Register now to get rid of these ads!

I-beam axle dimension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Nov 24, 2006.

1. mramc1

mramc1

If you read my earlier post about running a panhard bar on my Model A you will see that I was about to run a tube axle with radius rods. After help from the guys here and internet research I see that running that combination isn't recommended. For the short term (money wise) I am going to convert my radius rods over to a 4-bar setup. My goal is to save the cash and scrounge for an I-beam axle to run in the future.

Question. Did Ford ever make a stock I-beam axle with a perch center distance of 34 1/2"s? Let me explain why I need this.

I have my current tube axle set up with the spring behind it and radius rods welded on at 34 1/2" center for the 29" spring I am running. The tube axle isn't dropped, but I set the frame and spring up so that the frontend sits low. When I convert to an I-beam axle I will need one that is undropped to maintain the same ride height I have right now. It will have to have 34 1/2" perch centers to work with my spring. I see there are 4" drop axles available with this perch dimension, but can't seem to find a stock axle that matches. The closest I could find was 36". Any help would be much appreciated.

Josh Quick

2. no , ford never made an axle with 34-1/2" spacing on the king pin pech holes.

Chassis engineering makes a 4" drop axle with 35"