Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a van.....Super original Econoline. Update 4/24 IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Yep, it the 240 and 3 speed. We'll see how she does....

2. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Had a short one in 1974 old bell telephone repair van blast to drive,good on gas,dependable,good times:Dtraded it to a 57 chevy post

3. It's alive! threw some ignition parts and a new fuel pump on it. It probably would have ran with just points but it had Ford parts on it so I figured it had been awhile since it had a tune up. Next up is brakes, they work..... but barely. Where do I add brake fluid to the system?

4. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

LOL Cops call those rape vans :D

5. sololobo

sololobo

Minty little cat eyed dandy!! ~sololobo~

6. bgaro

bgaro

there is access to the master through the driver floor on mine.

7. iv always liked those, and now i remember why.

8. Do you have to pull up the floor mat?

9. scrubba

scrubba

Shoot, a decent 240 is more than enough to haul that light assed truck around . Hell, I have worked on too many of them . I also used to manufacture parts for them in a shop in Houston , ( Yes - Scrubba is still alive )!!!!!!!!!! If you need any technical help, just P- M me , I probably can do whats needed over the net . scrubba

10. Vans and panel trucks were the bomb... I had lots of fun with mine. I had a sticker for the back door, "DON'T LAUGH, YOUR DAUGHTER MIGHT BE INSIDE.".

Of course the literal "shag" carpet and those $1.99 coolers from 7-11. Cheap roof vents allowed the smoke to get out.

Bob

11. Pacsh

Pacsh
    from Venice, FL

You'll have to pull up the floor mat. There should be a small round plate that you need to take out in order to access the master cylinder.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, master is under the floor, your van looks like a '67 with those rear tailights, if I'm right, it should have a dual reservior MC. Being a one year only item, they are hard to find and worth rebuilding, sleeving if necessary, whatever the condition.

13. Pacsh

Pacsh
    from Venice, FL

I may be wrong, but Im pretty sure all Econoline Supervans had those tail lights.

14. I read that all supervans have those lights also. I kinda hate them. But I would love it if it was a dual master.

also it's leaking coolant badly. I think it has a blown freeze plug....out comes the trans.

15. Old vans are cool....and it's awesome you scored one in such good shape (aside of coolant leaks)
    If free kandy fall through, you could always call it the wild bill and help move couches with it....
    [​IMG]

16. Make sure you put the lotion in the basket ! and a case in the van !!! LOL:D

17. slim tempo

slim tempo

Nice. I had a '61 with no side doors, a 289 and holley 4-BBL with cam and headers. Automatic with shift kit. I never opened it up all the way for fear of crashing. Very little cushion in the front clip. Ended up trading for a '68 El Camino. I wish I still had both.

18. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

19. Fleetside

Fleetside

Very nice, I miss my 61. Fun to drive, and cheap to run.

20. econopoor

econopoor
    from Jackson TN

Looks like you have a 65-66 Supervan. Supervans were 65-67 but the 67 had a back up light in the taillight lens. 65-66 had a solid red lens. All Supervans have the rectangular light where the regular vans had the round light.
    The dual master cylinder was a 67 only part. Even cores bring big bucks. We get them sleeved and they are good as new. The 67 MC also needs the 67 pedal to make it work in an earlier truck. A couple of people offer conversion kits to use the more common Ranger MC.
    A couple of great sites for help with your Econoline are

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Econosrus/

Econosrus Yahoo Group. Jay Long runs this group and is a wealth of knowledge on Econolines. Send him the info from the data plate in the door and he can decode it for you.

http://www.vintage-vans.com/index.html

Vintage Vans is also a cool place to hang out and talk Econolines or any old van that you might have.

HTH
    Duane in Tennessee.

21. Pulled the dog house.....Blown freeze plug at the back of the motor.....Replaced....seems to hold water. Jacked it up in the air. Sent the rims to be powder coated and get new tires. Pulled the brakes apart. Front left was stuck. I'm gonna redo the fronts and slap new wheel cylinders in the rear as they look almost new. Hope to be driving this thing by the weekend. :D

22. I went for my first ride last night! I must admit that it's weird driving this thing....Now to clean it.....

23. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

you get creepier by the minute....

24. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

God I love your Supervan. I bought an identical '66 in '69 after I got out of the service for $600.00 from a plumbing company. Put 14" chrome reverse with G60's on the front, 15" with F70's on the rear, loaded up my bike, and drove it from Cinti. to Los Angeles in April of '69. The interior was hugger orange with a yellow/daisy privacy curtain my girl friend made, and a Craig 8 track in the glove box. It didn't handle nearly as well as my Dodge A100, but I really liked the way it looked. The 240 never let me down and I drove it hard, loaded, over the Rockies thru Denver. Later I replaced the rear window doors with a pair of solid doors and painted a non-HAMB friendly psychedelic mushroom on the back. Finally sold it buy a '48 Chev sedan delivery. One problem I do remember was the clutch release fork pivot. It was a stamped steel bracket. One day in North Hollywood, it folded up at a light and the van just took off thru the intersection.

25. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

super van like mine "therapist" is its name..... master cal is under your right foot on the floor board... put the 67 dual master on it and do all the brakes before driving it!!!!! its scary what these things don't do when they don't have brakes.... i have a ton of links for these vans and am having a ton of fun with mine...

getting 28 mpg with an aod and my 300 il 6 with a 240 head and 4 barrel

26. cool score dude! that brings back lots of memories heh heh heh!

27. bryan6902

bryan6902

Very nice van! Can't believe I said that.... It's for sure an Abduction Van, creeper de-luxe!

28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I got an '65 or '66 Econoline as partial payment on a debt. Seems Pacific Bell had a maintainence schedule calling for a complete overhaul at a certain mileage. At the other end of the building, the fleet manager sold rolling stock based on the amount of time the vehicle was in the fleet. I got this econoline with 71,000 miles that had been completely overhauled the week before it was sold!

29. Anyone know where to get a headliner?