Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought me a '57...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52pickup, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any wheels... :D

Ok, so this is kinda off topic, but I'm pretty excited about it. It's my first house, and at 800 sqft, it's kinda little, but I think the garage makes up for it...

[​IMG]

Thats 480 sqft of hot rod building heaven.

Its not mine officially for a couple more weeks, but most of the scary stuff seems to be over, and it starting to sink in.

Not bad for a 21 year old kid, eh? (and yes I'm buying it on my own, with my money, and no help from my parents)

2. squirrel

squirrel

neato, and congrats!

what neighborhood is it in? I grew up in Tucson...

3. 53burb

53burb

How can ya buy it with NO $$$$$$$$$$$$$? Let me know if there is such a deal in the Los Angeles area. I am still looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KNUX!

4. 53burb

53burb

Opps. I mis-read that. Congrats to you. How did ya manage that? KNUX!

5. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Ah cool, in T-town, I was there this weekend.

6. Good luck with your new little piece of heaven! Consider yourself lucky, my first house came with only a dirt floor garage that was slowly sinking into the ground and was the low spot in the yard. Every spring when the snow melted it all drained into my garage and I had an indoor pool! You look like you've got a pretty nice place there.
    Congrats!

7. racer756

racer756

52 pickup. You just made the smartest buy you will ever make. Try not to ever sell this property, use it to keep "stepping up" and one day you will be very pleased that you did this.Plus you will have a small"cash flow" machine that you will be able to use in your "golden years". Congrats, now get back out to the shop and start working on your stuff.

8. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

That's pretty cool. My house is also a '57.

9. klazurfer

klazurfer

MOST Excellent !!!
    You RULE : " Not bad for a 21 year old kid, eh? (and yes I'm buying it on my own, with my money, and no help from my parents) "
    Hell Yea ... Not bad at All :)
    Have FUN !!!
    Klaz

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

congrats on the purchase, and I agree never sell it . Great town and great house and shop (not garage hehe..........) now put a hot rod in it and send us a pic of that ......:cool:

11. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Thanks guys!

Squrrel - its at 22nd and Swan

12. MidnightTrain

MidnightTrain
    from North Ga

thats an awesome little pad...

i love it....now start painting that cinder block and well..everything cool cooLars,haha

13. And you mis-spelled "oops".

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

GREAT MOVE ...
    The First step to financial security
    :)

Congratulations . :)

15. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Man thats some blue sky's, congrats way to go!

16. that ciderblock reminds me of "the worlds fastest indian" and he did all right living in the shop. so the house is a bonus eh!

17. DRD57

DRD57

Congratulations. Most 21 year olds would probalby rather piss away the money on things that won't last until tomorrow. Owning your own home is one of the best investments you can make. You are wise beyond your years.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Ah, the midtown area. I was just by there recently when a friends car broke at the dragstrip, and I went to the Autozone on 22nd that stays open till midnight

19. tonydamnread

tonydamnread
    from Nashville

Congrats brother! I just bought my first one too, a nice '28 model. Doesn't have a garage yet, but that will be getting built by myself, my dad and my uncle soon.

20. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Where's the lawn? :confused:

21. The Big M

The Big M

Very functional; an outdoor sink for cleanup and a fridge to hold refreshments! :D

I'm looking into home ownership myself. Unfortunately prices are going nuts in my neck of the woods. But rent is on the way up too and there's no room to store projects in an apartment parking lot. ;)

Good luck!

22. raven

raven

Good for you!
    My father and I built my first house (at 21) and I wished I never soldit.
    Oh well.
    Another thing to think about, start a 401K for your retirement.
    I know it sounds a little too early, but trust me, I wished I had started then...
    Have fun with/in/outside of the house...
    r

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it wouldn't matter if your parents helped it's a step in the right direction, I wish I would've when I was 21....

24. Nice little place you found there! I also agree that you are wise to buy it and start on your way to home ownership. I think DRD57 said it best, most 21 yr olds would piss it away instead of investing in a roof over their head.

The best part about your own place is that you make the rules. Within the accepatble limits oif what the neighbors will put up with of course. If you have some shop equipment and tools take a little time to "help" the neighbors. Wled something up for them, fix something easy they don;t have the right tool for, etc. It will be paid back many times in them looking out for you and supporting having a few old cars around the place.

25. Yea... 38Chevy454 is the KING of this! He airs up a few bike tires now and then... he welds cracked BBQ grilles all the time... then gets to park a 30 foot long COE in his front yard! Hahahaha!! Just Kiddin'! :D

In reality, Terry has more flowers in his yard than most Californians! His place always looks great!

Anywho... I like the swamp cooler on the roof of the garage... just make sure to give your tools and parts a shot of WD40...

Sam.

26. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

that's funny you posted this, i've been seriously thinking about leaving stupid rust filled gold chainer florida for arizona or new mexico.

you're house must have been a good deal cause i'm looking at a 4 bedroom for 59,000 in arizona, forget the town but the house has city water, electric and air so i'm amazed.... where i live in cocoa beach florida i could never afford a house, they are ridiculously priced..

what town is your house in? I might do the same thing you did somewhere in that state.

27. 64deville

64deville

Congrats. I just bought mine last year and have been doing a lot of improvements to it. Its slow and a lot of work doing it yourself but I'am currently becoming a professional check writer to the local hardware stores.:)

28. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

That must be in some little hell hole of a town... best you can do in Tucson for a 2 br right now is about $100,000, and it'd need a good bit of work... and might not be the best neighborhood.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words. 38Chevy454, that is brilliant.. I'll be doing that.

29. You are wlecome, as Sam joked about, I keep my place up and give a little help to the neighbors when needed. For instance, the neighbor lady is leader of the Brownie troop, asked if i would use my old 37 Chevy truck for the parade with all the little girls piled in back. Easy enough and earned many good points that day, plus the parade was kinda fun.

I had my 51 GMC COE along side my driveway for 2 months and the neighbors did not get on my case. Just put it behind the fence July 4th, but it still is visible about 5 feet above the fence! My wife likes the flowers and plants, sure it takes away from my car time a bit, but it makes the house look good. You have less options in Tuscon, but plant a few "native plants" that will survive the weather, like cactus or whatever the local garden center suggests.

30. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

yeah but tuscon is definitely not the cheapest town, would I be correct to say the border towns are much cheaper?

I just became a teacher here in florida, but I don't know any spanish so I wonder if it would be hard to get hired as a teacher there. But it's not my fault people move to a country who don't know english.