Register now to get rid of these ads!

I-beam/Axle Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fishtank, Feb 13, 2007.

1. fishtank

fishtank

How are dropped axles/beams created? Tubular I-beams and axles I understand, but what about dropped factory peices. Do they weld in new sections of steel, or are the stock beams stretched?

The reason I ask is because I would like to lower my 65 F-100. The lowest I-beams I have found are 3". Is there a reason no one makes lower beams? Is it completely insane to think that one could make their own lowering beams with 4 or 5 inches of drop. If so, would it be possible to build in enough compensation to correct excessive camber?

This may be a ridiculous idea, but it has been running through my head this morning. Any and all ideas are welcome.

If I'm a dumbass, don't hesitate to let me know!

2. 201

Heated and streched on the ends where the factory rise is. They might not drop them more because of issues with tie rods not having a clear path or other other fit problems. There's a couple of guys on the HAMB that do the dropping and shurly know more.

3. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Mor-Drop Axles in California did this modification for about 45 years on an exchange basis. Rod and Custom did a feature story on the owner a few years ago. The shop originally was a blacksmith and he devised his own jigs for heating them cherry red and then dropping them while maintaining the correct spindle angles and width. The article ended with the fact the owner had the place for sale because he wanted to retire. His ads have disappeared so I presume nobody is doing it on a custom basis anymore. If you want to know more I will dig out the article and scan it for you. I found it interesting since almost all early dropped axles came through one guy's shop until speed equipment makers went to mass production of tube axles.

4. fishtank

fishtank

That's what I figured. Would it be possible to weld in new sections of steel? If you beveled the edges, you should be able to get good penetration. It seems like you would be able to control your angles pretty easily too. Does anyone know if it has been done this way, and if they held up?

How much does it cost to have them dropped? I wonder if it would be cheaper than buying dropped beams from a manufacturer.

5. Crankhole

Crankhole

Contact 5wbomber here on the HAMB. I believe he could drop your axle.

6. swsimon

swsimon

7. fishtank

fishtank

Thanks for the links Richard.

8. haring

haring

Guess I got lucky then.

Titus dropped a '32 heavy commercial axle for me.

It's bee-U-tee-ful.

There is someone else on the HAMB that drops axles. I forget who. Check the HAMB-o-dex. And there might be someone here selling NEW drop axles for F-100s, if I remember right.

9. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

the '65s have Twin I-beams, right? everyone else is talkin' about traditional dropped axles (or I-beams) for which there are many ways to drop (as stated).

ive never done one, but i know if the 3" drop offerred by DreamBeams and the like isnt enough...you can hit it with a complete front end (MII, clip, etc). i arrived at this decision myself due to the cost for droppin an I-beam and still not gettin low enough (F100).

10. fishtank

fishtank

Yeah, I've got an 84 Town Car that I've considered using. You can use the whole frame, but you would have to cut the bed floor out to clear the rear. Not a big deal except I want to actually use my truck. I've also considered just using the front clip. It would be nice, but I'm just not sure I want to go that much trouble if I can find an easier alternative. I know you can use Aerostar, as well as, late model Crown Vic clips too. Decisions, decisions!

I have a 79 parts truck with all the disc brake stuff that I could use with the dropped beams. It would be easy because it's all Ford truck stuff.

11. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

Hey I can drop them however much you want, just dropping them 3" they dont get badly pinched from the stretch, We preferr our axle to look good and have a safe factor on em'!!!!
    here is a 4" drop
    [​IMG]