Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 1961 Cadillac Eldorado GM factory custom off craigslist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Sep 17, 2012.

1. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

Try guys that do vintage Harleys. Locally in Poland one guy like that has small foundry where he casts unobtainable heads. He agreed to cast some parts for me very cheap. They required work, but they were new. And for something about 100$.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's a good thing these are the only parts missing or unrepairable on this car are those, well, and those hubcaps.

3. I haven't read through the entire thread yet Nads, but damn...this has me in awe. I'm glad you were able to pull the trigger on this. It's in the right hands.

Having had a '61 Fleetwood & a '62 DeVille the minute details that make this neither a '61 or a '62 are staggering to me. You're very fortunate it's so complete...if you need a '61 or '62 (or both) shop manual for reference, I'd be happy to send them your way.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Thank you much.

I had a 61 back in 1986, but I don't really remember all the details of it. I haven't had the car out in public but I'm sure I'll be getting many expert opinions on what it is, and to tell you the truth I didn't really know what I was looking at myself. It's turning out that the the car is more interesting and has even more history than I thought, and I think more is yet to come out. It's a damn fine car, that's all I can tell you, hardly any rust and in great condition.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Here's the hood molding I yanked off, it's made out of aluminum, not pot metal and it's rough. There was no copper put on this piece, just nickel and chrome and it's peeling off in sheets, luckily it's not a highly detailed piece and it'll plate well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

How the hell did I miss this?!?!?

Greenblade likes this.
  7. Sweet...I wasn't the last one to the party!

8. Well, there was that road trip and the fact you can be a little slow?:D

9. Elrod

Elrod

I just spent the last 30 minutes reading this thread with my jaw on the floor. You sir are one lucky man. I can't believe I missed this either.

Totally unreal. Good for you on pulling the trigger and then finding out what it was. Wow. There was a great tech thread about casting in Pewter a few weeks ago, using a router to cut a computer printed shape out in a piece of wood and then pouring the low heat pewter in. I immediately thought of that when I saw that "oh so sexy" Le mans logo in the factory photo.
    Maybe an idea or two in here --> http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731562

10. Elrod

Elrod

I don't think anyone posted this photo from the 1962 Chicago Auto Show. It's the photo that the book you referenced at the top used.

[​IMG]

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Elrod, that book is what settled it, I went home after seeing the car and pored over my books and hours later stumbled on this photo, I called the guy up first thing Friday morning and made a deal.

To be honest, I'd never noticed that car before because frankly it looks like any other Caddy at first and then you look closer and realize it's totally something else. This car had been forgotten amongst all the prototype and concept Cadillacs that were built, there's no mention of another Cadillac Le Mans besides the four that preceded this, but it resurfaced out of the blue. I'm still pinching myself to remind me it's true.

12. If you look closely at this pic you can notice the rear wheel openings on the one to the right,the difference in the fins,the front edge of the hood. Someone mentioned the fins stainless were filled in,but it looks like they are taller also.

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The hood is fiberglass, it's got a raised edge and has a light up hood ornament that's very plain and elegant.

The fins aren't any taller, you can see inside and see where they were welded shut.

The wheel openings in the back are totally hand formed as is all the molding that goes around them.

14. My dad's lathe has a 15" swing on it, and I've wanted to do some spun aluminum, maybe we can make the wheel covers and have them plated nickle to look like stainless.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

How do you make the details?

16. HamD

HamD

If you make them, please for the sake of all who love fabrication, share some pictures / video / write-up of the process.

I would think with a lot of work, you could stamp detailed sections and maybe TIG those to a spun smooth section. But mostly, I'm just enjoying this thread.

Nads, you gotta social media purvey this car as worth a ton and then get the bank to accept is as payoff for your pad. I mean, how many car garage does it have? :rolleyes: :p :cool:

17. Rocket56

Rocket56

Amazing car , it's like winning the lottery. Nice to see some history untouched.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

3 garages, 7 cars, but I gotta get outta here.

BTW, I found those hubcaps, well I don't have them but I kinda think I know where they went.
    I bought Howell's book Cadillac Eldorado, and on one of the full size clays of the development of the 1967 model there they are. GM couldn't possibly have made another set, well they could have, but why would they use an old design for a brand new FWD car? I have no doubt it's the same caps, for all I know they might still be sitting in a room somewhere at the the Design Center.

19. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

I just finished reading the entire thread its a great find indeed and i want to say your home and grounds looks real nice too

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was feeling a bit low last night and I finally have her legal and insured so I took her out for a spin under the stars, it's been a long time since I've been in a convertible like that, it was sheer joy.

21. Man that is one bad ass ride. Congrats man. Awesome.

22. Elrod

Elrod

There is something about driving an old convertible under the stars and just listening to the engine and the noise of the tires on the pavement that can reset a bad day.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Well these tires kinda suck, noisy ass snow tires.

24. I'm just looking at the photo and they look like they are shaped different and taller. They resemble the 57-58 fins to me, with the flat top. Maybe i'm wrong....

NOTE: Just googled 61 Caddy conv and looked at the fins on a stock one. They are the same,without the trim and taillight.

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I think the front fenders are longer, I'm not 100% certain until I see a stock 61, but they look longer to me.

I'm off to Publix to get some dog food, any excuse to go for a drive. The wife and kid are at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween.

26. 62dartman

62dartman

Enjoy it man!! That is one awesome car/find/story!!! Congrats and keep us updated!!!

27. Elrod

Elrod

Cool! Can you post a pic of the clay car?

28. Awesome.....

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Great idea! Imagine some of the old codgers who actually worked on the car in Detroit telling you their stories! Something like that should be recorded for posterity.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  30. EdselRich

EdselRich

Nice ride. Glad you got it. I could only imagine someone else picking it up and throwing 13" Dayton's and hydraulics on it

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app