Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 1961 Cadillac Eldorado GM factory custom off craigslist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Sep 17, 2012.

1. The Skylarks will rock. Yeh, we had a cap down here for the '68 Monaro that was prone to flying off, courtesy of weight- related issues.

2. Nads, I'd like to join the chorus of thanks for documenting all your work. What a great story! The hub cap solution looks like it will be equally outstanding compared to the rest of your work, and this fine specimen.
    I noted you thought the "Original" style caps would probably be for static display only, and I understand that given the level of cost and effort to reproduce them. I'm sure you're aware, and maybe you are already considering it, but have you considered incorporating something like the wheel cover locks Cadillac and other GM's included for their heavier fake wire wheel covers? They may at least allow a "parade pass" with these "one of a kind" beauties? <o:p></o:p>
    Keep up the great work!

3. Much drooling going on over my keyboard! Following this build is very cool and informative. It's a great thing you are doing to keep this car as close to what Cadillac built in the first place.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I got one cap assembled, not polished yet but man is it heavy.
    [​IMG]

Greenblade likes this.
  5. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Thar's one amazing car. You're doing good work. Thanks for sharing.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Thanks for the support fellas, I can't believe I'm attempting to scratch build hubcaps, I'm a sucker for punishment, I just put one up against the wheel and man it does look pretty sharp. I wish there were fewer blades, 14 per cap is a lot.

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

You're talking about 1961 here.... More is better!

Did you notice the car has 2 sets of fins. :D

8. impressive work on the several pounds hubcaps, Nads! i'm tryin' to imagine the face of your tire partner while you tell him to make a high speed balancing on only the caps! :D i stay tuned, have a nice weekend,

Carsten

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I know they're only kinda close but they'll work, I'm going to screw them through the center of the original caps so that they can be removed and installed instantly for show display, they really are too heavy to run. Now I've got to polish and assemble them all, I'm in for some serious work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greenblade and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Hubcaps are looking good.Nice work Nads

Greenblade likes this.
  11. AMcA

AMcA
    from Chicago

Wow, we see Nads himself! So that's what a lucky guy looks like.

12. This is extremely cool.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That ain't me, that's my pal JT, I remain a mystery.

14. Hey Nads...as the '61-62 caps are kinda scarce, and the '63-'64 caps are a dime a dozen (and ugly) and the same kinda thing, would you rather use some of the '63-64 caps?

I happen to know someone with waaaaay too many of 'em. And, I'm using '54 Cadillac caps on my '63, so they won't be missed.
    [​IMG]

15. Being a "H.A.M.B." runs in my family. Wish I had more spare time to help with this resurection. None the less, glad to assist when I can.
    This transformation is pure insperation, to move forward with my own projects.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Todd, these are 1962 caps on my car, I don't mind sacrificing them, they seem to be everywhere on ebay.

17. nice find autorama car!

18. No worries, Nads...

They were impossible for me to find for my '62 when I was looking...just thought I'd offer

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dude, you have helped immeasurably with all my projects.

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Ditto on that! Great work on an
    amazing and unique car!.Keep
    'er coming! A question too. I know
    you're nowhere near far enough
    along with the hard parts of this
    restoration, to consider this kind
    of stuff, but all the GM show cars
    I recall seeing at various shows
    and displays 'back in the day',
    if the hood was ever open, all had
    a bunch non-stock chrome parts
    on the engine and under the hood
    - most notably the usual, chrome
    plated valve cover and air cleaners,
    but also, stuff like pulleys, cooling
    fan, water pump, and various
    brackets etc. I guess there's no way
    of knowing if your particular car might
    have been done up like this when it
    was first used on the display circuit,
    but later on when everything else on
    the car is done, I think it'd be a cool
    and not inappropriate upgrade and
    just a bit of "icing on the cake". Any
    plans for some stuff like this, later on?

Mart3406
    =================

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The stuff under the hood is 100% stock, it was never dolled up with chrome, this car was yanked off of the production line and customized after the fact

22. go man go

the son in law is investing in a 3d printer oh the possibilities
    ...hmmmm we will see where this leads

23. swissmike

swissmike

3-d printing is a great tool and is evolving fast. I had parts in plastics, aluminum and stainless steel printed for prototypes. Metals require special heat treatment after sintering and warping is an issue. Something as big as a hubcap would be extremely pricey in metal. I paid $1000-2000 per piece for small 3"x8", basically flat parts.
    Plastics are cheaper, and there are options to chrome plate or metal plate to strengthen plastic SLA parts.
    Most printers would have a hard time accepting the size of a hubcap.

24. thanks for the heads up i am anxious to get toplay

25. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Ya' shoulda' sprung for some Titanium......... :D

26. Too much weight can become an issue. It will affect the wheel balance and / or it could fly off and tear up the wheel openings in the process.

27. They're for show only Bomb, as Nads mentioned earlier.

28. I missed that Peddro.

29. HamD

HamD

Nads,
    I watched "The Help" last night (not my choice) and I paid way too much attention to the wheels on the blue Cad convertible, thanks to you. You're a bad influence. Don't change.

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Got yourself a sweet set of Sputnik space caps there!

Those earliest b&w photos show that car in a very bright gold (silver?) and it really shows off those gorgeous lines well. I don't know what your future plans are for the car, but man I'd like to see it in that flattering color again.

What a sweet find. Tonight is the first time I've gotten to read the entire thread and I am super impressed with the car and the work you're putting into it. You're doing a great job.

My dad just painted his '64 CDV this week and I really love those long low lines. GM built those cars completely different (better) than any old Chevrolet or BOP, that's for sure.