Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features I bought my 4 year old son his first Car last night ( a Henry J )

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piston Farmer, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Yes im going to try and find him a hudson truck, or 30's hudson. And his middle name is Rowdy.

2. So we got a chance today to check on the progress of the engine, we used a pond pump to move about a foot of the liguid to another barrel and see what was happening!

What it looked like after taking the lid off:

[​IMG]

Putting in the pump:

[​IMG]

After a spray off with the hose:

[​IMG]

Close up on the head :

[​IMG]

Theres more pictures in the album, but its done an amazing job! When we have more time we will take it out and clean it all off. then get it on a stand and spray it so it wont flash rust.

3. Since this is the running build thread I have for all things hamb related, The wife saw me looking at the garage art thread and saw the sofa/bed made out of the rear of a caddy. she said that she would allow me to build that for the sons room. Sounds like another project in the works.

4. Its been awhile since we have done any work on the Henry J but we have made alot of progress in the past two days.

We removed the outer rocker panel on the drivers side and found this:

[​IMG]

Front:

[​IMG]

Rear:

[​IMG]

This is the "good" side, the new pieces for these are in the mail.

We removed the drivers rear quarter, The inner structure in this area is GREAT! very solid with just some light surface rust.

[​IMG]

The passenger side floor and rockers are non-existant

[​IMG]

We also pulled the rear end out of the jaguar and will post some pictures of that tomorrow after we "un-cage" it.
    We are going to be putting in alot of hours on this project over the winter.

5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Will you adopt me ?:D Great first car.

6. AG F/C

AG F/C

Would be cool to see the outcome of the Molasses dip.... Or it is still in there?

Great project... You and your son will have good memorys for the rest of your days.

7. Jbox6.jpg jeremywith50coupe.jpg jeremysboxoct04.jpg My son at 15 and his 1st car.
    And now, 24 years later in his own garage
    And 7 years later in his garage.[top photo] ..still not done but getting closer.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    catdad49, Driver50x and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Hmmmm.
    4 years old you say?
    Who is this for again?

Think I'll ask my wife if I can buy another hot rod for our grandchild for when we might have one some day.

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Cool thread. Make sure you teach him how to work safe too! Subscribed for updates!

10. So as promised here is the Jag rear on the floor of tha garage ready to be un-caged;

Caged pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed control arms and shafts:

[​IMG]

The center with brakes:

[​IMG]

and the Empty cage:

[​IMG]

11. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Well gotta go for now .... Gonna try and knock up the wife, thinking if its a boy I will name him 1930 ford pickup and if its a girl maybe 3 window duece... Maybe twins . Wish me luck guy
    s oh what the hell gonna get lucky either way.

12. Is that what Vinny is saving all that stuff in his basement for as you have seen?
    Passing it onto his grandkids?

13. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

That's how I talked my wife I to it. I told her that Clay needs something cool to drive in high school and if I'm going to have it ready by then, I better start now. He's not even two yet. Now that she's seen the plan for over 400hp, she says this one should be for me and I need to build a different one for him. Hehehe worked like a charm.

14. So i have been working on cleaning up the rear parts, and working on rocker panel repair on the passenger side which is the worst.

One of the calipers:

[​IMG]

disassembled:

[​IMG]

i sand blasted the castings and will rebuild them and re-assemble

And we applied some corroseal to the inner quarter to convert the rust after a good wire brushing. Will show some after pics tomorrow after it does its thing.

[​IMG]

and now some pictures of the rotted out rocker panels. More in my album:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we cut it out!

[​IMG]

and then placed one of the new pieces into place for some fitting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jeremy..........You are one great DAD!

16. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Piston, great story and pic's. Put our HJ up on the hoist the other day just to remove the brake drums so we can roll it around if needed. Before you fully weld the rocker install the door and make sure the alignment is ok. I looked at an HJ the other day and the door had to be lifted after they replaced the rockers.

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey

I really dig that car! Small and cool. Seems like an European car, build In America. And now it's getting an Real American motor transplant! Wish there was more of them over here!
    Congrats to the little guy, with the little car!

Can you explain what Molasses is? I want to do that with my 214 motor too!
    I never heart of that stuff, on this side of the ocean.
    Can you explain what other people would use it for? It seams odd that I never heard of something like that over here!

18. Best to find it at a livestock feed store, its usually mixed into the feed of cattle. molasses is a by-product from sugar production. If you need any more information let me know.

19. Yes that is the plan for the door alignment is critical

20. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

too cool, would like to do the same thing, get my son connor nash a nash to fix up and drive when he gets old enough he is only 2 right now

21. I had a 54 Nash statesman, neat car. The wife says if we have a third kid we r going to name him Holden nash

22. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

my name shoulda been fiftyfive.
    but the more you work on the ol 51 henry the more one becomes attached.

are you open for adopting a older kid ...lol(me)

good luck on the build... thats work the whole family will be proud of.
    and take tons of pictures with the kids and EVERYBODY helping.
    you'll enjoy those later in life as well.

:cool:

23. So here is the inner quarter after a coat of rust converter:

[​IMG]

We applied another coat to it to finish up a couple of the spots the rust didnt fully convert then Henry painted it gloss black with some Rustoleum ( we are only useing rustoleum on the under side of the car it protects and is easy to touch up )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And afterwards:

[​IMG]

We also worked on the rocker a little more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. So after tacking the inner rocker panels togthere it was obvious they needed some webbing inbetween them. so we cut out some metal and tacked them in also. once we have it fit will to the repair i will finish weld them,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Very cool, you're an awesome dad!

26. We are still making progress, Heres the lower control arm mounts for the jag rear freshly powder coated by a friend of mine.

[​IMG]

27. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

Subscribed to this one, and will be showing the wife tonight when I get home. My first son is due for arrival on May 5th, so I need to start convincing her this is necessary asap.

-Cabbie

28. We brought home another project today, 1950 chevy 6400 2 ton;

[​IMG]

craig b blue likes this.
  29. We are still working on it, got the passenger rocker welded, when we get back from disneyland at the end of the month we are going to take the body off the frame. From there it will be installing the jag rear end, changeing the front IFS.

heres some pics of the rocker, and body mount under the front floor board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

My dad bought a 51 Henry j for my first car but I was 18 and he thought the 100 bucks was for a meal ticket. That's what's great about going to college 2000 miles away from home!