 28rp

28rp

The way you build your car only has to suit one person........................

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe it's not so much the cars... as it is the people that own them

Hot rodders tend to build/rebuild part of, some of, or all of their car... and do their own maintenance, modifications and repairs.

Street rodders tend to buy their cars and do a lot of cleaning detailing, waxing and polishing

Hot rodders pull into a show...and head directly to the flea market. Maybe put the chairs out, but don't use them...too busy looking at cars, or still in the flea market. (chairs only used when dead tired or eating).

Street rodders pull into a show...and pull out the duster, wax and chrome polish. Sits in his chair all day so he can be seen with his car (poser) and so he can tell everyone how wonderful his car (and himself) are.

Sorry if this piss's some people off...Just my opinion

22. John Starr

John Starr

I like having three pedals, but don’t consider it a rule.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  23. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

@ DDDenny: Oh there are enough twisty, deserted back roads for that (see pic)... On the Autobahn it's just means more fuel (and our fuel is EXPENSIVE) and engine wear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It certainly seems like everyone has their own car(s) in mind when modifying or customizing. In our neck of the coast, it was do what you can to make it reliable, then with what funds were in the bank, keep it running as a daily driver. There is nothing more exciting than turning that key and it fires up instantly. It is also very depressing when we all hear that clunk or tic,tic,tic, too.

We built what hot rods and mild customs we drove, on a daily basis, in high school. It did not matter what the hot rod did, it was our own version of transportation. This was the 30s style, through the 40s and the 50’s hot rods. We all got older, the timeless situation of reliability came into play. If our livelihood depended on whether or not our hot rods would start and get us to our schools or jobs, that started to come into play. So, everything was done to get the reliability in our builds and enjoy driving it around.
    upload_2020-2-7_4-30-6.png
    Since we have all grown older, wiser and we still contemplate hot rod road trips. Whether it is a long distance cruise, vacation, or just a jaunt to the local grocery store, being a reliable entity has its pleasures. We don’t need to cringe when turning over the motor. It starts, we back up and get our lives moving to the next place in the order of things.

Jnaki

We are hot rod guys/girls from our teenage days. Something as cool as “knowledge in things automotive” plays an important part in the little things in life. Someone in our extended family thinks we still have the magic touch as to things automotive. Reliability and longevity helps push that theory along. We are still around, driving reliable cars, and are happy, so something must have gone right in our timeline history. Stick by your knowledge and ideas…(and family)

25. silent rick

silent rick

nice street rod

26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

If my car loses it’s cool factor because I enjoy a few creature comforts so be it.
    It will always be “cool” to me.:cool:

40ragtopdown, olscrounger and Slopok like this.
  27. What good is a car you can't drive and enjoy? Be like buying empty beer bottles. I do this shit to impress myself.

olscrounger and Nostrebor like this.
  28. 34Larry

34Larry

Sure as hell looks like a Hot Rod to me HRP.:D

29. Hell call it Emile and let 'em all take an aeronautical intercourse at a tumbling piece of pastry.

Personally from where I sit I can't see if its got heat or A/C. The only thing I see wrong with it is that its a damned old deuce. ;) :D

Chavezk21 likes this.
  30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 40 is done the same--has been this way for 10 yrs--AT 76 I like the comforts as well-have done several 40's (10+) this way. Easy to drive and comfortable--wife drives it as well.

i.rant likes this.