Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I bought it, but what, exactly IS it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmo, Jun 5, 2014.

1. It is said to be a 1964 Ford Econoline Heavy Duty. It has a 170/Dagenham 4 spd (column shift), 9" third member and little else.

So, how special IS the Heavy Duty bit?? Seller gave me some line about how the HD bits are necessary for a V8 swap, but I'm not that knowledgeable about these.

Thanks,
    Cosmo

Attached Files:

2. A column 4 speed is pretty rare,the Econoline truck,,like the vans are getting hard to find. HRP

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From long-ago reading, I think that transmission is a Cortina bit offered in Falcon based applications.

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sweet, that looks almost Mint.
    More pictures, please.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

IF that is a 9" butt, it's advisable for a V8 swap. (an 8" would also be sufficient for a V8 in that light vehicle; but if it has a 9", check the gear ratio and use it.)

The Dagenham tranny is proportional to the 170 engine, not real advisable for V8 power.
    A heavier T 10 4 speed could be hooked up to your 4 speed column linkage, and would be suitable behind a (strong) V8.

6. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Yes Dagenham 4 speed comes from English Ford Cortina They were the first 4 speed Ford offered in the Falcon/Comet line in 62 and they were hand grenades behind the small 6s if you tried driving them hard, Forget even trying to run one behind an 8 thougfh I think Ford did offer them behind the 260 V8 also.

7. If you got the big six you probably got the 9 inch with 3 55 gears. A friend of mine scored one. Nice narrow 9er in there.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

The car magazines back in the day used to refer to the Dagenham 4 spd as the "paper 4-spd" because it was so fragile that a decent motor would tear it up like a sheet of paper.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. nobux

nobux

I don't know anything about Econoline Heavy Duties, but I do know that the truck looks sweet!

10. HammerDown

HammerDown

I had a '64 Heavy Duty van from '04-'06. It had the 170 and 9", but was a 3 speed model. Great running combo, but it was a little steep on the high end. The Heavy duty models were intended for local deliveries and such - not much freeway flying. Rated at 1 ton, but I don't think I would ever get close to that.

The only real advantage you have for a V8 swap is the 9", which is a good thing even though it could stand a little friendlier gear for high speed cruising. The tranny would certainly be a goner with any sort of abuse. Nice truck!

11. Thank you, one and all. The truck will be for delivering furniture that I build, and getting odds and sods for the house and such. I will be looking for a friendlier rear gear, as this one's supposed to be 4.55:1 and it rolls out to such...

It IS so close to rust free that it'd make you cry tears of joy. Surface rust underneath is really all I've got to deal with. Floors are perfect. It sat from 1970 until now. In a garage.

The trans stays until I blow it, or find a 200/saginaw/top loader/whatever.

Cosmo

Attached Files:

12. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I have one like it spotted and have been trying to buy it. Pretty slick and in an old salvage yard.

13. Well....as it turns out, the engines now runs, brakes all done, but 1st gear is shot. Soooo...looking for a 170-200 Ford six engine/trans. Or Chevy, because who in the hell will ever SEE the engine in this!!

No slant six. 258 AMC would be OK.

If you've got one. let me know...thanks.

14. Nice truck.That trans is Probably worth more as is or repaired & funds toward updates.