Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 1961 Cadillac Eldorado GM factory custom off craigslist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Sep 17, 2012.

1. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

that's the euphemism of the year, I think. Skilled, he is indeed.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm not gonna repaint it, I don't have the time, I have polished it right good, it will look quite good, trust me, I may or may not repaint it, I'll have to think about it.

Greenblade likes this.
  3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The greatest band ever, Lux was the best frontman in all the history of rock n roll

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nads, obviously I haven't seen the paint in person, but I think you're definitely on the right path. I would restore all of the things you are restoring and leave the paint alone, as long as it polishes out OK. That's the color Cadillac put on the metal. Why take it off or cover it up unless it's unpresentable?

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Unfortunately it isn't Cadillac's paint, it was repainted perhaps a couple of times by GM and then at least once in this shade which is darker than the much prettier lighter gold which remains in some areas. It is a barn find of sorts and I have taken the liberty to restore some of the really damaged areas of paint. When time and patience permit I might well strip her down and give her the lacquer paintjob she once had but then the leather would look shabby.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was up until 11:30 last night detailing and getting all the lights to work, it was worth it, this car hasn't been this shiny and tarnish free in 30 years. All the wood is relacquered and protected. I wish I had time to get the top redone but I don't and it's not something I want to tackle myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greenblade likes this.
  7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Ooh, shiny! Looking good.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. cherokee

cherokee

Taking into account everything you've done already, don't sell yourself short. I'm sure you could do the top and make it just as good as the rest of the car.

9. you know how I feel about this statement. You bringing the Caddy to the Gala?

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

No, the bumper's not back and I've got lots still to do.

Viva Le Cramps>

11. dillinger trucking

dillinger trucking
    from minnesota

any restoration done to this car would only ruin the value of it.

its your nest egg

leave us drooling

12. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Beautiful work, Nads!
    Just noticed something else special here: note how both the speedometer and fuel gauge are calibrated; I have an old Dodge certified (police?) speedometer that has all those extra markings. Looks like there are some bubbles in its face; maybe it's a decal overlay?

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Turns out those markings and the clock face are not the same as stock, even these are unique. I'm not sure what it is but I suspect it's a screen print, it would have to be replicated professionally.

14. BadLuck

BadLuck

Awesome work Nads.. i love this thread.. bumper turned out "Bee-you-tee-ful"

15. AMcA

AMcA
    from Chicago

Ain't that always the way? And the the carpets might look sad once the upholstery is renewed. Tough call. And you absolutely can't replace the leather.

Leather, of course, does age better than paint.

But what kind of shape is the leather in? Any rips or tears? Or is it just deeply creased? Noticeably faded? It does look quite complete in the photos.

16. AMcA

AMcA
    from Chicago

That hunk of chrome on the center console . . . and the veneered chromed doors. Spectacular.

I'm presuming this console piece is 100% unique to the show car? Does any of this look familiar to anyone?

17. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Great history lesson, thanks for posting all this.

18. PJF

PJF

Bitchen

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The leather is very good, the problem is dried thread that's broken and the seams where the skins were tucked are coming apart. The driver's seat's outside welting has worn through and the piping is coming apart. My upholsterer is a wizard, he can fix all of it but it involves removing everything and taking the covers off the seat.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh BTW, the walnut knob on top of the shifter was obviously once a functional push down detent for releasing the transmission into the gears, it is broken now.

21. Nads, found this shot on the "vintage shots..."-thread and instantly thought of yer car!

[​IMG]

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That's the car as it was first built and badged as a Le Mans, Pontiac introduced their Le Mans in 1962 so that's the likely reason for the name change to the Eldoardo.

Gonna pick up the pieces to construct my hubcaps, watch this space.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's the start of the hubcaps, I got all the pieces waterjetted. I have to drill tap and polish each of these 56 ribs as well as polish and drill 12 rings. I gotta run a decorative rib down the center of each blade and then assemble everything to the stock hubcaps.
    I've got my work cut out for me but I really wanna have a decent replica of the original caps fitted to this unique car.
    [​IMG]

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hahaha... Nailed it! Go man go.

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I think I actually did nail it, they really are gonna look close without going to the ridiculous expense of actually casting the spinner, getting it chromed, etc. I gotta a lotta help from Eric making the cones for me, the waterjetting took no skill really, just punch in the numbers, knock it out. The polishing of the aluminum ribs isn't too bad but the stainless rings are gonna be a lotta work, I just have to go easy, do little everyday and the job will be done.

26. froghawk

froghawk

Wow! Outstanding solution for the wheelcover problem! How heavy will each cover be when assembled and will the weight be problem? Would they need to be balanced?

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I have my doubts that I'll be able to do much highway driving on these, they'll more than likely be for display only but stock 61 Caddy caps are really cheap and plentiful so I can swap them out.
    I'd really like a set of Buick Skylark wire wheels for the car too, they would look really killer although be kinda going backwards.

Here are pic of the original caps.
    Save the images and blow them up you can make out the details fairly well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  28. SIC98

SIC98

Those caps are going to be so sweet Nads, can't wait to see the Caddy in person, Billetproof?!?..Brian

29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I never noticed how those wheel covers appear to be fabricated and assembled like you are doing. I kinda thought they were a cone with openings punched out like louvers. IMO, you are doing some darn nice work on this car, Nads. I'm always looking forward to your updates, just to see the solutions you come up with.

30. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

I can't get over how cool this thing is, and how excellent it will be once finished. I'll say it again: this car is lucky it found you.

My cousin is over there in the land of the free (in Charlotte, NC. Guess what? he's not a car guy. Wish I could swap with him and send him back here to the land of diesel power and small mindedness.

Can't wait until I get over the other side of the pond. Give me 10 years, and save me some old wrecks!