Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought me a 56 Chevy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DonMan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

2. Ha ha. I tried to trade my GS455 to you for your yellow 56. Remember about a month ago ?

3. Tell me more about this tow yard ....

You are the second guy on here to mention that my 56 was sitting there.

I do know that this 56 was bought somewhere in Cali about 2 months ago and shipped to Texas. It still has a CA black plate on it now.

You guys have me pondering ..... a 327 with a 4 speed isn`t a bad idea. :)

4. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

nice find now you need to LOWER that thing, I would get a bloody nose from being to high in the air. "just joking" you do need some caps on it. enjoy your drives I drive mine every day.

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Wow thats one cool ride!
    -Jason

6. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Andriotti's is just a down 'n dirty little tow yard on the outskirts of Cotati, CA...nearest big town is Santa Rosa. They usually have a few interesting old cars and trucks for sale, and I think they might have a contract with the CHP to do towing. That 56 was for sale for several months. and in fact, was even listed on e bay. I looked at it a few times, and couldn't figure out why it didn't sell. I guess it's a statement about the economy...people either don't have money or aren't spending it. The 56 has a good look to it...it needs a little TLC, like rechroming the bumpers, grille, and other chrome parts, and when it was here, it needed a little mechanical up-dating, but it sounds like you're able to drive it and enjoy it as you work on it, and that's good. A 327 and a 4 speed, along with a pair of front disc brakes would be a good combo.

Did someone else in Texas buy the car and then trade it for your GS, or did you trade Andriotti's? It's always good to see another one getting fixed up...have fun with it!
    Craig Owens

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hell yes !!!!!. Long gone is the 265 and the Glide out of mine. Not a 327, but it does have a 350 and 4 gear

8. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

You got a nice car there. We came real close to buying that car aswell when it was out here. Really liked the look of the car and model. We sold her car a few years back and she misses the '56 alot,but the time and money was'nt right for us so we waited and missed it.
    Here's what she had
    [​IMG]
    And here's what we ended up with, just bought it last month
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Hey man good to see you back with something hamb friendly again.

10. My boss bought it and we traded, then he sold the GS.

I am very happy to have a HAMB friendly ride again.

11. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

sweet looking 56, I like just the way it is! good luck, Jared

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're going to eventually put a V8 into it, here's something to consider. A guy I knew drag raced a '57 Chevrolet Bel Air 2D hardtop with a dual quad 270 HP engine and a 4 speed back in the early '60's. He did real well until some of his competitors started using 2 door posts which were a bit lighter. He bought a '57 150 business coupe and transferred the power train from the Bel Air into it. The first year, he could never get it to perform like the heavier Bel Air. He later discovered that the 6 cylinder cars had a 5/16" fuel line from the tank forward, while the V8's had 3/8" line. Changed the line out; problem solved.:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011